ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical sports question

BigBlueEric

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2006
It's the off season and I thought it would be nice to take a break from the worry about Murray's decision and whether or not UNCHEAT will get adequate punishment (they won't).

My friend and I were pondering on a hypothetical question the other day. What sporting event in history, not necessarily UK related, would you like to be able to have attended in person while not knowing the outcome at the time. For me, I think I would have to go with the 1980 US hockey victory over the Soviets at the Olympics. Still the greatest upset in all sports during my lifetime. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be in that arena. What about you guys?

You set the bar high. Hard to top that one and I don't even like hockey.

I'll throw a few out.

The 1985 title game between Nova and Georgetown.

1973 Belmont Stakes just to see Secretariat lap the field.

Tyson Douglas.

Reactions: maverick1
A couple off the top of my head

Jack Niclaus' last Masters win in 1986

Game 6 of the 1980 NBA finals when Magic started at center in place of the injured Kareem & had 42 points & 15 rebounds as Lakers won the championship.

Would've love to have seen a Sugar Ray Leonard fight live...against Hagler or Hearns.

great idea for a thread by the way... :)

Cats vs Wisconsin. I was 110% sure we was gonna get number nine

subtletroll-jpg.186308

I would've loved to see an Ali title match in his heyday. Something like "The Thrilla in Manila".

Probably wouldn't be number one on my list, but seeing Don Larsen throw a perfect game in the World Series would've been amazing to see in person.

July 4, 1939 Yankee Stadium for Lou Gehrig's Luckiest Man Speech that somewhat ended his feud with Babe Ruth.

good call on ali. of all the icons, and pop culture settings, seeing ali in the late 60's - early 70's would be top billing to me. thrilling, filling, and down right chilling. just in terms of historical relevancy, being ringside for one of those epic title fights would be truly surreal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT