ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting INSIDER NOTES

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** Kendall Jackson (DL/EDGE) announces on 7/20 and his situation is as tough to project as Robinson's right now because of the number of schools involved. There has been some chatter that UF might not have the same focus on Jackson as other schools but I cannot confirm this and it seems like they are still actively recruiting him. Miami is definitely a player as well and Kentucky is right there in that territory as a "program to watch". If Florida is still all in then they should probably be considered the favorite. If they are not then I would say Kentucky and Miami are right there as the potential choices.

** The Brian Robinson watch continues and I am in pretty much the same place that I've been in. I can tell you unequivocally that there has been no silent commitment or anything of that sort but the reason for optimism has rather been about the strength of his relationship at UK, the time and energy invested by Marrow over a very long period of time, and all the visits he has taken. Can also confirm he could be a defensive end and not just a linebacker for Kentucky and the former may even be a little more likely in the long run.

The good news is he said on Instagram four days ago, "Just a few more weeks til I'm committed," and conventional thinking has been that an earlier decision is probably better for Kentucky.

There are some out there who believe he is waiting to try and get a spot with Ohio State. Not everybody believes that. In Lexington, that rumor is known but I wouldn't say that folks are convinced of it.
Here are all of the schools in play: Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Pitt, and Maryland.

One person I spoke with believes that it is still going to come down to Kentucky, Michigan, or Penn State. I mentioned recently that if Robinson does not make a decision this summer then it probably does not bode great for Kentucky since he has already taken his official visit to the school. And if it goes beyond this summer he may take an official visit to Pitt in December because he hasn't taken an official there yet.

The main point here I suppose is to say that there is still uncertainty as to where Robinson is going to end up and it's not locked up, so make of that what you will. It's why I have never put a pick in. Not saying I think he ends up somewhere else, but I genuinely do not know where he's going to end up at this point. Kentucky would still be my best guess, but if a couple of weeks pass and he isn't going to announce this summer then my opinion on that could change.

Either way, what's clear is this will be a situation to watch until he signs somewhere.

** I think they would love to add another pure tackle prospect to develop but with Courtland Ford having three years of eligibility, Ben Christman being able to play guard or tackle (still hearing that) and having several years of eligibility, the portal actually netted them more long-term support at the position(s) this offseason. The way they were able to bring in Ford, Christman, and Cox this year as tackles or possible tackles in Christman's case does change how I think about what's possible in the portal for them in the trenches. Certainly different than the previous year when it was Tyler Steen or bust and turned out to be bust.

The big thing is the Class of 2025 is going to be crucial for UK's recruitment of tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if they absolutely hammer tackle next year. Worked out really tough with Michigan and Ohio State this year.

** Wouldn't be shocked if Kentucky makes a play for former LSU tight end commitment Tayvion Galloway. That is not a sure thing, though. Can tell you there is enough of a relationship there that if they were to decide again on pursuing a second tight end he is someone they could take a long look at. Not projecting he ends up at Kentucky but folks asked about him recently and it probably is something to watch for. He's going to be visiting Purdue in the next little while so I would imagine if anything materializes with Kentucky it would be soon. I'd guess he ends up somewhere else, just something to be mindful of.

** Still expecting 2025 4-star QB Stone Saunders to make a decision in the next month and Kentucky's in good shape.

** Still feel like UK is in good shape with 3-star RB Jason Patterson who plans to announce on around the same timeframe as Saunders.

In order of how good I feel about Kentucky's chances with these upcoming announcements it would be: Saunders 1, Gilmore 2, Patterson 3 (Probably UK but not ruling UC out), Robinson 4, Jackson 5.

** Big picture, the portal is taking over in significance. I'm not saying HS recruiting doesn't matter as it clearly does. Coaches are going to love players who commit in HS and see it through in their development, but what the portal does -- if you're taking 10-12 guys a year like UK seems to be -- is it allows you to construct your team on the fly based on where your holes are, so it's a stop gap that makes HS recruiting losses matter less than ever ... as long as you recruit well in the portal.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News