ADVERTISEMENT

I think Gavin Wimsatt has Heisman Potential

Jun 7, 2001
Some people might call me delusional, and maybe they are right. But I thought enough of the kid to write him a four figure NIL check based on my conversation with him. The kid is smart, a strong leader, and has strong work ethic.

He made NFL throws at various times of the season but also struggled at times with the short passing game, which for the life of me, I still don’t understand. If your qb coach/OC can improve his short passing game, he will be a 55-60% passer, at least. I think his issues are mechanical and fixable, with the right coaching. As a runner, he is elite, and takes long strides to ease past defenders. I think his potential is to run for 100+ yards and throw for 200+ yards.

Thanks in large part to Gavin and our RB, Rutgers won 7 games last year. This is very impressive especially considering we haven’t had a winning season since 2014. We also played competitively with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa, till we ran out of gas in the fourth quarter.

Also impressive because the WR Corp wasn’t that good and we lacked an impact tight end.

Maybe his lot in life is to be a great wildcat QB for y’all. But I think he can be so much more. I believe in the kid and think the sky is the limit.
Very disappointed to see him leave Rutgers, and hope he will achieve great things at Kentucky.
Here are some highlights from our wins where he figured prominently.

Some people might call me delusional, and maybe they are right. But I thought enough of the kid to write him a four figure NIL check based on my conversation with him. The kid is smart, a strong leader, and has strong work ethic.

He made NFL throws at various times of the season but also struggled at times with the short passing game, which for the life of me, I still don’t understand. If your qb coach/OC can improve his short passing game, he will be a 55-60% passer, at least.
Thanks for stopping in and sharing.

iu

A fresh start with his home state fans cheering him on certainly can’t hurt ! It’s going to be up to him and I think he will work hard, just needs to work the right way. I’m sure he can improve his passing with reps and practice. He’s in a good place to work for it and will get a chance to prove himself in practice. I think we have a great one already this year and hopefully leads us to a playoff berth and becomes a first round pick. Then Gavin can 100% go and see what he’s capable of. Love the young man and proud to have him. I’m not predicting anything here guys. lol. Easy. Just fanning!

Sounds good I just don’t know that even with improvement a 47% passer is going to get to be the guy. Situational runner or change of style play and plug in for injury seems to be the ceiling.
He’s not that far away as people think from being a good quarterback. With effective coaching, which will help him complete short passes, he will get there. Averaging just 2 more completions per game gets him to 57%. Averaging just 3 more completions per game, gets him to 60%, which is the ideal.

He’s not that far away as people think from being a good quarterback. With effective coaching, which will help him complete short passes, he will get there. Averaging just 2 more completions per game gets him to 57%. Averaging just 3 more completions per game, gets him to 60%, which is the ideal.
LMAO

60% isn't the ideal anymore. With so many offensive systems concentrating on ball control passing and getting rid of the ball quickly, I believe 65% is more the ideal.

Regardless, Wimsatt has potential and, if he improves a lot, he could be effective. But, a kid in his 3rd year still running 2nd or 3rd string at Rutgers isn't winning the Heisman.

60% isn't the ideal anymore. With so many offensive systems concentrating on ball control passing and getting rid of the ball quickly, I believe 65% is more the ideal.

Regardless, Wimsatt has potential and, if he improves a lot, he could be effective. But, a kid in his 3rd year still running 2nd or 3rd string at Rutgers isn't winning the Heisman.
The reason he was 2nd string is he has issues completing short passes. If OC Hamden is able to complete those, he will easily be the starter.

The reason he was 2nd string is he has issues completing short passes. If OC Hamden is able to complete those, he will easily be the starter.
And, again, it's his 3rd year. How likely is it that he suddenly learns how to complete short passes at a high rate? At some point, you are who you are. I would expect him to improve but he's not turning into Drew Brees or even Lamar Jackson this summer.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
And, again, it's his 3rd year. How likely is it that he suddenly learns how to complete short passes at a high rate? At some point, you are who you are. I would expect him to improve but he's not turning into Drew Brees or even Lamar Jackson this summer.
It’s actually his fourth year, but he has two years of eligibility. How likely is it? Well that’s the rub.

I don’t know. But if he gets it done, he will easily start. Hopefully, he will better respond to Hamden tutelage.

If Gavin Wimsatt wins the Heisman, it will be as some sort of offensive weapon half back, wing, TE/WR, etc and means Brock Vandergriff had a hell of a year getting him the ball.

I'll take it.

He doesn't need to be QB here, most likely won't be, but by all accounts, has the potential to contribute as some sort of multi-purpose offensive weapon.

It’s actually his fourth year, but he has two years of eligibility. How likely is it? Well that’s the rub.

I don’t know. But if he gets it done, he will easily start. Hopefully, he will better respond to Hamden tutelage.
Whether he starts, plays only a few snaps each game is not what makes me happy. Our coaches continue to work on building depth necessary to compete in the SEC. I hope the young man has wonderul success dressed in blue. Also, Mr rutgersal, thank you for your input, hope you are spot on in your thoughts!!!

He made NFL throws at various times of the season but also struggled at times with the short passing game, which for the life of me, I still don’t understand. If your qb coach/OC can improve his short passing game, he will be a 55-60% passer, at least. I think his issues are mechanical and fixable, with the right coaching. As a runner, he is elite, and takes long strides to ease past defenders. I think his potential is to run for 100+ yards and throw for 200+ yards.

Thanks in large part to Gavin and our RB, Rutgers won 7 games last year. This is very impressive especially considering we haven’t had a winning season since 2014. We also played competitively with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa, till we ran out of gas in the fourth quarter.

Also impressive because the WR Corp wasn’t that good and we lacked an impact tight end.

Maybe his lot in life is to be a great wildcat QB for y’all. But I think he can be so much more. I believe in the kid and think the sky is the limit.
Very disappointed to see him leave Rutgers, and hope he will achieve great things at Kentucky.
Here are some highlights from our wins where he figured prominently.

Paraphrasing Rob Reiner's mother's infamous line from "When Harry Met Sally": Ill have what Rutgeral is having...LOL

Not here this year. He could complete 80% of his practice passes, we have our starter locked in. I’m happy to have Gavin and hope he improves his short passes for sure. He could really be a weapon for us this year especially in the wildcat. Now next season he could have a chance if he improves and we lose our QB to the league. Well I’ll have to think about what I said about 80%. lol. It would be closer I suppose. lol. Still, Brock is the stater as of right now and has the job as long as he doesn’t just flop and give it away. I think he’s going to be unbelievable this season actually.

Last edited:
We don't need him to win a Heisman. We likely only need him to pick a few first downs throughout the season and be ready as an insurance injury replacement. I think he's capable to do that and hope he develops into more of an occasional weapon.

It seems like there is a narrative that you cannot be taught accuracy. I think on some level, that’s probably true but you can absolutely teach mechanics and you can build consistency. For a guy who has a lot of other tools it’s not a bad bet. He could develop into a starter after a year behind BVG and I believe he has the eligibility to do that.

It seems like there is a narrative that you cannot be taught accuracy. I think on some level, that’s probably true but you can absolutely teach mechanics and you can build consistency. For a guy who has a lot of other tools it’s not a bad bet. He could develop into a starter after a year behind BVG and I believe he has the eligibility to do that.
BVG doesn’t have a lot of experience. Gavin has proven his mettle against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Miami. His mechanics need to be improved, otherwise he wouldn’t have transferred. That is the opportunity for Kentucky.

He can make NFL intermediate throws but struggles with the short throws. If he can complete the short throws, he will be your starter.

60% is bare minimum. 65% is good. 70% is great

BVG doesn’t have a lot of experience. Gavin has proven his mettle against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Miami. His mechanics need to be improved, otherwise he wouldn’t have transferred. That is the opportunity for Kentucky.

He can make NFL intermediate throws but struggles with the short throws. If he can complete the short throws, he will be your starter.
He won’t start this season (barring the unforeseen). But he may have his time. Wimsatt is from my hometown, played in the same program I played in. I am for him. But BVG came to start and he will. He was a breath away from starting for Georgia last year. Down to the wire. Gavin’s got work to do but if he does it, he can still write his story and can still do great things at Kentucky.

Al why don’t you enlighten this KY crowd about GW’s stats in those “mettle-proving games“ and also about your well-known imaginary love affair with him.

Not going to happen. 2 main reasons are he isn't very good, and BV came to UK for less NIL because AU wouldn't assure him he would be the starter. He came to UGA and happened to end up behind a QB who won back to back NCs and battled to the very end to be the starter at UGA last fall. BV wanted to play.

He won’t start this season (barring the unforeseen). But he may have his time. Wimsatt is from my hometown, played in the same program I played in. I am for him. But BVG came to start and he will. He was a breath away from starting for Georgia last year. Down to the wire. Gavin’s got work to do but if he does it, he can still write his story and can still do great things at Kentucky.
Agree with the sentiment of this post. Gavin
Still has work to do, no doubt. I think Kentucky will get his best effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT