ADVERTISEMENT

Football Insider Notes

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Going to touch on both recruiting topics and some team items...

** Wide receivers in focus this week against Georgia. The unit is banged up and must play well because Georgia's defense is still very stout and you have to imagine they are going to focus on Ray Davis and forcing an up-and-down Kentucky passing game to beat an elite secondary. It's a big ask, a tall order, and the main reason I definitely wouldn't be shocked if my game prediction turns out to be wrong. They will need guys to make plays in this game. They are less than 100% health wise right now and before the season my No. 1 concern about the team, other than the o-line (which has been better than I expected) was the lack of depth at a number of positions including receiver, the o-line, and the secondary. I think part of the issues for the sophomore receivers is the position room was wiped out in the transfer portal in the offseason. One of the things that really helps guys develop is competition in practice and the fear that you might lose some of your playing time to someone else. If DeMarcus Harris, Chris Lewis, Rashaan Lewis, etc., were still around then some of these drops would lead to opportunities for other players. But I also think it might be mental on a certain level. Really think someone like Anthony Brown-Stephens needs to be an x-factor. Izayah Cummings and Jordan Dingle are definitely players to watch for those downfield targets. Their average depth of target has been longer than the receivers in some games. And then Demie Sumo-Karngbaye as well.

When UK went to Athens a couple of years ago I think they probably had a better offense but a worse defense. That team was 200/200 per game rush/pass, it was one of Stoops' strong offensive lines, Levis played in a pretty high level in that game. They didn't have the number of playmakers on offense they have now but Wan'Dale Robinson was the best route runner in the entire country. It's a very tall order for those Kentucky receivers this weekend. That's the toughest matchup in the game for the Wildcats, and it's concerning enough to me that you 1) Have to look at those pass-catching RBs and TEs as a huge focal point, no question, and 2) The defense needs to make some big plays in the game. But I think they're capable of it.

** Speaking of wide receiver the main options are still Rico Scott, Kam Mikell, Donovan Hamilton, Rutgers commit Kevin Levy, and Yannick Smith. My understanding is UK really likes all of the players. Yannick Smith has great length. The ECU commit and Hamilton are "wait and see" guys at this point. It sure seems to me like the "wait and see" hinges on 1) Keeping the two guys they've got committed, which I suspect they will, and 2) Landing either Rico Scott or Kam Mikell. I will go on record and say I believe it's more likely than not that Kentucky lands either Scott or Mikell. I'm probably more bullish on their chances to flip Scott but we shall see. My understanding of the Scott situation is that he is close with Stone, but also Rico's mother knows Stone's father very well. He's a football guy and there's a good relationship between all parties. Yannick Smith has really good length.

** One player I would not sleep on Kentucky's chances with is 4-star ATH Boo Carter. You will remember that months ago he did not have Kentucky as part of his leader list but I said that I expected him to be a target for them. My understanding is that he is still someone of interest. Very close with Cutter Boley and even over the summer when other schools were listed out front there was some confidence that Kentucky could get an official visit. I don't have a date or even confirmation this is likely to happen but continue to hear his name mentioned from time to time. So he is a target for sure. Of course, Jalewis Solomon is also someone to watch but haven't sensed as much momentum with him as some other players.

** Old Dominion DB commit Javion Randall could be a player of interest for them but a situation that would likely come down to numbers. OL Aidan Bryant who we have mentioned before would probably jump at the chance to be at Kentucky. He's gotten some late buzz but hasn't slid into the take column yet, but he is eager. Seffner (Fla.) Armwood cornerback Rashad Godfrey is another P5-level defensive back who could be an option for Kentucky.

** Brian Robinson was a big pickup. My own personal assessment is that he is probably going to play defensive end for Kentucky. His size and strength are more impressive than his burst and speed but I think he's a really good defensive line prospect. Jerod Smith is also a very good defensive line prospect. It's not entirely out of the question that Jacob could even end up on the defensive line or at least playing with his hand in the dirt some of the time. Those three players and Devin Smith are the guys you are expecting to be substantial contributors when they get to college.

The other guys - Soles, Groves, Redd, Antwan Smith - are guys who have some traits that you want to develop. In the portal era, doubling down on positional needs is not a terrible idea. It will sort itself out.

** I have no new information on Kentucky's pursuit of offensive tackles. I'm sure they would continue to be interested in guys like Jordan Floyd and Jack Hines who are committed to GT and Wake respectively but nothing new on that and no visit plans to break news on. The 2024 offensive line class was largely going to hinge on who OSU and Michigan took, and those schools definitely cleaned up in the region. So the 2025 landscape for tackles looks a lot better. They may be finished there but wouldn't turn away another good player or two if they can find them. But remember the portal was fruitful last year and so that's really just an extension of the recruiting process and we have no clue what that landscape is going to look like.

** Another issue is this: Kaiya Sheron appears to be Kentucky's No. 2 quarterback and based on what the coaches said before the season about him it might not be close. So the question is, will Destin Wade stick around for another year or more at Kentucky? I'm not saying he won't but in this era you simply have to talk about these things, it's burying your head in the sand not to. If he doesn't, what does that mean for Keaten Wade? Just throwing something out there that could be a talking point at some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News