ADVERTISEMENT

Is Deone Walker overrated?

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
I never really see this guy get many sacks. Seems like he just eats blocks more than actually pressure the QB. Could he be helped by a better edge? Or is he just kinda overrated?

I never really see this guy get many sacks. Seems like he just eats blocks more than actually pressure the QB. Could he be helped by a better edge? Or is he just kinda overrated?

No but he's the guy on defense the staff is afraid to hold accountable because they don't want him to transfer.

He loafs on plays away from him, he gets cheap shot penalties, jumps offsides, doesn't keep his pass rush lane, and should absolutely be playing nose because that would be his best position.

But they know he's a talent and they're afraid instilling some discipline will make him leave.

No but he's the guy on defense the staff is afraid to hold accountable because they don't want him to transfer.

He loafs on plays away from him, he gets cheap shot penalties, jumps offsides, doesn't keep his pass rush lane, and should absolutely be playing nose because that would be his best position.

But they know he's a talent and they're afraid instilling some discipline will make him leave.
pitiful.

No he’s not overrated. He’s proving that he was probably underrated. He’s a stud and it will be hard to hang on to him. Someone will try to throw NIL money at him For sure. He’s the kinda player that saban loves.

He is KY’s best Defensive player playing with some average ones getting most of the attention from other opponents OC’s. He does take plays off but when he wants to be a game wrecker he is, just not often enough

He’s is absolutely not overrated lol yall crazy. He got home growing up to do but he’s the real deal. First round talent

Reactions: RunninRichie
1. I think UK fans overrate him. Not an expert on SEC DT....but I'd argue the Texas AM DT is more productive than Walker. Tennessee DT is way more productive. The Mizzou DT is more productive. So is Deonne a second team all SEC kid..?
2. Many said this before the season.....why they don't slot him at NG and Silver as the back up was stupid coaching by White/Stoops. Ox needed to beef up and get back to DT....but we're playing with him as DE still.
3. The major scheme issue that is fair to address.....we run 3-4 and our DL are coached to occupy a gap vs. strive to pentrate and hunt for TFL a bit more. We basically want to occupy blockers and hope our LB clean up teh rest. I think this is fundamental coaching flaw by Stoops in modern era defensive football. We get destroyed with pulling plays by OLine as our DLine never explode off snap and beat pulling plays from backside.

At the end Walker is a talented kid....but he takes a ton of plays off to rest. We'd be best suited to ask him to play his ass off at NG and then let him come off field to rest every two series and let Silver give him a blow at NG. To play him on weakside DT was dumb...he's a NG all the way and will be in NFL.

His role shouldn’t really be to get sacks, he’s supposed to be a nose tackle who blows up the center and stops inside runs. Players like him don’t usually even register a lot of tackles, he’s supposed to command extra blocking attention. We play him at edge sometimes because our other edges are woefully bad, sorry not sorry.

However, the staff has baby footed around with him and he’s not maturing fast enough. The talent is there, but it’s hard to force a guy to get better when in his head he’ll just collect the paycheck and transfer elsewhere if someone makes him work too hard.

1. I think UK fans overrate him. Not an expert on SEC DT....but I'd argue the Texas AM DT is more productive than Walker. Tennessee DT is way more productive. The Mizzou DT is more productive. So is Deonne a second team all SEC kid..?
2. Many said this before the season.....why they don't slot him at NG and Silver as the back up was stupid coaching by White/Stoops. Ox needed to beef up and get back to DT....but we're playing with him as DE still.
3. The major scheme issue that is fair to address.....we run 3-4 and our DL are coached to occupy a gap vs. strive to pentrate and hunt for TFL a bit more. We basically want to occupy blockers and hope our LB clean up teh rest. I think this is fundamental coaching flaw by Stoops in modern era defensive football. We get destroyed with pulling plays by OLine as our DLine never explode off snap and beat pulling plays from backside.

At the end Walker is a talented kid....but he takes a ton of plays off to rest. We'd be best suited to ask him to play his ass off at NG and then let him come off field to rest every two series and let Silver give him a blow at NG. To play him on weakside DT was dumb...he's a NG all the way and will be in NFL.

You said it better than me haha

How many more 4-5 stars does UK need to generate a pass rush? Silver 5 star. Walker, Oxendine, Rybka, Henry-Young all 4 stars. And yet we have no pass rush, again.
Ox has the quickest first step of all these guys but he doesn’t get the help he needs and he is a little light to get into bigger ol men.

I didn’t even bother reading the previous comments LOL

This guy is held on 60% of the snaps he plays. They get called 1% of the time. He takes on double teams.

I think the real question is what is those around him doing? If he transfers, I wouldn’t blame him at this point. If he was on Georgia or Alabamas roster with talent that can utilize his skills, he’d be 1st team AA.

He is a good player when he lines up at nose, but average at best when he is at DT or DE. Just doesn't have the agility to play out there,imo. He I'd a Jordan Davis type DL, not going to put up big stats, but eating up blockers

Our system is designed to more less eat blocks and let the LB eat.
Deone could be so much better than he is right now if we played a traditional scheme that is actually useful for getting QB pressure. It's sad how little pressure that opposing QBs face sometimes, that shouldn't really ever be the case with the talent that is upfront unless the system sucks as bad as this one does. .

Game broadcast talking head said yesterday Walker is very good but, as you said, takes off too many plays. UK staff wants him to be more dominate. Tremendous first step for a man his size. FWIW.

Needs to be developed and motivated to play 100% of the time and as others have noted…playing out of position. I would lay a majority of the blame on coaching him properly…jmo.

He is a good player when he lines up at nose, but average at best when he is at DT or DE. Just doesn't have the agility to play out there,imo. He I'd a Jordan Davis type DL, not going to put up big stats, but eating up blockers

Needs to be developed and motivated to play 100% of the time and as others have noted…playing out of position. I would lay a majority of the blame on coaching him properly…jmo.

He's out of position because he wants to be and the staff is afraid he'll transfer imo. That's the only explanation. He's absolutely a nose and it's woeful they don't put him there.

Go to nose, stop loafing, taking cheap shots, and chasing tackles instead of responsibilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT