ADVERTISEMENT

I hate what college basketball has become.

The NCAA could have got out in front of this years ago. But they refused to entertain the idea that college athletes should make money. Then when states passed NIL laws, and the SCOTUS essentially told them their model of forced amateurism was illegal, they lost control.

I love it for the kids. They have unique skills and are bringing in money for the universities. They should absolutely get their cut. Capitalism all the way!

They need to take 1 thing away. Either Nil or the portal and I think would be much less chaotic.
NIL isn't the issue. The instant transfer element is where 100% of the problems lie.

Pay the kids, fine, but make them wait a year before they transfer. This would significantly reduce the transfer portal, build more roster continuity, and make the college game exponentially more enjoyable.

It would also stop most of the tampering that is occurring.

Just don’t follow until the season starts. It would be no different the 15-20 years ago when we only had the cats pause

The transferring is out of control. Limit the transfers to once and make it so that you play two years before you can move unless there is a coaching change or some other unseen catastrophe.

Cap NIL at the school level. Set a limit for all schools and that's it.

Also make the NBA open the doors to high school kids, even if it means a lawsuit.

The transferring is out of control. Limit the transfers to once and make it so that you play two years before you can move unless there is a coaching change or some other unseen catastrophe.

Cap NIL at the school level. Set a limit for all schools and that's it.

Also make the NBA open the doors to high school kids, even if it means a lawsuit.
You can't cap NIL without collective bargaining. So that won't happen. The NCAA and NBA can't collude and the NBA's draft eligibility requirements are collectively bargained. So no lawsuit would be successful. I believe Mike Williams from USC tried to sue for eligibility to the NFL draft back in the mid2000s and lost. So those deals are pretty iron-clad.

NIL isn't the issue. The instant transfer element is where 100% of the problems lie.
It’s both. Or, more accurately, the combination of both. As @bthaunert has pointed out, these are the two most monumental changes in the sport in like the last half century. If just one had happened without the other, the sport would’ve been able to better figure out how to adapt to it in a rational manner. But for both to occur at essentially the SAME time is insanity.

It has spun the sport into something unrecognizable from what it was before in a shockingly fast period of time. Everyone essentially being a free agent for sale EVERY year is something I never imagined my once favorite sport becoming.

3anki8.jpg

Keep in mind, if the transfer portal and instant eligibility didn't exist. We likely would not be able to field a team next season.
Not if you sign with a school and have to get an education. What a concept, loyalty to a school. Maybe soldiers can sign NIL deals, get paid for the number of kills they can confirm.

The NCAA can’t hold people out a year when they transfer, because the second they did, someone will sue to say they should be classified as employees, they will win, and the NCAA would be required by law to suddenly take on tens of thousands of employees.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Pay the kids, fine, but make them wait a year before they transfer. This would significantly reduce the transfer portal, build more roster continuity, and make the college game exponentially more enjoyable.

What about a salary cap as is MLB and NFL?
Then penalties to keep it honest.
Fines plus a loss of scholarship for grossly exceeding the cap.

I hate it for the small conference teams that will always lose any star they get but I like it for UK since it
makes it a near certainty that Pope will be able to get the players he needs to put a strong team on the
court. Remember, he's shown he can win without any 5 star recruits and few if any 4 star recruits and that
was before portal madness.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Agree.

But I’m sure they’ll find a way to make placing some limits on transfers somehow illegal or “unfair” to the “kids.”

LOL… “kids” who are now making/demanding boatloads of cash with no apparent requirement of any commitment beyond a single season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ala_kat2
You can't cap NIL without collective bargaining. So that won't happen. The NCAA and NBA can't collude and the NBA's draft eligibility requirements are collectively bargained. So no lawsuit would be successful. I believe Mike Williams from USC tried to sue for eligibility to the NFL draft back in the mid2000s and lost. So those deals are pretty iron-clad.
You can sue for anything. Just say that the rule is age discriminations and go. Even so, it might not be the best idea.

Haywood vs the NBA in 1971 used an anti trust lawsuit sighting the Sherman Act. The Supreme Court forced the NBA to get rid of the rule that said a player had to wait four years after high school to be drafted. That opened the door for high school students and the current day situation.

Here's a wacky story.

As far as a cap is concerned, the collectives would have to go away and the schools would have to take over overseer duties for distribution of NIL funds. Again, maybe not the best idea.

Truth is, unless lawmakers step in, which they are talking about, this whole situation will have to be fixed by the players and schools themselves. Self imposed rules, if you will.

First things will have to implode pretty hard. Once that happens they will get serious about "fixing" things.

NIL is the issue

Reactions: KFuqua
Greed will kill college sports,both coaches and players will lose out!

Money isn’t all of it, I think some of these guys just like recruited again, but money is tied to that too.

They need to take 1 thing away. Either Nil or the portal and I think would be much less chaotic.
Yes. NIL was ok, but now it's open bidding free agency with shady agents and gambling interests. NCAA should have regulated NIL so players had to raise their own money without agents. They don't want any more court cases so they've completely given over to this.

What about a salary cap as is MLB and NFL?
Then penalties to keep it honest.
Fines plus a loss of scholarship for grossly exceeding the cap.
Those were collectively bargained by the players associations. Until players unionize and agree to framework with "salary caps" and other things it will continue to be a free for all.

The courts have been very clear on this. The NCAA is not legally allowed to limit a player's earning potential or their freedom of movement to another school.

The NCAA can’t hold people out a year when they transfer, because the second they did, someone will sue to say they should be classified as employees, they will win, and the NCAA would be required by law to suddenly take on tens of thousands of employees.
And give them benefits.

I don't necessarily agree with the analogy, but there were some allusions to slavery with extra steps towards the NCAA's old method. Again, I don't agree with it per se, but you could make a slight argument for it.

Exactly a free market. And everyone wants a free market until they're affected by the negative sides of said free market.

I think people foget that while capitalism is a very good thing (and the right system), if there aren't any rules in place, we've seen what happens there (look at some of the early days of the robber barons and monopiles in the US). It got better and a lot of US Entrepreneurs did a lot of good for the US. Andrew Carnagie built thousands of libraries for communities across the Untied States that couldn't afford them (days before our taxes paid for them). Vanderbilt helped the US build railroads.

We don't see a lot of that anymore, and a great deal is do to the US tax system. However, we seem to also see less and less civil minded wealthy folks. Or at least seems to be that way.

A little greed is good. That's not what we see anymore. We see a lot of greed. And for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be making its way back into communities anymore. There's always gonna be a few. John Wall has donated tons of time and money to various initiatives. So has Boogie. I could name several more, but it would turn into a diatribe.

Point being, I think we see a lot of "buy a fifth house" kinda stuff at the very top and less public/private initiatives that we use to see a lot of.

Those were collectively bargained by the players associations. Until players unionize and agree to framework with "salary caps" and other things it will continue to be a free for all.

The courts have been very clear on this. The NCAA is not legally allowed to limit a player's earning potential or their freedom of movement to another school.
Okay.

There’s no reason to have instant AND unlimited transferring. The game has turned into a big game of musical chairs.

Let's just face it. Most of the OAD players are also mercenaries who are just biding their time in college for a few months until they get the opportunity to jump into the NBA.

I'll say a huge number of those players don't care about the university or the program they play for. But I will agree with most posters on the subject of transfers. Something needs to change.

Reactions: KFuqua
I just wish we could find a nice middle ground between old school and portal/NIL era.

The "old" way was too rigid and gave the institutions all of the power. Coaches could leave in the middle of the night and be eligible to coach the next year. Players had to sit a year, sometimes even if they moved closer to home because their mom was dying. Top programs paid top players. It was just done under the table and funneled through boosters and runners. Players could jeopordize their eligibility for accepting a free pizza or burger from a restaurant owner. The illusion of "amateurism" in big time college football and basketball has been BS for at least 40 years.

The new way is just pro free agency but every player in the NCAA is essentially on a one-year deal if they want to be. The unlimited transfers are pure insanity, but the courts ruled in favor of the athletes. With this new era being a free market situation, markets tend to regulate themselves eventually. If the bag money dries upafter 3-4 years, maybe there will be a little more stability. (Don't know if it's legal, but maybe incentivize NIL bonusues for staying multiple years similiar to a player/team option in pro sports??)

Reactions: JDHoss
Kentucky fans complaining that the transfer portal is ruining college basketball after spearheading the one and done era is hilarious. Just because no one wants to go to Kentucky anymore now there is a problem with kids only playing one year. It's going to be a long year in Lexington. 😂😂😂
Yeah and a long one in Fayetteville too🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: fla.cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT