ADVERTISEMENT

"Hurley, Perfect Heel, Perfect Fit For UK"

Hurley said his success in coaching has a lot to do with the type of recruits he gets. Said he has passed on a lot of athletic freaks to get players that are all about team and winning.
and I love that - he was essentially throwing shots at Calipari and to some extent Coach K.

He said it starts with the parents - do they demand more and make excuses for their kids or do they hold them accountable - Shaedon Sharpe wouldn't have been a Kentucky player if Hurley was coach, and if he was, he'd have played the moment he became eligible. I have no idea how Hurley would deal with Klutch or any other player rep, but I suspect he doesn't tolerate much, and he did just fine without it.

Wolken's article

Maybe Hurley doesn't think that kind of place is for him, which is fine. It’s his life, his career. But the craziest fan base in college sports and the sport’s emotionally volatile genius of the moment would be a history-altering marriage that anyone – well, anyone except Kentucky's opponents and UConn fans – would want to see.

that is exactly the kind of articles that were being written about Cal going to Kentucky.

if we get Scott Drew because Hurley turned us down, fine, but there won't be any articles like this about Drew coming to UK. Instead they'll talk about him being the safe choice

all I want is Hurley to sit down with his wife and talk about a large offer from Kentucky and ask if its worth it.

at the same time, I don't Kentucky to make the same mistake with him they did with Calipari and that is create this monster who has all the leverage and no accountability for performance.

Hurley’s personality reminds me a lot of young Pitino. Same sort of hard-driving uber-competitive intense energy delivered in that same sort of brash New Yorker-ish style.

From my experience, those type dudes ain't always so likeable to be around, but by god, nothing stops them from succeeding.

and I love that - he was essentially throwing shots at Calipari and to some extent Coach K.

He said it starts with the parents - do they demand more and make excuses for their kids or do they hold them accountable - Shaedon Sharpe wouldn't have been a Kentucky player if Hurley was coach, and if he was, he'd have played the moment he became eligible. I have no idea how Hurley would deal with Klutch or any other player rep, but I suspect he doesn't tolerate much, and he did just fine without it.

Wolken's article

Maybe Hurley doesn't think that kind of place is for him, which is fine. It’s his life, his career. But the craziest fan base in college sports and the sport’s emotionally volatile genius of the moment would be a history-altering marriage that anyone – well, anyone except Kentucky's opponents and UConn fans – would want to see.

that is exactly the kind of articles that were being written about Cal going to Kentucky.

if we get Scott Drew because Hurley turned us down, fine, but there won't be any articles like this about Drew coming to UK. Instead they'll talk about him being the safe choice
And the same articles about Pitino when he came to UK as well.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
hurley’s been at uconn for six years now. he’s had two great years, the other four not so impressive, nor his pre-uconn record.
could he have just caught lightning in a bottle like kevin ollie?
time will tell but i’m not completely sold on the guy.

Reactions: TriCountyCat
I think Hurley will not leave UConn they have become the new college BB dynasty.
People have the wrong perception that Hurley is in the middle of some dynasty. He has had only ONE great season. Only one. This one. He has never won the Big East until this year and has never lost fewer than 8 games until this year. He has never been a 1, 2, or even 3 seed until THIS year. Let's see if he can dominate the Big East starting with next season.

Reactions: blubo
This is the type of coach we need
for the last 5 years or so UK fans have begged Cal to be more like this - not exclusively but move his focus away from populating the NBA All Star league . He never had bad players behavior wise but he was subject to their (or their reps) demands.

Reactions: chroix
This is the type of coach we need
It's weird to read that synopsis of Hurley. Hurley doesn't deal with "me" types. Cal's successes at UK hinged on getting them and then making them buy in to the system and team mentality. Both interesting strategies with pros and cons.

hurley’s been at uconn for six years now. he’s had two great years, the other four not so impressive, nor his pre-uconn record.
interesting - similar can be said of Donovan. I can remember Donovan sitting with his face in his hands getting blown out at Rupp by Tubby.

It's weird to read that synopsis of Hurley. Hurley doesn't deal with "me" types. Cal's successes at UK hinged on getting them and then making them buy in to the system and team mentality. Both interesting strategies with pros and cons.
I think one could argue as the years progressed, Cal bought more into their "me" mentality then them buying into his system.

May as well quit dreaming about Hurley. When the wife does not want to leave an area then it is done. A coach having spouse problem, because of an insisted move, would not do his job well.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Lightning twice? In a row? Yeah this guy just figured out his sweet spot. Now he needs to take it somewhere else and keep going.

Back to back titles isn’t lightning in a bottle, especially when you consider he had some turnover and only got better. Guy is a top coach and it’s not debatable. That team ran a motion offense that was damn near unguardable.

3 years ago he changed his style and philosophy of the game offensively and defensively. And it worked. To me the consistency of that philosophy the last 2 years lead to back to back championships. It was nearly a 180 of what he was doing that did not work. I commend him for changing it. Something Cal would never ever do

May as well quit dreaming about Hurley. When the wife does not want to leave an area then it is done. A coach having spouse problem, because of an insisted move, would not do his job well.

When her husband is making 5-6 million more annually, I think the wife can probably deal with it. JoAnne Pitino didn’t want to live here either. But she did.

No doubt, the guy can coach(Hurley). You see it in his offense and his in game adjustments. Maybe most importantly, you see it in his players desire to compete.

Odds may be slim but I haven't given up on getting him yet. His interview on the bus I think, left me thinking the door is cracked open but he wants to enjoy this for a day or so.

I think one could argue as the years progressed, Cal bought more into their "me" mentality then them buying into his system.
Absolutely. His system works as long as everyone knows it's his way or the highway. Not sure that was the M.O. in Cal's last few seasons.

See: Sharpe.

Any coaches resume can be picked apart however one wants too. True about Hurley, Drew or Donovan. Personally I think all 3 coaches would do quite well at UK. Hurley and Donovan have the type of personality that fits the UK job moreso than Drew but Drew can coach right alongside those two. Seems Hurley and Donovan would be welcomed here with a bit of grace allowed that would not be afforded to Drew by a portion of the fanbase. I just hope we get one on the 3. I really don’t have a preference for 1 over another for a myriad of reasons.

See: Sharpe.
Yep, not a chance in hell the Sharpe circus would've been tolerated by Hurley. You also don't see any of those 5 star super-athletes without actual BB skills like Khalil Whitney and Damion Collins being recruited by him.

Just a whole different approach.

Reactions: JPFisher
When her husband is making 5-6 million more annually, I think the wife can probably deal with it. JoAnne Pitino didn’t want to live here either. But she did.
story about Pearl's wife refusing to live in the south until Tennessee called

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT