ADVERTISEMENT

Is Z the real deal or ……

Looks good to me. I’ve seen enough to think he should be ahead of Bradshaw in the rotation.
This will be the sticking point…and if Bradshaw was more explosive and athletic (like Willie Cauley Stein) I’d can see what he’d offer over Ivisic….but i see about the same level of agility im Big Z and Bradshaw. So then becomes skill level and basketball IQ….ti which Ivisic has way more then Bradshaw

I think we all have a hunch what’s going to happen wjtb Cal….but no way I’d play Ivisic less than 20 minutes a game wjtb that size and skill

This will be the sticking point…and if Bradshaw was more explosive and athletic (like Willie Cauley Stein) I’d can see what he’d offer over Ivisic….but i see about the same level of agility im Big Z and Bradshaw. So then becomes skill level and basketball IQ….ti which Ivisic has way more then Bradshaw

I think we all have a hunch what’s going to happen wjtb Cal….but no way I’d play Ivisic less than 20 minutes a game wjtb that size and skill
All Cal has to do is play everyone around 15-20 minutes a game with Mitchell/Reeves/Dilly/DJ/Sheppard more toward the high 20’s- low 30’s depending on the game. We will be fresh with talent in every lineup.

All Cal has to do is play everyone around 15-20 minutes a game with Mitchell/Reeves/Dilly/DJ/Sheppard more toward the high 20’s- low 30’s depending on the game. We will be fresh with talent in every lineup.
But if you do the math….even that isn’t going to work out minute wise

PG - Wagner 25 Reed 15
SG - Reeves 15 - Reed 10 - Dilly 15
Sf - Reeves 10 - Dilly 10 - Edwards- 15 - Thiero 5
PF - Mitchell 25 - Ivisic 15
C - Bradshaw 20 - Ugo 20

And even that distribution gives Thiero 5 snd Ivisic 15..which isn’t enough

- It’s obvious Edwards doesn’t belong in court…Cal ain’t going to pull him…which screws Thiero who gives this team what we need most …defense and toughness
- secondly …..if Ivisic isn’t Jeremy Lin mirage….you got to play him more then Bradshaw and Ugo…he brings their size and same level athleticism…but eons more skill snd iq
Finally…Ugo Bradshaw inside….i see Ugo as more impactful. Much better rim protection and better on glad ( I thought Bradshaw would be better)

I'll say this, he plays much more mature and physical than Bradshaw (and Onyenso, at times).

He was in better position for numerous rebounds that Bradshaw and Onyenso haven't been there for.

There's a scheme issue though because every UK big man gets sealed off on drives.
Also Z seals off the defenders much better than Bradshaw and O. Bradshaw looks lost, but he is inexperienced compared to Z.

Z has some kahonnas too after taking that cheap shot to the mid section on the other end of the floor he threw a deceptive elbow to the jaw got teed up but I think it was a good T Georgia really came at Z hard the second half

He's a good example of how European players are generally more fundamentally skilled than US players coming out of high school. AAU ball seems to be more about flash and highlights where over there they aren't worried about that. I see college players not doing simple things right that I was taught how to do in the 5th grade. I blame middle school coaches for not teaching those fundamentals and running drills in practice to enhance them. In my son's 4 years playing middle school his coach didn't teach 1 thing concerning any fundamental skill.

He has great footwork, with bounce, and has both inside and outside offensive skills. Hopefully, he can reject and rebound without fouling. He’s really good.

I think @ South Carolina, probably the most physical team adding UT in the mix. If Z can take the beating physically against these teams, we are going to be hard to beat. I see teams going at him trying to beat on him, he lost his temper a bit yesterday. He is a great kid and I hate to see it but we are getting ready to go into our bully ball part of the schedule.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
He is the best 7' player for UK and it's not close. I like what Ugo brings on the defensive end, and in another year - if he commits to it - he will be a FORCE with his half-hook and another back to the basket move. Bradshaw, to me, is a distant third in this group.

I just hope Cal puts the kid on the floor enough to match his skills/value. He is a pick-n-roll NIGHTMARE for the opposition.

I agree that he is better than Bradshaw after seeing him play last night. IMO Bradshaw should be the 3rd big man off the bench but I don't see Cal doing that.
Love the block on the inbounds play last night. Kid is going to get better with each game. We were told that he as a great passer and a good shooter and he lived up to it last nigh.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Anyone else have visions of the NCAA calling an emergency meeting after the game last night to try and figure out a way to change their decision on Big Z?

Anyone else get goosebumps and start giggling uncontrollably after the third 3 and that no look behind the back pass?

He is the best 7' player for UK and it's not close. I like what Ugo brings on the defensive end, and in another year - if he commits to it - he will be a FORCE with his half-hook and another back to the basket move. Bradshaw, to me, is a distant third in this group.

I just hope Cal puts the kid on the floor enough to match his skills/value. He is a pick-n-roll NIGHTMARE for the opposition.
This for sure.

One of the biggest issues with the other 2, is they seem to have trouble finishing in the pick n roll. They aren't as smooth/efficient in getting open and back to the basket. Bradshaw does ok sometimes. But then they seem to have an issue holding onto the pass. Keeping the ball high and going straight up.

Z has awesome footwork and gets back to the basket. He catches the ball strong and dunks it. I think this was only one time last night, but if you watch those Youtube highlights, he does a really good job in the pick n roll situations.

Furthermore, the pick and pop. His 3 point shot looks so clean and effortless. He seems much more comfortable than Bradshaw putting it up from deep.

I keep watching that behind the back pass to Reeves. At no time did I see him even look to see if he was there. He just knew it. His IQ seems to be really high. He did all his damage in 16 minutes. That's a scary thought for future opponents. His debut was one of the better feel good moments in my entire time of watching UK basketball. I'm still giddy as all get out just thinking about it.

That pass was insane. No look, covered lots of distance, relatively accurate, and was just a casual play for him lol. Nevermind the fact he literally just got in the game for the first time.

Trying to pump my own brakes but he really easily looks like a top 5 talent. A raw version of chet that's much more durable and better offensively.

He's the real deal! A future pro! Not only offensively skilled, but you can already tell he's gonna be a great rebounder and shot blocker! Great hands! Goes up with two hands and just gobbles up rebounds! Very athletic for his size. Great timing and a quick leaper when challenging shots at the rim. Will help our perimeter defense also, with his length he'll be able to block or alter shots all the way out to the 3 point line.

I want to see him prove he can be productive now that opponents know they have to plan for him before declaring him the answer to all our problems. I doubt Georgia had done any preparation for him since he was only declared eligible hours before tip-off, and he had that initial hot streak where he made 4 jumpers in the span of about 5 minutes, then was much quieter in the second half.

That being said, I can see why everyone is excited. You can’t fake being 7’2 with good feet, passing vision, and a smooth stroke. He absolutely should be a weapon for us going forward if the staff can scheme up ways to keep him involved.

I'll say this, he plays much more mature and physical than Bradshaw (and Onyenso, at times).

He was in better position for numerous rebounds that Bradshaw and Onyenso haven't been there for.

There's a scheme issue though because every UK big man gets sealed off on drives.
After one game with Z, if I were asked to rank our bigs in order of impact, it would be easy (again, one game sample).

1. Z
2. Ugonna
3. Bradshaw

If I were to rank just Ugonna and Bradshaw, I still think Ugonna has proven to be more impactful than Aaron. In fact, I see Bradshaw being more of a project than I thought, by far.

I no basketball coach but I assume Z is a 4. Does he get Edwards minutes? Can/Will Cal have Bradshaw,Z and Mitchell on the Floor for 10-15 minutes a game?
I certainly hope he gets Edwards minutes. I was all on the rooting for Edwards train, but he's still not shown us one flash of this lottery pick he was projected to be. A couple of threes, but still missing bunny layups and just not good on defense, at all. And he regularly looks like he's wearing concrete shoes when he's trying to dunk. For a while there in December I think he jammed/missed two or three dunk attempts because he wasn't high enough.

We have players that should easily move Edwards to the bench. But alas, we will continue to see him on the starting lineup.

This for sure.

One of the biggest issues with the other 2, is they seem to have trouble finishing in the pick n roll. They aren't as smooth/efficient in getting open and back to the basket. Bradshaw does ok sometimes. But then they seem to have an issue holding onto the pass. Keeping the ball high and going straight up.

Z has awesome footwork and gets back to the basket. He catches the ball strong and dunks it. I think this was only one time last night, but if you watch those Youtube highlights, he does a really good job in the pick n roll situations.

Furthermore, the pick and pop. His 3 point shot looks so clean and effortless. He seems much more comfortable than Bradshaw putting it up from deep.
Bradshaw physically behaves like a guard in the sense that he always crouches and brings the ball down too low. He rarely takes advantage of his long arms and height and keep the ball up high. And he's got butterfingers.

On defense, it's the same. He crouches and puts his hands in the back of the offensive player instead of arms up and standing up holding his position. I find myself just shaking my head watching him play D in that ridiculous crouched stance. A guy over 7' tall and he shrinks himself to 6'6" with his ass out and bent over, arms bent and hands on the back of the player he's defending.

Once in a while I see him remembering to put hands straight up, but it's almost like he's stuck in the bad habit he got from high school/AAU, then remembers what the coaches have been teaching him in little mini-spurts.

Endurance.
Patience.

I do two kinds of old man exercise. Resistance and aerobics. I've been told that your endurance fades fastest, that if I'm ever tempted to skimp, skimp on the resistance. Strength lingers longer. Z will take time to build up his endurance so that he can play significant minutes.

But there's no worry around here. RR is known for its rationality, balance and patience.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
The spin move and missed dunk was impressive.
That was Anthony Davis like. none of our other 2 bigs have that sort of coordination and handles.
We need to see him play a few games to be sure, but he appears to be our best big right now. (as crazy as that sounds)
Beautiful outside stroke, can rebound, block shots, pass well, and he was holding his ground pretty damn well against a legitimate 7 ft 275-pound Tchewa. I had thought he was going to struggle with size like Bradshaw does, but his legs and lower body aren't really that skinny, so he can hold his position fairly well inside. Barring last night's game being a total fluke, I don't see how he doesn't take a lot of minutes from the other bigs. Unless Bradshaw starts playing in a way he hasn't shown up to this point, I would put him as the 3rd option right now.

I know nothing about his past. Seems like he would be a well known European future star if he’s as good as he looked today. Does his background project him to be so good ?
He's good, but you also have to consider no team had scouted for him, Georgia had no idea he could shoot 3's hence why he was so open...he won't be moving forward

Reactions: Samurai Cat
He's good, but you also have to consider no team had scouted for him, Georgia had no idea he could shoot 3's hence why he was so open...he won't be moving forward
Minimal difference w/ with out scouting in regards to their ability to offset this 7ft'r. He is too fluid and agile. Yes he wont be left wide open too often, but wont matter. He looks like a guard shooting the three; except his release is over a foot higher.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
If you compare Z's stats with Bradsaw (for that game) he beat him in every category, more points, more assists, more rebounds, more blocks, more steals and that was in 11 minutes vs 17 minutes for Bradshaw. It could be said it was a lucky nite for Z with 3 threes, but all his other stats are effort stats and I say start him over Bradshaw. There is a lot of good that comes from showing up being bigger and stronger and carrying more weight.

Looks good to me. I’ve seen enough to think he should be ahead of Bradshaw in the rotation.
I had no real expectations for him going in but after about one minute of action, before he had taken a shot, I just thought he looked more athletic than Bradshaw or Onyenso in the way he moved around. That he was a better passer than either became apparent real quick. And I was a flabbergasted as anybody when he started draining shots from three. Most amazing debut I've ever seen!

Exactly this!!

His presence right now is better than any front line player we have.

He’s a big Reed Sheppard as far as just knowing.

You can’t describe it. But you can see it.

I had no real expectations for him going in but after about one minute of action, before he had taken a shot, I just thought he looked more athletic than Bradshaw or Onyenso in the way he moved around. That he was a better passer than either became apparent real quick. And I was a flabbergasted as anybody when he started draining shots from three. Most amazing debut I've ever seen!
Same. I had zero expectations this season for him. I was surprised to see him coming into the game so early.

It was probably the most spectacular first 5 -7 minutes of game action I’ve ever seen from a player here, no exaggeration.

Agreed. He looked legitimate before he even did all those amazing things. Better body and moves more athletically than the other 2 bigs. Looks like a man among boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT