ADVERTISEMENT

In your opinion what is the best decade of country Music?

Best Era of Country Music

• Pre 1940's (The Carters, Roy Acuff, Eddy Arnold, Jimmie Rodgers)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 1950's (Hank Williams, George Jones, Patsy Cline, Everly Brothers)

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • 1960's (Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Ray Charles)

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • 1970's (Tanya Tucker, Conway Twitty, Kenny Rogers)

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • 1980's (George Straight, Alabama, Randy Travis, Hank Jr, The Judds)

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • 1990's (Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Travis Tritt, Shania Twain)

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • 2000's (Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010's (Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, Eric Church, Jason Aldean)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020 (Morgan Wallen, Kane Brown, Walker Hayes, Cole Swindell)

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
I am guessing for most of us it will be the era you grew up listening to but which was best in your opinion? Obviously some of the artist bled over into multiple decades but I based the names off of the decade they got their start or made it big and it's just a short sample not all big artist. For me, I like some songs and artist from each one but the best would be the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:
Reactions: trueblujr2
I consider Hank Williams to be America's greatest songwriter/wordsmith ever. Gotta go w/ the 50's, when he was in his heyday. With the honorable mention nod to my era: the 80's.

I'll go '70's. Folsom was released in late '60's IIRC and bled into '70's. My favorite country song ever, Waylon Jennings "Are your sure Hank did it this way" came out in late '70's....so I'll go '68-'78

Are You Sure Hank Did It This Way https://g.co/kgs/6imQZ6

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
1990's
1970's
1980's
Beyond the early 2000's, only a handful of songs/artists that I like since then. Guess most of that has to do with age and the era you came up listening to country music in.

1995 and earlier, but I can dig some of this newer stuff.

Highway men era was awesome.

My faves off the top of my head
Willie
Waylon
Hank Williams 2
Merle
George Jones
Dolly and Kenny
Alabama
Cash

Next tier
Alan Jackson
Vince Gill
Randy Travis
George strait
Garth

Honorable mention
Dixie chicks
Shania

2nd team honorable mention
Faith Hill

I don’t understand the Kenny Chesney following.

Hank Williams's career

2nd place: mid 50s to late 60s. Ray Charles and his New Sounds in Country and Western, Floyd Cramer, Hank Garland, Chet Atkins, Eddie Arnold, Patsy Cline, early Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis's 2nd career, and the first great songs from Willie Nelson

I looked up Eddy Arnold because I only knew him from the late 50s and 60s. In the 40s, according to Wiki, he released a string of 57 records that all hit at least the Top 10 on the Country charts.

After around 30 of those, you might have thought that the Country Music audience would have had enough of Arnold. But you'd have been wrong. 57. In a row.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
Completely depends if we are judging the best of each decade or the decade overall... because for as much love as 80's country gets (and I love it too) there is some absolute drivel mixed in there that got real popular.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
Strait, Alabama, Travis, Reba...dominated the 80's. Vince, Jackson, Black and Garth the 90's. Pretty good stretch there.

I am guessing for most of us it will be the era you grew up listening to but which was best in your opinion? Obviously some of the artist bled over into multiple decades but I based the names off of the decade they got their start or made it big and it's just a short sample not all big artist. For me, I like some songs and artist from each one but the best would be the 80's and 90's.
Yep. But that’s my era too, the 80’s, 90’s list is pretty big. Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Dwight Yokum, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, John Michael Montgomery, Faith Hill, Jo Dee Messina, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, then some of my faves, Doug Stone, Clay Walker, Sammy Kershaw, Hal Ketchum, among many others.

I'm not a big country music fan at all. But I vote 70s. Jerry Reed, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr, and tGOAT Waylon Jennings.

Everyone else pales starkly in comparison to that lineup.

Country music needs stories. I quit listening when it was just a bunch of jingle phrases strung together.
A lot of people might object to the language David Allen Coe used, but man, one thing is for sure: he could tell a story and did it well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT