ADVERTISEMENT

Is Lincoln Riley really being seriously considered as an NFL coach?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
So far, his USC teams have followed the same blueprint as his OU teams: high powered, adaptable offense with only a hint of defense. Would his system work in the NFL where the athletes are much better, the schemes on both offense and defense much more sophisticated, etc.? No team in the NFL runs a true spread passing offense which is what Riley has run at both OU and USC. And the abysmal performance of his defenses over the years (when playing at least decent teams) would certainly give me pause if I were an NFL GM looking for a new coach.

This year's Trojan defense is truly awful. Pretty much gives up 40 points and 500+ yards to even mediocre teams. Cannot stop anyone. I'm guessing within 50 miles of the USC campus there is at least 100 5.6+ rated kids who play defense in HS. And that doesn't count the nationwide appeal USC has with great tradition, good school, being in LA and sweater girls to 'help' your recruitment. You're telling me you can't recruit and develop a better defense than what they run out there every week?

He needs to stay farrrrr away from his defense. Hire a good DC and give him complete control.

Btw, I seem to remember us being interested in bringing him on as an OC when he was at ECU. He wound up at OU and the rest is history

Reactions: JPFisher
He needs to stay farrrrr away from his defense. Hire a good DC and give him complete control.

Btw, I seem to remember us being interested in bringing him on as an OC when he was at ECU. He wound up at OU and the rest is history
I think he was going to come here but Bob came in and took him lmao

The NFL will be begging for offense after the scoring being waaaaay down this year. So I can see a team like the raiders rolling the dice.

Don't see it either.

BTW, fired his DC Sunday after being torched by Washington, just the latest D failure.
Griggs was the DC Riley hired at Oklahoma after he fired.....Mike Stoops

At a certain point it becomes clear an offense minded head coach will never put a good D side on the field. Why, because of practice culture. defense is discouraged from blowing up plays or hit precious offensive skill players. Is it any wonder they can't tackle worth a damn in real games.

At a certain point it becomes clear an offense minded head coach will never put a good D side on the field. Why, because of practice culture. defense is discouraged from blowing up plays or hit precious offensive skill players. Is it any wonder they can't tackle worth a damn in real games.
^I think you've hit the nail on the head. If you practice against a finesse/passing offense, your defense is most likely going to be a finesse defense. You get used to playing 5 and 6 DBs in practice but not stopping the run on 3rd and 2 in a physical league (B10, SEC, etc.). Going 5-wide and shotgun on 3rd and 2 in practice is not going to prepare your defense against a 2 TE jumbo package against a physical team.

I understand the college game is more wide open and you do, many times, have significant talent differences. But, at USC, there is no excuse whatsoever to continually get gashed on plain dive plays and give up tons of points and yards weekly.

I correlate stoops and offense/pace of play to Riley and defense. Some guys just see the world a certain way and even though they know it has to get better just can’t seem to make progress when everything philosophically is weighted to a certain way and seen from a certain lens.

He's obviously gotten to where he is because of offense. Defense or lack thereof isn't on him.

The league is all offense now, even more so than CFB which isn't far behind and down to essentially one coaching tree. You got Saban, Kirby, and Dan Lanning who can be serious and consistent contenders but even those guys have high powered offenses.

The teams in the league hanging around later in the post season all coached by offensive minds who are specifically gifted in the passing game and coaching QBs within whatever their system is.

All the division leaders right now but 2 are coached by offensive guys. New Orleans has a defensive guy and Baltimore has Harbaugh, who I don't think was ever officially a DC anywhere but a special team's guy.

So yeah, Rielly is probably going to get a phone call every year from multiple teams in the league.

He's obviously gotten to where he is because of offense. Defense or lack thereof isn't on him.

The league is all offense now, even more so than CFB which isn't far behind and down to essentially one coaching tree. You got Saban, Kirby, and Dan Lanning who can be serious and consistent contenders but even those guys have high powered offenses.

The teams in the league hanging around later in the post season all coached by offensive minds who are specifically gifted in the passing game and coaching QBs within whatever their system is.

All the division leaders right now but 2 are coached by offensive guys. New Orleans has a defensive guy and Baltimore has Harbaugh, who I don't think was ever officially a DC anywhere but a special team's guy.

So yeah, Rielly is probably going to get a phone call every year from multiple teams in the league.
Interesting that Saban, Smart and Lanning all have a D background.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT