ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitino Had Coached our Players???

93, 95, and 97 should have been titles. after the 95 game I couldn't watch the rest of the tourney. that bugged me more than the 92 game.

94....just didn't have the horses.

Ulis, KAT, Booker, and Lyles never would have seen the court because "Pitino's system is too complex for freshmen".

He'd downplay Willie's contributions all year to undermine his attempts to leave for the draft and get him to return for his senior season.

Poythress would still be hurt.

Marcus Lee and Derek Willis would both be forced out at the end of the year to make way for a 7 foot African project or two.

Originally posted by TampaJon:

IMO, this is a fair question. I believe you should you every competitive advantage to win. When you have depth, and unmatched quality depth at that, you should use that to your advantage. If not a full court press, you should at least pick them up at half court and force the tempo. Against Wisconsin, we had the advantage of depth and athleticism and didn't fully take advantage of it. This isn't meant to give Pitino credit because as a previous posted said, he would have never recruited all of this talent. But, there are plenty of good coaches who would have pressed. Heck, even Duke pressed to force the tempo for different reasons.
If you press, full or half, a team like Wisconsin aggressively, then they will back door cut you to death.

Originally posted by CatDaddy4daWin:
Nice way to divide the fanbase and make UL fans like 3rex wet themselves. Pitino is a sad joke.
Ha, nice of you to think of me, but I haven't made a single comment about whether he would've won or lost.

The "joke" is you seriously believing a post on a message board, especially one that less than 50 people have even commented on would "...divide the fanbase."

lol...drama queen much

Its a simple question the OP raised on a message board. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pitino would have pressed and played at a faster pace, truly taking advantage of the depth. That would have worn the other team out.

On the other hand, Pitino would not have fully utilized Towns and the other post players. In fact, those post players would have been playing out on the perimeter jacking threes.

Some of you perpetually labor under the delusion that Rick Pitino is stuck in 1997 - that he's the same coach that was always in the top 10, always got a 1 seed, always got to the elite 8. He's not that guy anymore - he's the guy at UofL, the one that has gone entire seasons without being ranked at all, who has gotten better than a 4 seed only twice in 14 years, who's been bounced from the tournament in the first weekend half - fully half - the time. In 1997 he was Rick Pitino. In 2015, he's Joe B Hall.

You really should reorient your thinking......

Not sure why you feel the need to denigrate Joe B in this thread.

Always loved Joe B & appreciate what he did in his time at Lexington, which included winning as many National Championships as our current coach.

Originally posted by rodserling:

Pitino is so great and all knowing as a coach never making mistakes down the stretch?

Where were you when there was no man on the ball throwing it in? That was in '92 in case you forgot.

-------

A couple of years after that there was a similar end game situation (@ Auburn?) and Pitino put a guy on the man throwing it in. The subsequent shot lipped the rim and almost went in. Comic? Tragic?

Depth is overrated in terms of the NCAA tournament, except with injuries. So many TV timeouts, and play stoppages, give players more than ample amount of time to rest. That's why even the 96 team didn't really get the chance to run away with the title. And why we could dominate in 2012 with just 7 players.

You could always be a UofL fan then Pitino can coach your players..

If it wasn't for Cal lighten a fire under Rick's as@ he would be mediocre like he was before Cal came to KY.

Elite 8, 3 final fours, National Title in 6 seasons.. Projected # 1 pre season.

Come on Dude, Really?

No one is denigrating Joe B Hall. I'm merely pointing out the obvious. Joe Hall was a very good, and pretty unappreciated coach. He followed a legend, successfully, which is hard to do and pretty unique. But I don't think anyone thinks of Joe B as an all time great. There was never any movement to get him in the HOF, for example, which actually includes some good but not great coaches. In 13 years at UK, he won about 74% of his games, went to 3 final fours, won a title, went to the NIT twice, including one appearance in the title game there.

In 14 years at UofL, Pitino has won about 74% of his games, went to 3 final fours, won a title, went to the NIT twice.

The version of Rick Pitino that lived in Lexington from 1989-1997 was a truly great coach. Revolutionary on offense and defense. And as far as results go, he was a machine. In the top 10 every week but once for 6 years, IIRC. NCAA seeds: 2,1,3,1,1,1. 5 elite 8s, 3 final fours in 6 years.

There is absolutely nothing about Pitino's performance at Louisville that resembles what he did at UK, unless you want to view it from 100,000 feet and say "meh, 3 final fours and a title at each place, looks even to me!!"

And yet, some people labor under this idea that Rick is the same, that he'd come here in the hypothetical and employ the free wheeling full court press and relentless 3 point barrage. Nope, now he's all about a match-up zone that his kids cannot master until they are juniors......Now, he hopes for a 4 seed so that he can make a run "if we get good matchups and stay our of Kentucky's region." Not the same dude.......

Pitino is a damn good coach and can get a lot of ability out of his players usually. They play a style that is unorthadox and it leads to a lot of wide open shots for em. Pitino has always had a problem with getting top recruits at UK it was this way as well. It was that way because every year their was rumors that Pitino was in talks with this NBA team or that team and he would never deny them until talks broke down. We had virtually every top player in the country visiting here but yet couldn't land but a couple of them because of his constant flirting. Countless times recruits said they would come here but wanted the coach to be here the 4 years that they would be here. All knew that Pitino had 1 foot out the door to get back in the NBA.

We would have 1-2 top 10 guys and the rest would be basically role players. Those role players would eventually turn into stars here at UK.
The '96 team would beat this team by 20 and the '97 team would also beat this team by 12-15. The '96 squad would regulary beat their opponents by 35-40 and we would put the scrubs in and the other team would eventually close the gap to about 20-25 or so. But it was important to get those scrubs some time on the court because they would be the ones leading us in 2 years.

The '97 team lost in OT in the title game and we had our most important player Anderson out with an ACL but could have played, Allen Edwards had twisted his ankle I think the game before and had a couple more players not 100%. If Nazr had hit 1 FT we would have another title in hand. Also the refs were all over us like they were against Wisconsin at the last of game against Duke and like they were against us against Wisconsin.
Teams back then were just so much better then than today because talent usually stayed all 4 years or were upper classmen. No way would have had this team been 38-0 in the 90's.

I told somebody before the game that if Pitino was coaching against Wisconsin with this team it would have been a blowout. Just my opinion, you pressure the guards enough so that the big men can't get the ball and Wisconsin had no shot. Just not the way Cal plays and he is not going to change, just the way it is. It is hard to complain with his results and the bottom line as mentioned above is Pitino could not have put this team together which is half the battle.

Uhhhh...yes he would've. That's the premise of the thread.

It's not that hard....

Where both Cal and Pitino excel is on the defensive end.

Pitino's a genius at taking a guy out of a game. Cal's strength is more on the defensive end as well. Neither is known as a stellar offensive gameplanner. I've many UofL friends who hate Pitino's halfcourt offense and have for years.

The issue of the Wisconsin game (and the ND game) was pace. Cal falls into this trap of allowing the other team to dictate pace too often, and then he tries to beat that team playing their style. Pitino would have undoubtedly sped Wisconsin up and that may have (stress "may") been a factor.

Guardplay was also huge, notably our mystifying decision to forget completely about our backcourt for the last 8 minutes of the game. Pitino would likely not have tried to shoehorn the ball into the post as much as Cal did. On his best teams the big man has been essentially a release valve; even Gorgui Dieng was a guy who played off of the guards.

In that way he might've had more success in the Wisconsin game. Maybe. But I tend to think "coaching genius" is wildly overblown in the sport of basketball. Basketball is an incredibly reactive game. Coaches have a hand in the game but it's generally not as pronounced as it is in football.

Thank goodness we do not have to worry about having that has been. We got the best coach around in coach Cal....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT