ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve got to be honest

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Going to be honest I haven’t felt this way about a team or the season since the 16-17 team. Just a different feeling fans have when they know that their teams are really good. All I’ve got to say is, enjoy the ride and don’t let the negatives of the team stop you from enjoying them. Could end up being a special season!

It’s seems I’m alone but I really liked the 19 team and the 20 team. I’ve enjoyed this team more as I love their style of play but I liked those other teams quite a bit as well.
I liked them as well. The Kellan Grady team when healthy was one of the best in the nation and was embarrassing opponents. The end of the thing is not the only thing we should judge a team by.

It’s seems I’m alone but I really liked the 19 team and the 20 team. I’ve enjoyed this team more as I love their style of play but I liked those other teams quite a bit as well.
Was just about to post the same.

Additionally, really liked how 2022 team was playing in late Jan early Feb as well. Had just blown out KU on the road, and had all the makings of a final four run.

I am not one to use the injury excuse. But I will be a hypocrite in this case...the team was never the same once Tyty got hurt (chemistry couldn't be found like it was earlier in year), and you could tell something was wrong with Grady (which obviously came out once the year ended).

Was just about to post the same.

Additionally, really liked how 2022 team was playing in late Jan early Feb as well. Had just blown out KU on the road, and had all the makings of a final four run.

I am not one to use the injury excuse. But I will be a hypocrite in this case...the team was never the same once Tyty got hurt (chemistry couldn't be found like it was earlier in year), and you could tell something was wrong with Grady (which obviously came out once the year ended).

That year went south quick, and then the sharpe fiasco. We were great in late January but then the wheels fell off.

Reactions: chroix
I liked them as well. The Kellan Grady team when healthy was one of the best in the nation and was embarrassing opponents. The end of the thing is not the only thing we should judge a team by.
The end is pretty big factor when looking at teams. They were a fun team, and were probably one of the best teams around this point in the season. But in the end, nothing to show for it. One of those “what if” type of teams.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
The end is pretty big factor when looking at teams. They were a fun team, and were probably one of the best teams around this point in the season. But in the end, nothing to show for it. One of those “what if” type of teams.
Agreed. The end is a big factor.

But in a sport like this, decided in no small part by the randomness of a single elimination tournament, the end cannot be the only factor.

Going to be honest I haven’t felt this way about a team or the season since the 16-17 team. Just a different feeling fans have when they know that their teams are really good. All I’ve got to say is, enjoy the ride and don’t let the negatives of the team stop you from enjoying them. Could end up being a special season!
Thinking you may be right ... certainly hope so.

Agreed. The end is a big factor.

But in a sport like this, decided in no small part by the randomness of a single elimination tournament, the end cannot be the only factor.
Fair. I’m not a title or bust guy anymore, but I do look at three things when looking back on past UK teams: did they win SEC regular season, win SECT, or make a FF?

Accomplish one of those things, and I will look back on that as a decent to great season. Unfortunately, that team came up short on all three.

Just swap Reeves in for Grady and we probably win it all.

Can't catch a break with players on scholarship actually playing for us the last few years. If not injury it's something else.

Reactions: thedahc
You know that's just not true. But if you believe your own lies that's up to you. All negative all the time is a choice.
It's not true? We've had some very good UK teams in the last 8 years, but few of them were really good by UK's old standards that seem to be fading away.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Wouldn’t trade our roster for anyone else’s. I think UConn has a deep and balanced squad, efficient offense and strong defense. They are more balanced than UK, but not as good of a shooting team, not as potent offensively. I read and shared in many of the lamentations over the last half decade on this forum that Cal had kinda lost the plot that quite simply you have to outscore your opponent. Defense helps in that pursuit, but nothing replaces the ability to put the damn ball in the damn basket!!

If you can score every time you have the ball, you only need one stop. Offense is more important than defense.

Fair. I’m not a title or bust guy anymore, but I do look at three things when looking back on past UK teams: did they win SEC regular season, win SECT, or make a FF?

Accomplish one of those things, and I will look back on that as a decent to great season. Unfortunately, that team came up short on all three.
That is definitely a more reasonable evaluation system than the national championship or it's a complete failure crowd, of which there seem to be a lot.

It's not true? We've had some very good UK teams in the last 8 years, but few of them were really good by UK's old standards that seem to be fading away.
Maybe you are being intentionally negative (my bet) or you just don't remember the 21-22 team before injuries derailed them

Not only did they beat both the national champion and national runner up but thumped them. UNC 98-69 and eventual national champion Kansas AT Kansas 80-62.

So your original assertion that we "can only field a good team" every 6 to 8 years is just not true.

Reactions: GFANBB and maxp12
If Kentucky were to end up winning the title, and correct me if I’m wrong. They would be the first team to ever win a title and not have a top 12 ranked defense. Like I said correct me if I’m wrong

Reactions: NociHTTP
100% sure this team will not lose to this years St. Peter’s.
How about this year's Auburn or Kansas State?

Sorry, too soon?

tenor.gif

It's a shame that the gold standard program can only field a good team that has a good chance to win it all every 6-8 years or so.
We cant change the past but the program is moving forward. Maybe tou should try it.

If Kentucky were to end up winning the title, and correct me if I’m wrong. They would be the first team to ever win a title and not have a top 12 ranked defense. Like I said correct me if I’m wrong
I think that's true, but I think it can also be misleading and certainly not a death sentence. This team is atypical in a lot of ways.
  • This team has the highest offensive efficiency for any Kentucky team since 1996
  • Sixth best three point shooting in country
  • Late addition of Ivisic adding length to frontcourt
  • Depth
  • Guard-Heavy
  • Balanced, but reliant on freshmen
  • Adou has been out hte past month
I put freshmen above because that also signifies more upside throughout the season. So, based on that, we can generally expect improvement as time moves forward, which is anomalous to 99% of college basketball teams. Of course, that's a bit more abstract

Reactions: LXWildcat
The thing that sets this team apart from any but 2015 is that its two deep at every position and 3 deep in 7 footers, plus they play to win and do not play scared. I feel like they will lose again any team can be beat in todays world with inconsistent officiating or a cold streak, but I feel like every game they play they have a opportunity to win. If they can go into Auburn in that environment and remain competitive they can win any game they play. No matter what I am going to enjoy this season that is too rapidly going along, never enjoyed a team any more than this one.

You do realize only 6 teams have won 5+ Championships in the history of NCAA right?
Of course. But I'm not one who judges whether we had a great team or not by whether they win a championship. I've said over and over it's how the program is being run that I focus on. It hasn't been run like the gold standard that our coach proclaimed for a long time.

Maybe you are being intentionally negative (my bet) or you just don't remember the 21-22 team before injuries derailed them

Not only did they beat both the national champion and national runner up but thumped them. UNC 98-69 and eventual national champion Kansas AT Kansas 80-62.

So your original assertion that we "can only field a good team" every 6 to 8 years is just not true.
I have plenty of positive posts. Maybe you just choose to reply to the negative ones.

That team had some good games, no doubt. Especially the games you mentioned. But they were not consistent enough to be great and their tourney results showed that.

And anyway, how I judge the program or the team isn't based on the best couple of games they played or whether they won the championship. And I haven't seen a great team out of us in quite awhile until maybe this year.

The Covid team was one of the hottest teams in the country and was about to get a 2 seed. Don’t over react. They could have made a big run

The Covid team was one of the hottest teams in the country and was about to get a 2 seed. Don’t over react. They could have made a big run
The 2019 team that lost in elite 8 to Auburn had a shot to win it all as well. That's 3 years of the past 7 we had a team who could have won it all. Even the team that lost to St Peter's was a top 10 team and under the right circumstances could have made a deep run.

The covid year 9-16 team left a bad taste in people's mouths and they forget we have had some good teams recently. Those teams just underperformed when it mattered, could have easily turned out differently. That being said we have our best team in almost a decade this year and the rest of the country is in a down year. I feel good about our team this year.

I have plenty of positive posts. Maybe you just choose to reply to the negative ones.

That team had some good games, no doubt. Especially the games you mentioned. But they were not consistent enough to be great and their tourney results showed that.

And anyway, how I judge the program or the team isn't based on the best couple of games they played or whether they won the championship. And I haven't seen a great team out of us in quite awhile until maybe this year.
The realistic goal should be to have a team that COULD win the national championship. It's extremely hard to win it all, as we know. In the Cal era, we've had a team in the legitimate championship conversation in 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, and now 24. That's 10/15 years. Three of those non-championship caliber teams were a 4 seed, a 5 seed, and a 6 seed. I'd say that's a pretty good run over the past 15 years. Is it time to win another title? Certainly. And we might just have that type of season this year.

The 2019 team that lost in elite 8 to Auburn had a shot to win it all as well. That's 3 years of the past 7 we had a team who could have won it all. Even the team that lost to St Peter's was a top 10 team and under the right circumstances could have made a deep run.

The covid year 9-16 team left a bad taste in people's mouths and they forget we have had some good teams recently. Those teams just underperformed when it mattered, could have easily turned out differently. That being said we have our best team in almost a decade this year and the rest of the country is in a down year. I feel good about our team this year.
Feeling good is all relative. I’ve felt good several times about my sports teams. Some folks have not felt good since 1996.

Let’s just try to enjoy it right now. Pretty fun at the moment.

100% sure this team will not lose to this years St. Peter’s.
Teams get seeded on nerd numbers.

St Peters was not a 15 seed type team in reality.

They didn’t just spring up and have a good game. Only to fall flat next game.

They made the E8.

I actually agree. We have legit chance of a championship this year. I think our D will improve greatly with Z and Thiero returning.

What the hell was going on with Hagans though? I left for a Caribbean cruise and everything was great, except for a few cases of Covid out west …….when I got back some people were saying Hagans had quit or been kicked off the team and the whole country had gone to shit ! Seemed like I stepped out of a time machine!

Wouldn’t trade our roster for anyone else’s. I think UConn has a deep and balanced squad, efficient offense and strong defense. They are more balanced than UK, but not as good of a shooting team, not as potent offensively. I read and shared in many of the lamentations over the last half decade on this forum that Cal had kinda lost the plot that quite simply you have to outscore your opponent. Defense helps in that pursuit, but nothing replaces the ability to put the damn ball in the damn basket!!

If you can score every time you have the ball, you only need one stop. Offense is more important than defense.
I mostly agree...but we gotta aim for more stops.

Don't let one single stat discourage you. Every team is different. Every season is different. There are no standout dominant teams this year. We are actually Tier Two right now and we don't have all our guys healthy. There's a long season ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT