ADVERTISEMENT

Is Grant Bingham still on the team ?

There's only been one, highly ranked QB transfer in since DWade arrived on campus. Sheron is another story as both Levis and Leary transferred in.

I'm not ready to write off either of them. If the staff thinks they can develop them into great QBs, who here is to say any different? Taking a in a great transfer portal player doesn't mean you don't have confidence in them. It just says you take the best available and see what shakes out.

No one is HANDED anything at this level. You have to go take it from all competition. Maybe one of our backups can do that this spring, regardless of who we might pick up from the portal.
Do you think we’ll be taking portal Qb when Bolley or Saunders have been at UK a few years?

I’d bet baring injury this next year will rhe last portal Qb for a while…so that indeed says something

Do you think we’ll be taking portal Qb when Bolley or Saunders have been at UK a few years?

I’d bet baring injury this next year will rhe last portal Qb for a while…so that indeed says something
I will be interested to see how they handle this . I would think they would love to redshirt Boley . I’m thinking he will have every chance to be the starter after redshirting. Will they bring in a portal guy to compete against him ? Will there be any upperclassman left for backups if he wins the job ? Curious how it plays out.

Reactions: K_TIME

Yes, depending on the talent level of the QB. You ALWAYS take the best available talent you can. A lot can happen in a few years. Injuries happen. Coaching changes happen. Transfers out happen as well.

If your current QB is better, you probably won't have anyone interested in transferring in because of the competition. Yet, if the team is stacked and playmakers are there, you may have QBs interested anyway. You want competition so there's always someone pushing everyone to improve.

What hurt UK for many years was having one good player at a position and no depth. Our 1st stringers only had to be good enough to beat out decent players and walk ons.

I think of a DE or OLB that never pushed himself until his junior year, because he knew had the starting job nailed down. He finally started working hard and trying to develop before his senior year, but it was too late to start doing that to make the league. We need quality depth to help propel the roster forward at all positions.

Yes, depending on the talent level of the QB. You ALWAYS take the best available talent you can. A lot can happen in a few years. Injuries happen. Coaching changes happen. Transfers out happen as well.

If your current QB is better, you probably won't have anyone interested in transferring in because of the competition. Yet, if the team is stacked and playmakers are there, you may have QBs interested anyway. You want competition so there's always someone pushing everyone to improve.

What hurt UK for many years was having one good player at a position and no depth. Our 1st stringers only had to be good enough to beat out decent players and walk ons.

I think of a DE or OLB that never pushed himself until his junior year, because he knew had the starting job nailed down. He finally started working hard and trying to develop before his senior year, but it was too late to start doing that to make the league. We need quality depth to help propel the roster forward at all positions.
On paper..Bolley and Saunders are better prospects then Keron and Wade….and once Beau Allen bounced it was a foregone conclusion after Levi’s we’d be back to portal

I agree on paper is one thing snd in field another…and Beau Allen was as near in rating as Bolley and Saunders…so we’ll see

But I’m still predicting we won’t be portal for Qb after this next one we’ll go for this season

Reactions: Girthang
On paper..Bolley and Saunders are better prospects then Keron and Wade….and once Beau Allen bounced it was a foregone conclusion after Levi’s we’d be back to portal

I agree on paper is one thing snd in field another…and Beau Allen was as near in rating as Bolley and Saunders…so we’ll see

But I’m still predicting we won’t be portal for Qb after this next one we’ll go for this season
There was a guy on Van Hiles show awhile back who is a high school talent scout. He really liked Boley and said he had a high ceiling . But he said Saunders is the absolute real deal who dominates in one of the best high school football divisions in the entire country. He said ,in his opinion ,UK hadn’t been involved with a quarterback like Saunders since Hal Mumme was recruiting Drew Brees . TIFWIW.

Last edited:

I would likely say that Coen will go after the best portal QB available. There’s a chance that Leary could get a waiver given the amount of time he has missed with injury. If the latter doesn’t happen then expect a transfer guy to come in January to at least compete for a starting spot.

I think they’ll take another transfer QB, but there’s going to be a lot of NIL needs (good sophomore players being enticed to transfer, compensating Cox/Sanders from going pro by offering more than 6/7 round signing bonus, etc.) so either the budget has to go way up or they’ll take a more affordable option.

None of the current backups can be trusted by the fact none got a whiff of the field when Leary struggled.

Mark Stoops doesn't do quick yanks of quarterbacks, hasn't for 10 yrs. Once a guy wins the job in Aug then he is the guy for the next 12 games no matter what unless injured.

Personally not thrilled at another yr of a 1 season rental qb who may or may not fit in the culture, system. Plus if UK brings in 1 they will have to get 1 or 2 more because unquestionably Wade & Sheron leave.

Mark Stoops doesn't do quick yanks of quarterbacks, hasn't for 10 yrs. Once a guy wins the job in Aug then he is the guy for the next 12 games no matter what unless injured.

Personally not thrilled at another yr of a 1 season rental qb who may or may not fit in the culture, system. Plus if UK brings in 1 they will have to get 1 or 2 more because unquestionably Wade & Sheron leave.
For sure....you will likely lose all the Qbs and you'd have to bring in 2 Qbs...a starter and a backup (that sounds like an impossible sell)...I'd hate to have Bolley as backup going into 2024.

Reactions: JHB4UK
For sure....you will likely lose all the Qbs and you'd have to bring in 2 Qbs...a starter and a backup (that sounds like an impossible sell)...I'd hate to have Bolley as backup going into 2024.
Me too . Even if we didn’t bring in another quarterback and let Wade and Sheron compete for the job , theres a pretty good chance the loser of the battle transfers . So that’s not a good situation either. I don’t know what’s the deal with Hogan . That whole deal is strange to me .

Reactions: seccats04
Me too . Even if we didn’t bring in another quarterback and let Wade and Sheron compete for the job , theres a pretty good chance the loser of the battle transfers . So that’s not a good situation either. I don’t know what’s the deal with Hogan . That whole deal is strange to me .
Lack of offensive philosophy. Will always be a problem till that changes.

Reactions: seccats04
I would likely say that Coen will go after the best portal QB available. There’s a chance that Leary could get a waiver given the amount of time he has missed with injury. If the latter doesn’t happen then expect a transfer guy to come in January to at least compete for a starting spot.

Assuming he even wants one (one would think his age could be a negative factor already) I wonder if the approval would come in time to avoid us being boom or bust?

We can't go into next year with Wade/sheron/boley as starting QB.

Reactions: maroon79 and K_TIME
Me too . Even if we didn’t bring in another quarterback and let Wade and Sheron compete for the job , theres a pretty good chance the loser of the battle transfers .
Easy to solve. Nobody wins the job until Aug 31 2024 at 9 am. No portal to go into.
Assuming he even wants one (one would think his age could be a negative factor already) I wonder if the approval would come in time to avoid us being boom or bust?

We can't go into next year with Wade/sheron/boley as starting QB.
The coaches are smarter and more informed than us. They know at this point what Wade & Sheron likely project and can develop into. If they aren't SEC starting QB quality, we portal again in Dec. And they probably have a good idea of targets who would be interested of coming here.

If, if they portal qb again the next question - 1 yr or 2? Do they want the 2025 qb competition to be 2nd yr Cutter Boley & true frosh Stone? Or would they rather a vet still be on the 2025 roster?

Tough questions. That's why Stoops and Coen make all their money.

Easy to solve. Nobody wins the job until Aug 31 2024 at 9 am. No portal to go into.

The coaches are smarter and more informed than us. They know at this point what Wade & Sheron likely project and can develop into. If they aren't SEC starting QB quality, we portal again in Dec. And they probably have a good idea of targets who would be interested of coming here.

If, if they portal qb again the next question - 1 yr or 2? Do they want the 2025 qb competition to be 2nd yr Cutter Boley & true frosh Stone? Or would they rather a vet still be on the 2025 roster?

Re portal QB, I'm putting in my order for Tulane's Michael Pratt. Have no idea to his availability but I'd want first refusal. Open up the checkbook, really good player!

Imo it will be 1 because I think they want boley or saunders to have a realistic chance to start the next season

Deuce Hogan is a real enigma, a mystery man. Transfer from Iowa, 4* QB from a good Texas HS program who had Big 12/Big 10/SEC offers, walked on at UK(assume he's on scholarship now) but has not factored in at UK at all. One wonders if maybe he's had injury problems but we just don't know, he's just not mentioned, name seldom comes up. Would like to see some of the crack KY sports media pursue his story.

There was a guy on Van Hiles show awhile back who was a high school talent scout. He really liked Boley and said he had a high ceiling . But he said Saunders is the absolute real deal who dominates in one of the best high school football divisions in the entire country. He said ,in his opinion ,UK hadn’t been involved with a quarterback like Saunders since Hal Mumme was recruiting Drew Brees . TIFWIW.
If he is that good will we be able to hold onto him?

Deuce Hogan is a real enigma, a mystery man. Transfer from Iowa, 4* QB from a good Texas HS program who had Big 12/Big 10/SEC offers, walked on at UK(assume he's on scholarship now) but has not factored in at UK at all. One wonders if maybe he's had injury problems but we just don't know, he's just not mentioned, name seldom comes up. Would like to see some of the crack KY sports media pursue his story.
I believe 99% of the people on this board could do what our local media people do .

That's why I don't pay attention to online player ratings. I look at professional scouting evaluations and offer sheets.

Also, it isn't a secret that some states have higher levels of hs competition than others. Generally speaking, a hs football from GA or FL is going to be much more ready for Power 5 competition than a hs player from WV, IN, or KY. This is why an amateur like me can tell more by watching game film of a GA prospect than watching a KY prospect. If a hs prospect consistently looks good playing against competition in GA, that means more than when a prospect in Elizabethtown or Paintsville looks good on film. The reasons are obvious.

This does not mean good Power 5 players don't come from KY. Of course they do. Shaun Alexander, Jedrick Wills, Landon Young, Wandale Robinson, Octavious Oxendine, Ty Bryant, etc. But the numbers of KY hs players who go on to excel at the Power 5 level is low, and there are multiple factors including the relatively small total number of KY hs football players and the relatively lower level of competition in KY. So if you see two hs players with the same online rating, one from KY and the other from GA, chances are the player from GA will be more ready for Power 5 competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT