ADVERTISEMENT

I watched 2015 game vs Notre Dame last night

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
1. Cal looked scared to death all game long. Looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.

2. You have to wonder how Poythress would have helped us in the end. Seemed like a natural matchup on Vasturia and Dekker and whoever Duke had.

3. Webber and Elmore called that game as if their kids were going to school at Notre Dame. The play by play guy was awesome, though.

4. I really thought when we survived this game we would play loose against Wisconsin, but it was the same uptight team. Maybe even worse. Duke game would have been a nightmare.

Last edited:
1. Cal looked scared to death all game long. Looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.

2. You have to wonder how Poythress would have helped us in the end. Seemed like a natural matchup on Vasturia and Dekker and whoever Duke had.

3. Webber and Elmore called that game as if their kids were going to school at Notre Dame.

4. I really thought when we survived this game we would play loose against Wisconsin, but it was the same uptight team. Maybe even worse. Duke game would have been a nightmare.
This game was the first time all year I thought we were gonna lose. Notre Dame was on fire and I think it was Connaughton that hit a deep 3 to put them up like 5 or 6 with 4 or 5 minutes left I think. I legitimately thought we were going to lose when he made that. Took an insane finish to get the W. I thought we were in good shape after we survived ND but then ended up feeling like it was a toss-up right before the Wisconsin game. I rarely drink much during games but went and bought some Kentucky bourbon just to drink during the Wisconsin game because I knew I'd be a mess.

KAT literally willed us to that win. The fact Cal couldnt close that season is when we should've known that his in game coaching was… well bad. He finishes that season and hes coach here until he dies and honestly id be ok with that to finish 40-0 😢 say what you want but i think thats when cal lost his fire bc he knew hed never get that close to that mark ever again.

It's worth noting that Notre Dame was a DAMN good team, and beat Duke twice that year. They were no joke. That was one of Mike Breys finest teams.

I'm sure the pressure was insane. Going into that game, we were what 37-0? Everyone had their eyes at least somewhat on the horizon, 40-0 and immortality. I think the pressure probably got to everyone a bit as the tournament went on.

We probably blew our load a bit on that ND win.

And man, must be nice to go entire tournaments only playing one top team, or maybe none. It took Uconn finally playing it's TWELTH tournament game over two years, to actually play someone on the level of 2015s Notre Dame or Wisconsin.

KAT literally willed us to that win. The fact Cal couldnt close that season is when we should've known that his in game coaching was… well bad. He finishes that season and hes coach here until he dies and honestly id be ok with that to finish 40-0 😢
Yes, he did. He was amazing those last 5 minutes or so. Just kept going to him down low and ND couldn't stop him.

This game was the first time all year I thought we were gonna lose. Notre Dame was on fire and I think it was Connaughton that hit a deep 3 to put them up like 5 or 6 with 4 or 5 minutes left I think. I legitimately thought we were going to lose when he made that. Took an insane finish to get the W. I thought we were in good shape after we survived ND but then ended up feeling like it was a toss-up right before the Wisconsin game. I rarely drink much during games but went and bought some Kentucky bourbon just to drink during the game because I knew I'd be a mess.
I think it was vastoria.

Reactions: UK90
That was a great game. That Notre Dame team was tough as hell and gave us absolutely everything they had.

We were lucky to escape still alive …thanks to KAT being unstoppable with the ball in the low post. The big guy saved us that night.

Yep. There were at least six or seven moments down the stretch where I thought "it's just not our night." After that Houdini job we needed to face a Cinderella in the next game. Not the team that had our on court celebration from the year before burned in their brain.
We were blowing them out early. Think we went up like 9-0 or something.

Check out the box score. Connaughton, Grant and the point guard had off shooting nights. Auguste was 10 of 13 and Vasturia 6 of 8.

Also, if Grant had hit that last shot it would have been the all time knife in our back. Not just because of the stakes, but because he took six steps to get the shot off.

• Haha
Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand

3. Webber and Elmore called that game as if their kids were going to school at Notre Dame. The play by play guy was awesome, though.

Great post, FT ... CCC didn't just look scared, he was scared to death, because he didn't know what to do ! That's the reason he will forever be known as "CCC" - because, simply, he can't coach !

We won that game but when Cal spent the final five minutes doing nothing but dumping it down to KAT in the post I knew we were sitting ducks for any high-level coach with a high-level team who was really paying attention. That’s why to me the Wisconsin outcome was super sad but not particularly surprising. Never quite bought the roofery explanation either. Sure that guy didn’t like us but across the years we wailed on good teams right under the noses of people like John Clougherty, Don Rutledge, Karl Hess… If John Higgins was messing with us and giving us problems it was because he was a jerk and probably crooked. But if John Higgins was sending us home it was because we were weak and lacking a game plan. imo

Calipari coached scared in that game, as well as in the Wisconsin game; the 2018 KSU game; the 2019 Auburn game; the St. Peter's game, and the Oakland game.

Fear was all over his demeanor in those games. Total fear.

We won that game but when Cal spent the final five minutes doing nothing but dumping it down to KAT in the post I knew we were sitting ducks for any high-level coach with a high-level team who was really paying attention.
Doesn't anyone realize this is why we lost to Kansas State, St Peters, and now Oakland. Cal's offense when he is "scared" is to get it to the low post. Now KAT perhaps you can argue but when P.J. clearly was off on free throws you don't keep that one dimensional focus on offense for him to repeatedly get fouled and up to the line, you don't focus on Oscar solely and then have the last play to Brooks, and you don't abandon an offense of 3 point shooters and change it to no matter what get it into the post against Oakland. You will never convince me that wasn't the instructions for Sheppard and similar offense in the other years either.

Doesn't anyone realize this is why we lost to Kansas State, St Peters, and now Oakland. Cal's offense when he is "scared" is to get it to the low post. Now KAT perhaps you can argue but when P.J. clearly was off on free throws you don't keep that one dimensional focus on offense for him to repeatedly get fouled and up to the line, you don't focus on Oscar solely and then have the last play to Brooks, and you don't abandon an offense of 3 point shooters and change it to no matter what get it into the post against Oakland. You will never convince me that wasn't the instructions for Sheppard and similar offense in the other years either.
Exactly, brother.

Not only would Poythress have helped us on defense vs ND and especially Wisc, but ALSO having him would have likely resulted in us still using The Platoon and wearing down teams defensively. Just look at what we did to top 5 KU early that Dec, not to mention UCLA. We were playing “Historically Great” defense until the Poythress injury and end of The Platoon holding teams to I think about 29% shooting; and after that the defense dropped to just Good but far from great.

What made that team so great wasn’t that we could put the best 5 players on the court. A few other teams had comparable starting 5. What made them so great was that our second 5 was almost as good (probably could have been top 10-15 team on their own). And the way we played with The Platoon simply wore other teams down. You could see fear and frustration on their faces every time we brought in a fresh 5 to go “all out” on defense for the next 5min.

This game was the first time all year I thought we were gonna lose. Notre Dame was on fire and I think it was Connaughton that hit a deep 3 to put them up like 5 or 6 with 4 or 5 minutes left I think. I legitimately thought we were going to lose when he made that. Took an insane finish to get the W. I thought we were in good shape after we survived ND but then ended up feeling like it was a toss-up right before the Wisconsin game. I rarely drink much during games but went and bought some Kentucky bourbon just to drink during the Wisconsin game because I knew I'd be a mess.
Lol.
1. Know I'm going to be a mess watching this game.
2. Go buy a big jug of Kentucky Bourbon.
3. Drink all of it by halftime.
4. I am a mess.
5. Mission accomplished.

I KNEW I was going to be a mess watching this game, and here I am...a mess.🤣😂😂

I wonder how many alcoholics Cal should get credit for trying to watch 8 NBA all Stars beat a scrub team with one 4 star and a bunch of YMCA chumps??

His OAD produced more alcoholics in BBN than stars in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcwildcats04
I knew when Cal choked against Wisconsin that he’d never win another championship. Some on here have asked, when were you ready for Cal to be gone? For me, honestly, it was then
Same here. I posted that night that Cal would never win another title.

Reactions: cathouse
That was a great game. That Notre Dame team was tough as hell and gave us absolutely everything they had.

We were lucky to escape still alive …thanks to KAT being unstoppable with the ball in the low post. The big guy saved us that night.
I have to disagree — we played tight and horrible . They had a couple good guys , we were loaded for bear … we struggled because we we outcoached so badly . And I know is I was heckled by some jerk the entire game . Worst I’ve been subject too . Ruined the experience really , that and we played like scared teens .

I still remember screaming my head off in that KSU game where we had a gift to the final four - PJ was completely rattled and a mental mess on the FT lime but we kept going to him making it worse. Needed to switch it up and take pressure off of him and get some action for SGA going. So damn frustrating. And then what in the world was the whole feeding and starting Tre Mitchell thing this postseason - made absolutely no sense and was completely maddening. Also taking out Humphries when he was absolutely on fire against UNC in 2017. And not feeding Demarcus Cousins in 2010.Stall ball in 2015 when Wisky was on the ropes down 4. I mean so many stupid maddening decisions in the postseason from him.

KAT literally willed us to that win. The fact Cal couldnt close that season is when we should've known that his in game coaching was… well bad. He finishes that season and hes coach here until he dies and honestly id be ok with that to finish 40-0 😢 say what you want but i think thats when cal lost his fire bc he knew hed never get that close to that mark ever again.

Cals first year really was really the first signs of his lack of in game coaching ability. That 2009 team shouldnt have lost to anyone come March. All it took was a packed in zone to make Cal panic and let the guys keep jacking up bricks from the perimeter.

That ND was very similar to the Wisconsin team.

Wisconsin = 1st offensive/35th defensive
ND = 2nd offensive/99th defensive

Those teams were not only the best offensive teams that season but some of the best offensive efficiency teams since tracking this stuff (97-2024)

Interesting to look back and see the prediction (UK 65 Wisconsin 62). Amounted to a 65% chance of winning.

That Wisconsin team (and ND) was closer to us than most would like to admit.

Lol.
1. Know I'm going to be a mess watching this game.
2. Go buy a big jug of Kentucky Bourbon.
3. Drink all of it by halftime.
4. I am a mess.
5. Mission accomplished.

I KNEW I was going to be a mess watching this game, and here I am...a mess.🤣😂😂

I wonder how many alcoholics Cal should get credit for trying to watch 8 NBA all Stars beat a scrub team with one 4 star and a bunch of YMCA chumps??

His OAD produced more alcoholics in BBN than stars in the NBA.
LOL It's funny, I don't even really like bourbon all that much (blasphemy I know for a Kentuckian). Love red wine more than anything and like beer and rum. Just never really have got into bourbon to this point. But, figured this was a special game so should do it up a bit different since bourbon is our thing. And, to be fair, I sipped on it throughout the game but was pretty out of it by the end of the game. Went to bed without a care in the world even after the heartbreaking loss. Thanks Kentucky bourbon!

Those teams were not only the best offensive teams that season but some of the best offensive efficiency teams since tracking this stuff (97-2024)

Interesting to look back and see the prediction (UK 65 Wisconsin 62). Amounted to a 65% chance of winning.

That’s the problem. We have ten NBA players l. That f’n idiot coach has us as good as Wisconsin and Notre Dame. He’s a damn fool. He can recruit/cheat/buy players. But he can’t coach a lick.

Those teams were only close to us because they were well coached teams.

The talent disparity between us and them was miles apart.

You could have picked any 5 players from both teams and our second 5 was better than those guys.

Just didn't have the coaching horsepower to match Mike Brey and freaking Bo Ryan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT