ADVERTISEMENT

If you can't defend, you better be able to rebound the opponents misses!!!!!

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
This combination is what makes it difficult to win games like today's. It will be the reason we lose in the NCAA Tournament if it doesn't get fixed SOON.

Our rotation on defense is even WORSE than it usually is with these young Cal teams. Then add to that we NEVER block out and watch the ball come off the rim instead of going after it.

You could blame it on Oscar being so good at it last year, but Reeves is the only player back from that team that played.

Can it be fixed????

This combination is what makes it difficult to win games like today's. It will be the reason we lose in the NCAA Tournament if it doesn't get fixed SOON.

Our rotation on defense is even WORSE than it usually is with these young Cal teams. Then add to that we NEVER block out and watch the ball come off the rim instead of going after it.

You could blame it on Oscar being so good at it last year, but Reeves is the only player back from that team that played.

Can it be fixed????
Free throws and rebounding win ball games. We did neither well today.

I think it can be fixed with one more exclamation point
Exclamation Point Be Curious GIF by Cambridge Science Festival

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
What about stupidity. Reeves fouling with 39 seconds to go, tie game? Really? That is really stupid.

DJ giving them the ball with 28 seconds to go in reg, tie game. That is really stupid.
Yes, plus all of the poor passes and WIDE OPEN misses from Mitchell today. But, if we could just cut out the opponents offensive rebounds, the games would not be close at the end.

I realize we aren't getting much better defensively, but we MUST rebound the opponents misses to have ANY chance of getting to a Final 4.

Reactions: grevey35
We miss Adou but Dillingham & Wagner played major minutes and got basically no rebounds

Reactions: catben
The biggest contributor to the loss was the Pik N Roll defense. I have never seen such a lack of fundamentals at this level than what I saw today that allowed A&M guards have a straight-line runway to the rim!! When the pick comes at the top of the key, Onyenso and Mitchell were continually on the wrong side of the pick allowing the A&M guards to turn the corner and go downhill to the rim. There were no UK defenders to push out the guards after the initial pick. Once again, why don't these players know how to defend a play that they see in every game and what are you doing to prepare for these games in practice?

The biggest contributor to the loss was the Pik N Roll defense. I have never seen such a lack of fundamentals at this level than what I saw today that allowed A&M guards have a straight-line runway to the rim!! When the pick comes at the top of the key, Onyenso and Mitchell were continually on the wrong side of the pick allowing the A&M guards to turn the corner and go downhill to the rim. There were no UK defenders to push out the guards after the initial pick. Once again, why don't these players know how to defend a play that they see in every game and what are you doing to prepare for these games in practice?
Oh, I agree.

But you should still be able to rebound because they missed a bunch of shots. The rotations are TERRIBLE. When Ugo went for a block, the other players NEVER got a body on an A&M player.

Reeves is the WORST one on the team for NOT blocking out. Edwards isn't much better but does go after the ball. Reed will, but usually is not on the ball.

Can it be fixed????
Yes sir. Poor defense and bad rebounding are issues.

Yes sir. Poor defense and bad rebounding are issues.
What blows my mind is that we have kids that can move great on the offensive end, yet on defense they CONSTANTLY get beat off the dribble. Then they compound the problem by not rotating properly AND not getting a body on a man to get the rebound.

These areas don't have to get to a great level, just have to get better, especially the rebounding and making it harder to get into the paint.

Oh, I agree.

But you should still be able to rebound because they missed a bunch of shots. The rotations are TERRIBLE. When Ugo went for a block, the other players NEVER got a body on an A&M player.

Reeves is the WORST one on the team for NOT blocking out. Edwards isn't much better but does go after the ball. Reed will, but usually is not on the ball.

No doubt the rotations are terrible and there is a "laziness" gene in the UK defense that continually gets exposed. The A&M gameplan on offense was to get the guards going downhill to the rim and have their bigs fight for position on rebounds and putbacks. Thierro is a big loss from a tough and physical defender that UK badly needs. UK's defense is really soft right now and Cal doesn't believe in switching up to another defense for maybe a possession or two.

Of the 14 regular season games Kentucky played, 9 of those teams scored above their PPG average. Even if you take away 5 of those games (since the other team scored within 1 point of their average), still 7/9 of those teams scored above their PPG average.

Of the 14 regular season games Kentucky played, 9 of those teams scored above their PPG average. Even if you take away 5 of those games (since the other team scored within 1 point of their average), still 7/9 of those teams scored above their PPG average.
This is why you just can't give up too many offensive rebounds. the other team is going to get shots up against our poor defense, but we must limit their ability to get 2nd, 3rd and even sometimes 4th attempts.

I'm not following your math. If you take away 5 from 9 you would have 4/9. If you are saying we gave up more in 3 of the games and less in two of the five you omit you were being rather misleading in presenting this as a concession of some sort.

Last edited:
THIS! THIS! THIS! They essentially ran the same play over and over again! No defensive switch from Cal. Not one.

It has been the same for years. One of the most basic plays and the uk players are lost. Maybe they can watch other teams and see how other teams make the opponent back up. The staff has no clue.

What blows my mind is that we have kids that can move great on the offensive end, yet on defense they CONSTANTLY get beat off the dribble. Then they compound the problem by not rotating properly AND not getting a body on a man to get the rebound.

These areas don't have to get to a great level, just have to get better, especially the rebounding and making it harder to get into the paint.
Sheppard gave up the rebound and one at the end by not blocking out. Ugo looked list some.

Too many deep drives and finishes. Aggie guards had 60 or more points combined.

Can it be fixed????
No and Yes. Chances are our guys ar not going to get much better at guarding the ball in man defense, or get a lot more physical controlling boards. So you can go with…. Let’s cross out fingers, yell fight!!! and HOPE they magically do get better…..or…….

You can try to help them and mix in some other defensive approaches that may fit their makeup and talents better like some matchup zone and half court trapping so that they aren’t isolated on the ball but can still match up and trap out of it on the perimeter and create some tempo and turnovers and rip and run. Instead of sitting back and letting the other guys attack our weakness all game.

A lot of it is age and I’m not talking about the youth/inexperience angle. Even though our guys have bulked up some they’re still nowhere near as physically strong as the upperclassmen they’re guarding. They try to make up for it with speed but the lack of physicality really shows up in the P&R

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT