ADVERTISEMENT

I watched 2015 game vs Notre Dame last night

Those teams were only close to us because they were well coached teams.

The talent disparity between us and them was miles apart.

You could have picked any 5 players from both teams and our second 5 was better than those guys.

Just didn't have the coaching horsepower to match Mike Brey and freaking Bo Ryan.
Ryan abused Cal's switch everything defense. I can still see Booker guarding Kaminsky when I close my eyes.

1. Cal looked scared to death all game long. Looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.

2. You have to wonder how Poythress would have helped us in the end. Seemed like a natural matchup on Vasturia and Dekker and whoever Duke had.

3. Webber and Elmore called that game as if their kids were going to school at Notre Dame. The play by play guy was awesome, though.

4. I really thought when we survived this game we would play loose against Wisconsin, but it was the same uptight team. Maybe even worse. Duke game would have been a nightmare.
I did too, I thought that was the Cal choke game he got past but nope. Poythress being out changed our entire strategy but still no reason to lose that game.

Ryan abused Cal's switch everything defense. I can still see Booker guarding Kaminsky when I close my eyes.
I have tried to block that nightmare from my memory bank.

I really think that game finally convinced Cal that he couldn't coach with the better x and o guys, even with superior talent, and it broke him.

He suddenly became all about players getting to the NBA. No more 40-0 talk from Cal. No more we are going to pass UCLA talk from Cal. No more "winningest program in history" talk from Cal.

He knew he didn't have what it took to win at the highest level any more, and then he moved on to Arkansas where he doesn't have to.

That team was such a strangely dominating team. Dominating more because of their sheer length and athleticism at every starting position. But that starting lineup at times was dreadful offensively which is weird to imagine. They really struggled to score on many possessions and relied on offensive rebounds. But most teams
Just couldn’t score on them.

That team was such a strangely dominating team. Dominating more because of their sheer length and athleticism at every starting position. But that starting lineup at times was dreadful offensively which is weird to imagine. They really struggled to score on many possessions and relied on offensive rebounds. But most teams
Just another case of Cal not starting his best 5 players.

He covered it up by platooning until Poythress went down, and then that exposed his starting 5 as a mediocre offensive team ( due to Cal's offense) and the second team no longer could overcome Cal's quirky substitution patterns when he stopped platooning.

If you look at that season in college basketball, look at the records of the following teams going into the tournament:

Kentucky - 34-0
Villanova - 32-2
Gonzaga - 32-2
Wisconsin - 31-3
Arizona - 31-3
Virginia - 29-3
Duke - Duke 29-4

7 major programs with under 5 losses...that's insane. In the Calipari era, there was only 1 year that had at least 5 teams with less than 5 losses going into the tournament...2017 with 5 teams. Most years had 1, 2 or 3. 2015 was a great year in college basketball.

KAT was automatic on the block in that game .

Nowadays he has forgotten what being on the block looks like .
I know he still gets his numbers but I feel like every time I have a TWolves game on and am watching KAT, he plays terrible. He takes way too many horrible contested shots and doesn't play all that well through contact.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I know he still gets his numbers but I feel like every time I have a TWolves game on and am watching KAT, he plays terrible. He takes way too many horrible contested shots and doesn't play all that well through contact.
This would be pretty accurate. He’s inconsistent. He is at the 3 pt line way too much . But Unfortunately that is most bigs today.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Such a horribly coached team which sounds stupid to say considering they started 38-0 but they should've won every game by at least double -digits yet were fortunate to beat ND and had ridiculous close calls v. Ole Miss, LSU, A&M

Reactions: wildcatwelder
This would be pretty accurate. He’s inconsistent. He is at the 3 pt line way too much . But Unfortunately that is most bigs today.
He either needs to take good 3s that aren't contested or play down low and get buckets around the rim. It seems like too often he's getting the ball at the 3 pt line and trying to make a drive to the rim but he's just not quick enough to do that consistently. Always seems like he runs into traffic and either fumbles the ball and argues for a foul or takes a horribly contested shot. Either just take 3s in rhythm or plant down low and get his buckets around the rim when he's set up and doesn't have to drive the ball.

Offense liability is Cal’s calling card. Last year was an outlier when it comes to the average offensive efficiency of a Calipari Team. Cal’s best teams, 2012 and 2015, struggled with offensive efficiency.

Offense liability is Cal’s calling card. Last year was an outlier when it comes to the average offensive efficiency of a Calipari Team. Cal’s best teams, 2012 and 2015, struggled with offensive efficiency.
Coach Welch brought an exciting brand of modern offense to the team last year. Was really fun to watch and very productive.

As usual, as soon as Cal got his 7 footers off injured reserve, we reverted back to Cal ball.

And the rest as they say..is history.

Wonder why Welch was the first coach to bolt out of the Cal nut house at the end of the year?????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT