ADVERTISEMENT

Football Insider Notes: Deeper Dive on the Secondary

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I wanted to take a deeper look at UK's defensive backfield because that area has been in focus a bit lately. Brad White reportedly said that one issue they're working on is depth at cornerback and with three defensive backs currently out due to the charges stemming from an incident at a frat house earlier this spring, that's a hit to the depth and maybe their ability to move guys around on the back end and be flexible.

This is just what I've gathered from talking to different people with their own unique perspectives over the last several weeks.

Cedrick Dort - He's as good as anybody in coverage back there and is someone they can rely on to play really sound in that respect. He's not going to give much up and is going to be able to run with just about any receiver Kentucky has out there. He plays very clean. The big thing is going to be physicality in run support and bringing that maximum locked in focus and intensity on every play.

Carrington Valentine - From what I've heard he's had a very good camp. I'm not saying he's on the verge of stardom but that might eventually be in the cards for him. He's going to be a very well-rounded cornerback who can really do it all. He's going to tackle. He can cover. He breaks on the ball. He's focused on forcing turnovers. There are a lot of reasons to be excited here. At 6-feet Valentine is not as tall as some of UK's longer corners under Stoops but he's 200 pounds and just really physically and athletically impressive.

Adrian Huey - Heard there were some struggles during camp. He's a freshman so I'm not writing him off but it wasn't a situation where he came in and took camp by storm. I think you probably have a kid who is adjusting to everything that goes into being in the SEC from the little things to soaking up everything and putting it into practice right away. He's got a ways to go.

Yusuf Corker - The hope is he's going to be an All-SEC player and work his way into at least a mid-round draft slot. You have to love the size. Brad White has talked about how solid he is and how he just needs to take the next step and start making "game-changing plays" like a strip sack to end a game, an interception to put a win on ice, etc. See him as very much in the mold of a Josh Paschal or DeAndre Square on the back end in terms of being a lead by example, do things the right way, help everyone know what they're doing. Great to have a guy like that helping to lead the defense. I heard he was fantastic in camp. Really fantastic. Can be one of the best safeties Kentucky has ever had this year. Smart, doesn't do silly stuff, and finishes the plays that are in front of him.

Quandre Mosely - I think he's going to still be in the rotation at cornerback but there is some real rawness to him at corner right now. He hasn't played there for long at Kentucky and just in terms of being lined up in the right position and knowing his role in the defense you might be looking at the potential for some issues compared to Dort and Valentine at corner especially. He will be active and around the ball when he's in the game and will be helpful in run support but in terms of the little things that could be a concern.

Ty Ajian - Thought we started to see Ajian come into his own last season with some nice plays and more consistency at times. He's going to be a really big help in run support and has a knack for being around the ball at strong safety. He's going to play a lot. Ajian could be a candidate to come back for another year as a super senior as well to provide a bridge year.

Jalen Geiger - Mentioned that he had something of a breakout camp. I'm not predicting he goes from mostly outside the rotation to All-SEC, but this is going to be a bridge year when he probably becomes a contributor and is set up to be a real factor in the program in the years ahead. Originally at corner, he moved to safety and is now one of the program's better coverage guys at that position. He is not afraid to hit. Those I've spoken with have noticed his confidence and communication has ticked up and the communication piece is what he really needed to improve. He will knock you around at the line of scrimmage. In UK's nickel and dime packages it won't be a surprise to see him get some real time.

Davonte Robinson - Also mentioned the other day that D-Rob has reportedly been getting some of his burst back and is likely to be on the field a lot when UK uses its medium defensive package so they can get someone bigger in there. We will see if he's back in a position to become a playmaker or if he's going to mostly just be sound. There are some things he can clean up to expand his role in the defense but in terms of being a tackler and a physical factor closer to the line of scrimmage I think you'll see him out there.

Taj Dodson - Got on the field some as a freshman in '19 a couple of seasons ago and is still in the mix moving forward. I would say at this point he is more serviceable and solid than a playmaker. Does not make a lot of mistakes but also not breaking on a ton of balls and creating big plays. That could come.

Moses Douglass - We get a lot of questions about him and understandably so given his legacy status and four-star ranking as a prospect. He's been in action throughout camp but probably not going to be in a position to get on the field much this year because of the returning experience at safety. I'd say the next offseason will be significant for him.

Jordan Lovett - There's a lot to like in terms of Lovett's talent and ability which is one reason a lot of people were very high on him in terms of a ceiling coming out of North Hardin. He is frankly pretty raw right now but not in a way that is concerning, I'd say. There's a ton of potential but it's going to be a learning curve. But it could very well prove to be a really worthwhile process because I like the talent. Fast, active potential playmaker who has to reel it in and figure out what he's doing.

Rickey Hyatt Jr - Like Lovett, he's an intriguing newer guy. Maybe a tiny bit farther along in terms of knowing what he's doing out there and from what I've heard some nice moments in terms of breaking up balls and showing flashes. You can't teach 6'2, 203 at safety. That's hybrid potential size. Lovett and Hyatt are probably just what you would expect. Talented, physically and athletically, but swimming and needing experience. Like their potential though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News