ADVERTISEMENT

Football INSIDER NOTES: Spring practice tidbits

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
With spring practice starting back up again we've been working the phones and trying to supplement Jeff's excellent practice reports. So in addition to the on record comments, here are some notes and observations from those who I'd trust to give an accurate representation of some things...not all, but some interesting notes.

** Khamari Anderson is really standing out at tight end. All the injuries at the position are hurting the staff's ability to forecast what kind of finished product the offense might ultimately look at, but it has been great for Anderson getting a chance to impress the coaches. Apparently he just really looks the part out there. Big kid - doesn't look like a freshman. And he had a couple of really nice catches today including a diving grab with tight coverage around him.

When you talk about Bates, Dingle, and Kattus returning the obvious thing to say is, "Where's the playing time?" But I would caution that some programs have five or six tight ends who get 200+ snaps on the season. Lemaster and Dixon are coming in as freshmen who I didn't expect to play right away. Dixon's a little different, like Cummings, as a utility guy anyways. Then of course Cummings is a unique player who can be used differently. My gut instinct tells me Kattus is going to play a lot because of the blocking and physicality he provides, but the coaching staff has proven they will put younger tight ends ahead of older tight ends so Anderson should be considered a viable play-early guy.

** Keeshawn Silver continues to impress. It's not perfect but we were talking about a guy coming in from UNC who really could have gone either way. But it seems like he is locked in and really impressing. Some even believe he will be an upgrade over Rogers this year. Why? He's 6'5 and you just can't teach that length. He is apparently playing very hard day in, day out.

** Linemen frequently do 1 on 1s but there were also some 1 on 2s today with defensive tackles taking on guard/center combos so the guys got a lot of good work.

** Marques Cox has folks excited so far. Of course I always tap the brakes whenever there are questions -- coming back from an injury, step up in SEC play. But from what I've heard in terms of his body, the way he's moving and going through work, Cox seems to be exactly what they hoped he would be. So far, at least. It seems like he has the right mentality and someone told me recently that it just "looks" different when he's out there blocking compared to some of the LT play we saw last year. More confidence.

** Jager Burton is apparently playing pretty well with the move to center. What's really big is setting him up for success by putting Horsey and Cox, two experienced guards, next to him. We probably underestimate the significance of stuff like that but "setting someone up to succeed" is absolutely huge. Last year there were problems all over the line so that made everything far worse. Struggles surrounded by struggles. But if you believe those guys will really solidify the guard positions then it makes for a much better situation for Burton than Cox had to deal with last year.

** Chance Poore has apparently kicked well in the first part of spring practice. He has a lot on his plate and is preparing as though he will be able to contribute as placekicker, punter, and kickoffs. No clue how all of that ultimately plays out but have heard some good reviews. Jackson Smith coming in last year was adjusting to kicking without the blocks you have in high school. I don't have any up to date information on how the kicking situation will work itself out, just a couple of notes I've come across.

** Deone Walker is still looking really good. Apparently he's just as dominant as he has been. Like Calvin Taylor and some others just a really hard guy to block because of his unique build and the way he moves at that size. He does seem like he has lost a few pounds but also seems right on track for a big season.

** Oxendine is going to be largely the same player he was last year in terms of his size/body so barring a big change between now and the season which I wouldn't anticipate we're talking about a guy who needs to play quick and violent to maximize his ability.

** Tyreese Fearbry continues to play fast and aggressive. The area he has to improve on is strength and physicality. He had trouble rushing against Flax today and the hope has to be that over time he will grow more into his body and continue to become more physical. Not writing him off at all and in fact the athleticism flashes going into a RS-Frosh year are a good sign. The best thing I've heard about Fearbry is he seems extremely motivated. He takes it seriously and has the right mentality.

** Max Hairston is getting a lot of time with the 1s. Now that could be a statement to JQ Hardaway that you don't just come in and have a starting spot given to you. But Hairston may be turning a corner. It wouldn't surprise me at all. He hasn't been around long and is really, really fast. Before last year Stoops said he was close to earning the staff's trust as a very solid fourth cornerback. Right now it seems like he's either the second or third cornerback so expect him to play a lot.

Cats had some big names back for practice today including Wan'Dale Robinson, Josh Paschal, Lynn Bowden and others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News