ADVERTISEMENT

In case it's Kerr Kriisa.....

Pretty sure he came here to start. What’s your hang up? The shooting? Had plenty great teams with PG that weren’t necessarily great shooters. Wall, Rondo, Teague, Cliff Hawkins, W Turner..none of those dudes were shooters.
Butler would be fine as the starting pg if we had better talent around him. But we are in desperate need of scorers, high level scorers, and currently we have zero.

Take the Laker team that won the title in the bubble a few years ago. Rondo was the pg and it worked great BUT if the Lakers didn’t have James and Davis it would have been very bad. Thats what we are looking at right now.

Reactions: anonymous_2011
Every player he has brought in are good players. Nobody has any idea how good they will be in popes system
They are but every team needs a lead player or clear number one. Kentucky doesn’t have that. Robinson can be that, Richmond can be that, smith can be that.

The last 3 players need to be older guys who play for the name on the front, not the name on the back. If you want dudes go cheer for Arkansas and have fun losing in the first round.
And if you have a roster with no clear cut first option you are Missouri or vandy. You need a dude

Missouri didn’t have a team full of defensive players of the year types and solid upperclassman who averaged 11-13 points a game.
Kentucky has 2 defensive players of the year not a team full of them. This roster is good but you still need a clear cut 1st option type of guy

He had one good year at Arizona . Was horrible last year . This looks like someone they would grab because they don’t expect to get any of the good guards available
Yeah, so were DJ and Justin. He'll be great here.

Butler would be fine as the starting pg if we had better talent around him. But we are in desperate need of scorers, high level scorers, and currently we have zero.

Take the Laker team that won the title in the bubble a few years ago. Rondo was the pg and it worked great BUT if the Lakers didn’t have James and Davis it would have been very bad. Thats what we are looking at right now.

So UK needs the college version of a LeBron James and Anthony Davis counterparts? Pretty sure that’s not in the portal. You don’t need 120 pts as a team to win a game in college.

Pope had to build the entire roster from scratch minus Travis Perry in a short amount of time. Honestly it’s way better than I thought it would be for year one. Can’t force guys to come…have to take what we can get this first year.

still think Jaxson Robinson ends up here.

Some skepticism is ok. Just because you ''ride with'' a coach doesn't mean you have to support every move he does. He needs actual stars, not these role player guys. To fill out the roster.
He is 3 weeks into the job starting with zero players on the roster. Its not about supporting every move he makes, its about being realistic about where we are. So far I'd say he's exceeded expectations.

So UK needs the college version of a LeBron James and Anthony Davis counterparts? Pretty sure that’s not in the portal. You don’t need 120 pts as a team to win a game in college.

Pope had to build the entire roster from scratch minus Travis Perry in a short amount of time. Honestly it’s way better than I thought it would be for year one. Can’t force guys to come…have to take what we can get this first year.

still think Jaxson Robinson ends up here.
What I mean is we still need legitimate 1st and 2nd options. Robinson might be able to fill the #2 role but if he’s our best player then we are in for a rough year.

• Haha
Reactions: University-6
What I mean is we still need legitimate 1st and 2nd options. Robinson might be able to fill the #2 role but if he’s our best player then we are in for a rough year.

His teams are pretty balanced scoring wise. Four players standing around and depending on one guy having to just go get a bucket I’m guessing wont be as common as it was during the Cal era.

I’d rather have contributions as a whole scoring wise. An off night or an injury ends your season as we’ve seen in the past.

Who’s out there that would fill that #1 spot in your eyes?

Reactions: delk4three
It really doesn't matter. All players now are at a school for one year. You can't expect more than that, sadly.
Will be nice to add via a normal incoming freshman recruiting cycle and not have to build a roster from zero though. The coaches can then focus on the transfer portal to round out the roster (assuming they can get the underclassmen to stay). The "hot stove" version of college athletics is the transfer portal and honestly is so much fun to watch unfold and to discuss. Thus, we get to all get real active again this time next year.

Smith and Small are better than Butler.
Agree, and I would love to have either/both to be running point for UK. However, at some point you build yourself out of spots and attractiveness. Early bird gets the worm in some cases. Have to sometimes take "good enough" and move on. Plus, NIL dollars can only go so far.

Blessed we have a program that attracts top talent and an NIL budget that ices the cake (might be the other way around these days though). 99% of all men's college basketball teams would love to have Butler playing lock down defense, providing winning experience in the locker room/on the court, and controlling tempo. I know it is tough for us as we expect only Top Gun pilots to be flying our jets.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the results of the 3 week rebuild.

Oh, and at least right now Butler is > DJ (who I still hope turns into a great player for someone).

This would be a terrible addition….he was recruited over by Arizona for a reason. Thinks he is wayyyyyy better then he is and worse tries to take all the pressure shots even when there are other better players.
Not to debate what you said, but the best player isn't always who you want to take your clutch shot.

This would be a terrible addition….he was recruited over by Arizona for a reason. Thinks he is wayyyyyy better then he is and worse tries to take all the pressure shots even when there are other better players.
I just saw that he shoots like 79% on catch-and-shoot attempts (99th percentile). I'm assuming thats a large reason for the grab. Fits well in Pope's offense.

I'm sorry, but why aren't those numbers good enough for people here, again?

You take that experience/production over a HS kid ranked in the 15-25 range all day.
Because some of our fans are young, immediate gratification , zero patience , IDIOTS.The participation trophy generation know nothing about BUILDING a team or what it takes to win for that matter

I would agree with most of that. Torres has stated it multiple times. Said SDSU style and such is what hurts some players in that system. But that all players in that system bought into the system and Butler will be a key team player at UK and will be the starter at PG.
Just look at Keshawn Johnson at Arizona this year. His stats at San Diego St. last year we're not overwhelming. They play a low possession offense at San Diego St., same as Virginia. I believe Butler averages about 12-13 a game with about 4-5 assists a game and shoots around 40% from 3. A great not good but great defender. Dude is a beast who is definitely underrated by a lot of posters on here. The guy is a great leader too. I have watched a ton of Mountain west games the last 2 years on CBS network, games came on like 11-12:00.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Krisa is in the 9th position on the team. He is an experienced guard who can play both the 1 and 2 positions. He averaged double digits, 4.1 assists, over 40% from 3pt range and 83% from ft line in the big 12. Pope, Coach F and Brooks coached against him several times last year and obviously made a group evaluation as to how he will fit in their system and the skill set he brings to the team. His maturity and experience is exactly what this team will need particularly during the first half of the season while our two freshmen guards, Perry and Chandler are getting acclimated to the college game. Both of these freshmen will be major contributers during the second half of the season. I have seen Perry play in person several times and have watched both he and Chandler on YouTube videos. Perry in my opinion is the closest thing to a Reed Sheppard clone available anywhere and Chandler is going to surprise a lot of people.
I like the Krisa addition to the team!

I’m predicting right now that Oweh is our dude.
He is a tireless worker and if he makes a jump like he did from Freshman to Sophmore, he’s going to be a great one

382 Field goal attempts and 172 free throw attempts. The makings of a guy that can get you some clutch free throw attempts when needed. Not necessarily the same thing as getting a big bucket, but a guy who knows how to make a player foul him when his team needs it. Just need him to make a jump in his %.

UConn had no high level scorers. Even when the guys were at mid majors they weren't

Coach F and Brooks coached against him several times last year and obviously made a group evaluation as to how he will fit in their system and the skill set he brings to the team.
I think they just got him so they wouldn't have to listen to him yap anymore as an opponent 😄

I feel like we’ll see a lot of Kriisa and Butler together with Brea on the wing and Carr and Williams as the bigs. This gives you an elite on ball defender in Butler and Elite rim protector in Williams paired with 3 guys who can shoot the lights out. It also doesn’t put all the ball handling duties on one guy. Oweh feels like he is perfectly suited as a Heshimu Evans type energizer off the bench. Garrison backs up the bigs and the two freshman back up the 2 and 3 spots. I like the make up of this bunch. I could see rebounding being an issue.

I'm sure Pope and all the coaches out there, especially given our coaching staff was running those same circles last year knows all the positives and negatives and are happy to have him.
Good post.
Maybe we could take all the nil money and invest in ai.
That way we could put a flawless team on the floor.😉

I feel like we’ll see a lot of Kriisa and Butler together with Brea on the wing and Carr and Williams as the bigs. This gives you an elite on ball defender in Butler and Elite rim protector in Williams paired with 3 guys who can shoot the lights out. It also doesn’t put all the ball handling duties on one guy. Oweh feels like he is perfectly suited as a Heshimu Evans type energizer off the bench. Garrison backs up the bigs and the two freshman back up the 2 and 3 spots. I like the make up of this bunch. I could see rebounding being an issue.
I could see everyone on the team being good at rebounding. Effort players get rebounds

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT