ADVERTISEMENT

Football Insider Notes

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Nothing breaking here just filling in some gaps and addressing some situations on the recruiting front...

** Super Seniors will be a big topic this offseason. The guys I would say to watch the closest would be McCall, Wright, Square, Corker, Ajian, Dort -- and Jones very likely. At this moment I am most confident in a Jones return. I would imagine it is very much on the table for McCall, Wright, and Square, who have had some really good moments this year but for various reasons could return. Defense is where you are looking at the biggest potential for returning talent/experience.

Some of these guys could also consider a transfer for a Super Senior season. Have not heard a lot of talk about that but it's possible for one or two. Don't know what this year has done for Corker's stock. I went in thinking 5th round as a baseline because of his size but I am not a scout and haven't singled him out all year. I think he had the highest stock of those guys coming out of last season with White saying he just needed to have some highlight plays. Remember he is married with a kid now. I do think at least 3-5 guys from the team right now will enter the portal in the offseason. If you are wondering who, just look at the scholarship roster and find the guys who have basically been passed up by guys younger than them.

** The quarterback coach of 5-star Oklahoma QB commit Malachi Nelson is going to be in Kentucky soon and I'm pretty sure he will have a chance to meet with the offensive staff or at least Coen. Not saying this to get your hopes too high but it's an interesting development with UK looking for a '23 quarterback. I have always felt like Nelson would end up at OU if Riley is there but in the past 24 hours there has been some talk potentially linking Riley to the LSU position. There has since been an insider who has said it would take a nearly perfect NFL situation for Riley to leave.

** Eric Wolford extended an offer to 4-star Class of 2023 OL Luke Brown from Paris (Tenn.) Henry County today. Not a surprise, Wolford has been blanketing TN and did a good job of getting lots of those guys up to campus this summer. Auburn, UGA, Tennessee, Ole Miss among his other offers plus a dozen more.

** 4-star Boston College WR commit Joseph Griffin is someone who Kentucky has had interest in. Spoke with him this week and he seemed pretty solid with BC. Said he hasn't been responding to other schools. Just worth mentioning because Coen and Woodward have been turning over every stone looking for receivers.

** Someone asked me if Kentucky might go after one of Virginia Tech's offensive line/tackle commitments with Justin Fuentes fired. Did some digging and asking around. Don't think those are going to be options for UK. Seems like they were already eval'ed and they're looking for better.

** Tyree Rainey is an unranked defensive back from Donaldson (Ga.) Seminole County who had been on UK's radar. Back at the start of September he told me that Collins had been in contact with him and he was eager to visit UK. Coastal and Liberty have offered so he has some of those better G5 offers, just no P5 yet. Just a reminder that he is someone to watch for. I don't think this has moved much as he has to drop his senior film before more schools make a move. It's mostly Georgia Southern right now.

** Ole Miss defensive line commitment Jacarius Clayton is someone on Kentucky's board. We've mentioned the desire for length on the d-line and really across the board on defense for a while now and at 6'6, 275 he certainly fits the bill. In most of these cases when you are talking about players committed elsewhere it's going to be very hard to get them to go on the record if there is ongoing communication, for obvious reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News