ADVERTISEMENT

Football INSIDER NOTES: Some early spring standouts

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
This is going to be short and sweet without much in the way of detail because I'm sort of taking the temperature big picture based on what we've been hearing. Just some early spring standouts, or guys who I've heard mentioned multiple times in different contexts as showing some things...

** Devin Leary has not disappointed. He's apparently looking really good and have heard it's been a really smooth transition in terms of getting along with the guys and building camaraderie. I said a ton of great things about Levis in the last year and you know I thought he was a high level draft prospect when the idea was somewhat ridiculed....Only saying that to preface this, which isn't a criticism so much as a thought. Levis' positives are off the charts, but he's very intense and locked in. Maybe not a lone wolf but I don't think the guard comes down quite as easily as with Leary, and I think in Leary's case, his being maybe more approachable or just hanging out with the guys could be a quiet benefit.

** RBs Ray Davis and JuTahn McClain apparently look good so far. They're getting a lot of reps with Ramon Jefferson out until further notice. Still looks like a by-committee situation to me so I'm not at all attempting to lay out an early RB depth chart. Could see that going many different directions and in fact finding the 'hot hand' could be a season-long project or even based on the matchup and game plan because they have some guys who bring very different skillsets and running styles to the table.

** Have heard a number of Wan'Dale Robinson comparisons for Anthony Brown. I know personally I've felt they were somewhat different players bound for the same spot in the offense, but I keep hearing that comparison. That doesn't mean you're getting junior "contract year" Wan'Dale, but this is someone who should be playing and making an impact this year. Of course, Barion and Dane have had their moments and look poised for stardom not only in how they're playing but in how they're carrying themselves re: confidence and stepping into more leadership roles.

** Watch out for WR Dekel Crowdus this year. I think Coen seemed to like him a lot his first time around but he just hasn't had his moment yet. Something tells me he could be a darkhorse to make significant contributions. Of course there are some receivers who are going to gobble up a lot of the targets and snaps but just remember that he's got talent and shouldn't be forgotten at all. Can be an impact player.

** Offensive linemen who have stood out so far include Eli and Marques Cox, have heard some nice things about Tanner Bowles as a guy who can help them again, and Jager Burton has apparently taken a step forward. He started last year because of having to move Horsey to tackle, but I think this is the year when Jager could take a real step forward and help shore up at least one of the spots that gave them trouble last year. Coen and Yenser are giving him some chances at center because of the quickness. It's possible the line could be: LT Cox, LG Horsey, C Burton, RG Cox, RT ??? and I would imagine the portal is a very distinct possibility for right tackle, at least someone capable of competing. Would imagine that Group of Five or FCS is most likely and there should be a lot of good options.

** Mark Stoops seemed excited about "that 6'5, 330 pound" defensive lineman Keeshawn Silver from UNC. When they added Silver it was interesting and I could have seen it going either way. Right now, the trend is towards optimism. Multiple accounts of him looking like a guy who is going to help them a lot and probably right away. Doesn't have to give them 40 snaps a game as he's still getting his body into max performance shape but there's a hope the change of scenery could bring a lot out of a guy who has always had size and potential but needed to get things in order to make an impact. Remember I mentioned he had a couple of goal line stands for UNC in very limited action last year, and UK/UNC are basically polar opposites (UK good, UNC bad) at defensive player development in recent years.

** Hearing it's the best Octavious Oxendine has looked in his time at Kentucky. Jeff mentioned his physique...the weight hasn't changed much on the roster but there's talk he's looked solid.

** In the secondary the names I've heard the most about are Andru Phillips, Jordan Lovett, JQ Hardaway, and Alex Afari. Yes, the way I've heard it, the context was Afari and the secondary. Take that for what it's worth, doesn't mean he won't be moved around. Jantzen Dunn is making a bigger transition than Hardaway but the athleticism is there. The more I listen, the better I feel about UK's ability to put a pair of quality starting corners out there. Not sure about the depth at corner but it's probably not worse than it was going into this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News