ADVERTISEMENT

If Stoops can change his philosophy, why can't Cal?

Cal said the right things after last year (I'm going to play four out, etc.) and even fired the dead weight on his bench (or relocated them, whatever).

The fact is, he doesn't have a great X's and O'x guy to lean on anymore (Robic or Payne) and tightens up late in games. He can say those things all he wants, but when it comes to crunch time, you know exactly what we are going to do.

Stoops didn’t change his philosophy, he just got better players. Stoops will always be a ball control over pass happy style of coach.
Go ahead and get rid of Calipari after going 26-8, you will have them beating down the door. Everyone wants the Calipari of the first five years, two final fours with two trips to the title game, that’s impossible to sustain. Now does Calipari need to look in the mirror and rethink some things, yes, but there is no way I would fire him.
As far as fans saying Kentucky will become irrelevant if they keep Calipari, that’s crazy talk. If Uk can hire Gillespie and go through that mess then they will always be the talk of college basketball. Calipari just needs to recruit the way he did when he got to UK.

Stoops didn’t change his philosophy, he just got better players. Stoops will always be a ball control over pass happy style of coach.
Go ahead and get rid of Calipari after going 26-8, you will have them beating down the door. Everyone wants the Calipari of the first five years, two final fours with two trips to the title game, that’s impossible to sustain. Now does Calipari need to look in the mirror and rethink some things, yes, but there is no way I would fire him.
As far as fans saying Kentucky will become irrelevant if they keep Calipari, that’s crazy talk. If Uk can hire Gillespie and go through that mess then they will always be the talk of college basketball. Calipari just needs to recruit the way he did when he got to UK.

Stoops absolutely changed his philosophy. There are similiarities between what we ran last year and the past seasons (run first to open the passing game, etc.) but the scheme of how that works was drastically different from our OC's in the past.

We aren't getting rid of Cal after 26-8, by the way. We'd be getting rid of him after a first round exit in the tournament to St. Peters, a 9-16 season the year before, treating the media/fans like dolts, refusing to actually coach (OOB plays, watching tape on opposition, changing in game strategy, etc.) and riding the coattails of what he did from 2011 to 2015.

He's an Aaron Harrison/Brandon Knight away from two final fours in 12 years with arguably the greatest amount of college talent ever amassed in such a span (rivaling the UCLA heyday).

Cal said the right things after last year (I'm going to play four out, etc.) and even fired the dead weight on his bench (or relocated them, whatever).

The fact is, he doesn't have a great X's and O'x guy to lean on anymore (Robic or Payne) and tightens up late in games. He can say those things all he wants, but when it comes to crunch time, you know exactly what we are going to do.
When he was claiming to play four out one in offense, you could look at the roster and tell he couldn’t play that way this year. They had to many big guys on the roster and not enough guards in my opinion. That’s what he needs to focus on this year.

Cal has a problem, he doesn't listen because he does all the talking. How many times this year did you see him call an assistant down for coaching a player. He wants and demands total control, he will never change and the downward spiral will continue.
The things we type here make each of us feel a bit better, he says he never reads any of it. So in the real world he thinks he is loved by all when really half of us would buy him a ticket out of here.

Reactions: KFuqua
When he was claiming to play four out one in offense, you could look at the roster and tell he couldn’t play that way this year. They had to many big guys on the roster and not enough guards in my opinion. That’s what he needs to focus on this year.

That's true but also the issue with Cal's team building philosophy. We've been a good guard short for a decade because his "dudes" are guards that can't shoot.

Either way, he could have easily played Allen at the 4 more for a true stretch 4 along with Oscar. We were at our best when Oscar was screening and running to the basket for put backs, rebounds and dishes. Instead, we added another big to clog the lane and bogged down our offense.

Reactions: jace2012
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT