ADVERTISEMENT

I think we’re gonna love this Perry kid!

Travis Perry is a WINNER !
--- A "Mr. Basketball" has been named in Kentucky every year since 1954.
--- Only 15 Kentucky high school basketball players in the last 70 years were voted as Mr. Basketball in Kentucky and also led their teams to win the Kentucky high school State Tournament Championship.
--- Only these played for U.K.:
Billy Ray Lickert 1957
Mike Casey 1966
Dirk Minnifield 1979
Dom Hawkins 2013
Travis Perry 2024
All U.K. basketball fans will recognize all of those names.
That's pretty good company ! ! !

Perry will be fine. He has been coached his whole life to know that he can be a very effective offensive player without the ball always in his hands. He is constantly in motion, beating defenders to the spots where he is a flat out deadly shooter. Pope's offense is perfect for him.

I hope everyone is not expecting a repeat of Reed Sheppard with Perry. Perry is going to need 2-3 years IMO.
He will never be as athletic as Reed, will probably always be shorter, and it is very doubtful he will have the same kind of uncanny instincts for the game either (no insult as very few ever have) but he can make shots and I suspect can contribute by doing so right away.
When he is on, an open three is a free throw.

He is a better than capable passer too but you are right that it will take some time for him to truly grow into his best potential for us but that doesn't mean he can't chip in meaningfully along the way.

--- Only 15 Kentucky high school basketball players in the last 70 years were voted as Mr. Basketball in Kentucky and also led their teams to win the Kentucky high school State Tournament Championship.
Billy Ray Lickert 1957
Mike Casey 1966
Dirk Minnifield 1979
Dom Hawkins 2013
Travis Perry 2024
I knew the previous three were a nice group but I hadn't heard of Billy Ray Lickert so I had to look him up...it was a great group as he was as good as any of them.

Reactions: ukwazoo
People will just need to have reasonable expectations. He is not going to produce like Reed Sheppard. But he might have a couple nights where he gives us 20.

I knew the previous three were a nice group but I hadn't heard of Billy Ray Lickert so I had to look him up...it was a great group as he was as good as any of them.
I saw Lickert and his Lafayette team play every game of the 1957 State Tournament. He had 26 in the final game to win it. That was the first year that the State Tournament was played in Freedom Hall. I was 10 years old.

Billy Ray Lickert 1957
Mike Casey 1966
Dirk Minnifield 1979
Dom Hawkins 2013
Travis Perry 2024
Wonderful tradition!

Reactions: JPFisher
I hope everyone is not expecting a repeat of Reed Sheppard with Perry. Perry is going to need 2-3 years IMO.
Didn't he outplay Sheppard when they faced each other...

maybe I have it wrong, but I thought they both had big games but Perry outscored him significantly.

Didn't he outplay Sheppard when they faced each other...

maybe I have it wrong, but I thought they both had big games but Perry outscored him significantly.
“In the end, the duo combined for 77 total points, and each produced some crazy individual stat lines. Perry moved close to the state scoring record with an impressive 45 points, including 10-16 from three. As for Sheppard, he played an all-around game and recorded a triple-double with 32 points, 13 assists, and 10 rebounds.”

“In the end, the duo combined for 77 total points, and each produced some crazy individual stat lines. Perry moved close to the state scoring record with an impressive 45 points, including 10-16 from three. As for Sheppard, he played an all-around game and recorded a triple-double with 32 points, 13 assists, and 10 rebounds.”

I don't assume he will be as good as Sheppard, but I wouldn't assume he won't contribute in year one either.

I don't think he is as far off - as a college player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT