ADVERTISEMENT

If your driving!!!!

If your driving to Florida for the Citrus Bowl, be sure and don't exceed the speed limit over 5 MPH, between Macon and Valdosta, Georgia. That area will be covered up with "Barney Fife's." They will set on the overpasses with the radar gun, and there will be a couple of chase cars to pull you over, within a half mile of the overpass. I was caught doing 76, and was wrote up. It cost me $285.
I drive down there a couple of times every year to my home in Florida, and I usually count 12 to 15 Barney's in that stretch. Their especially bad the last 4 or 5 days each month. Their more of them around Tifton, Georgia, then any other stretch.
Good Luck and stay safe. Just watch the overpasses, and you will see them.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I live in Georgia, and I would ask everyone to respect our state’s safety laws period. Not just between Macon and Valdosta. In fact, I don’t know a riskier driving environment in the entire southeast than the Atlanta area. If you get frisky on the roads, something is going to ruin your trip.

If your driving to Florida for the Citrus Bowl, be sure and don't exceed the speed limit over 5 MPH, between Macon and Valdosta, Georgia. That area will be covered up with "Barney Fife's." They will set on the overpasses with the radar gun, and there will be a couple of chase cars to pull you over, within a half mile of the overpass. I was caught doing 76, and was wrote up. It cost me $285.
I drive down there a couple of times every year to my home in Florida, and I usually count 12 to 15 Barney's in that stretch. Their especially bad the last 4 or 5 days each month. Their more of them around Tifton, Georgia, then any other stretch.
Good Luck and stay safe. Just watch the overpasses, and you will see them.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I'm not doubting you but I'm a bit confused. Only GSP can give a ticket for less than 11 mph over the posted limit. The limiting law is GA 40-14-8. The only exception is school zones. If a local officer is going the speed limit, I'll pass them every time, but I keep it around 6-7 over the limit. I've never had a single issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I live in Georgia, and I would ask everyone to respect our state’s safety laws period. Not just between Macon and Valdosta. In fact, I don’t know a riskier driving environment in the entire southeast than the Atlanta area. If you get frisky on the roads, something is going to ruin your trip.
I live here too. I drive about 7 over all the time. That isn't likely to change.

I'm not doubting you but I'm a bit confused. Only GSP can give a ticket for less than 11 mph over the posted limit. The limiting law is GA 40-14-8. The only exception is school zones. If an officer is going the speed limit, I'll pass them every time, but I keep it around 6-7 over the limit. I've never had a single issue.
I may be wrong but that law is only in effect for using speed detection equipment. If they use pacing as a form you can still be ticketed.

I may be wrong but that law is only in effect for using speed detection equipment. If they use pacing as a form you can still be ticketed.
You are correct, lol, guess I may want to not pass cops too much. However, I've never heard of someone getting a "visually estimated" speeding ticket. They could pace you easier I guess.

My mom lives in Georgia and she mentioned to me that they had passed a law this year that you couldn't talk on your phone while driving. Here's an article explaining that in detail.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...w-bans-holding-phone-while-driving/752752002/
Been the law in California since 2009. I found that out first hand when I was stopped in Los Angeles International Airport while trying to pick up a friend. I pleaded ignorance and got off with a warning.

I'm not doubting you but I'm a bit confused. Only GSP can give a ticket for less than 11 mph over the posted limit. The limiting law is GA 40-14-8. The only exception is school zones. If a local officer is going the speed limit, I'll pass them every time, but I keep it around 6-7 over the limit. I've never had a single issue.

I got off the Freeway to get gas, and he followed me and pulled his light on. I told him I wasn't speeding, and he said you were clocked at 76 MPH. I said, "Your going to give me a ticket for that." He replied, "It's over the speed limit."
I wrote a letter to the address, which was on the ticket, explaining everything. They fined me $285. I just sent them the money. I wasn't going down there and hire an attorney. We were coming from my home in Florida.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I set my cruise at 78 in a 70 on the interstate and let it go, even if I see a cop on the road with radar. Never been pulled over.

Sounds like a bunch of local yokels taking advantage of the heavy travel season.

Anyhow, I figure to be doing around 500 MPH through that section Friday. :)
I don't think there's anything official but you typically have to really deserve a ticket to get one. Again there are exceptions and a younger cop will be more reactionary than someone that's been on the job a while. The strange thing is that I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my life. I've had tickets for other reasons but never speeding. And I've driven by state police at 10 mph over several times.

I don't think there's anything official but you typically have to really deserve a ticket to get one. Again there are exceptions and a younger cop will be more reactionary than someone that's been on the job a while. The strange thing is that I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my life. I've had tickets for other reasons but never speeding. And I've driven by state police at 10 mph over several times.

That is the only the second ticket I have ever got. I was heading to Indianapolis and about 5 miles after crossing the river, I set my speed at 65 MPH. In another 2 miles, a Motorcycle cop, flipped his light on and I pulled over. Told him I had my speed set at 65 MPH. He said it was 55 MPH for, I believe 8 miles after crossing the river. Said Kentucky's 55 MPH was for 11 miles. I told the clerk what happened, and she threw the ticket out.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I'm going through South Carolina (seeing the grandkids) and went that way for the bowl in Jacksonville. Yankees headed south and a terrible driving experience.

With my father and sister living in Georgia for the last 18 years, we have eaten up some asphalt specifically to Waycross and Savannah. I can honestly say they enforce their speed limits in that state vs KY...my dad told me if it’s a 45, drive 45.

Only been pulled over three times in what seems like 200 trips of 500,000 miles. The first was in Atlanta the day after Christmas around 10a by tandem GSP for doing 77 in the usual 55 construction zone. The second, my wife was pulled over for 52 in a 45 in Waycross. The third I mentioned earlier on I75 by laser. Fortunately, my FOP emblems saved me on the first two...the last one I was in a rental!

Be safe out there Cat fans!

When I travel down that way I drive at night and rarely see a cop on the road most of the way. I usually only do 5 over, but if there is a group of cars that are speeding at about 10 over, I might jump in the middle of them for a bit. I also recommend downloading the Waze app. Great for pointing out police or traffic issues.

Interesting thread. Loundes County, Georgia (Valdosta) once had a reputation as one of the worst speed traps in the South. It was bad in some other Georgia counties and so bad the Georgia governor put a huge billboard up as you entered Ludowici. The sheriffs of these counties were about as crooked as you can get.
enhance

Ludowici is nowhere close to Lowndes County and Valdosta. It is about 125 miles northeast of Valdosta. Ludowici would get yankees on their way to Florida before the days of Interstate highways. One of their main tricks was to change the light to red when a car with yankee license plates approached the intersection. Cop would sit there with the controls to the light.

They sure did, wrote me up for 76 MPH, and fined me $285. I didn't go back to Tifton, but I wrote a letter to them and told them I thought I was only doing 74, which is still over the speed limit by 4. They still fined me. I drive 70 in that stretch now, and try and stay in the right lane, except when passing.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Just totally ridiculous.

Going 70 in a 70 will get you run over these days.

I've been pulled over a few times in Georgia but they always let me go. What I have learned is most police officers want to see two things - respect and remorse. Show them that and you stand a good chance of leaving with just a warning. Argue and make excuses and they'll likely nail ya.

You gain so relatively little by speeding it really isn’t worth it.
If you enjoy time behind the wheel, go for it. Be sure to stay off the phone while you're at it. Freeway speed limits are outdated slow for the quality of cars today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT