ADVERTISEMENT

HS State Semi-Final Matchups set

Roe07

All-American
Dec 16, 2007
Bluegrass State
1A
Campbellsville (11-1) @ Beechwood (10-2)
Raceland (11-2) @ Pikeville (10-2)

2A
Mayfield (13-0) @ Walton-Verona (11-2)
Christian Academy-Louisville (13-0) @ Somerset (11-2)

3A
LaRue County (8-5) @ Central (11-2)
Boyle County (13-0) @ Corbin (12-1)

4A
Franklin-Simpson (12-1) @ Taylor County (12-1)
Knox Central (10-3) @ Johnson Central (12-1)

5A
South Warren (13-0) @ South Oldham (12-1)
Covington Catholic (13-0) @ Pulaski County (11-2)

6A
Trinity (7-6) @ Male (12-1)
Madison Central (10-3) @ Scott County (10-3)

Reactions: Smashcat and jauk11
Anyone see that mud bowl Pulaski won last night over Southwestern? Both teams so muddy you couldn't tell them apart once the play started other than Southwestern's orange helmets.

That’s a trek for Mayfield to have to go all the way up to the northern KY area. They’ll roll W-V by at least 3 TDs.
Hope not but you may be right. Mayfield is just simply on another level it seems. I think they'll meet Christian Academy in the championship game.

how the hell is Boyle county always good? They were top dawgs back when I played high school football too ... that's been 13 damn years ago

Defending 4A state champs. Only loss this year was to South Warren who is 13-0 and will likely play for the 5A title in a few weeks.
Did they lose a lot from last years team? I’m just curious because my girlfriends little brother plays for Taylor co and they just beat Moore last night. Was curious how Franklin Simpson matched up

how the hell is Boyle county always good? They were top dawgs back when I played high school football too ... that's been 13 damn years ago

You from Nicholasville? I graduated from East Jessamine back in ‘02. Didnt play football but like you say, Boyle County dominated back then too.

Did they lose a lot from last years team? I’m just curious because my girlfriends little brother plays for Taylor co and they just beat Moore last night. Was curious how Franklin Simpson matched up

Not really sure who they lost and how many starters they brought back or anything else like that. I'm a teacher in Warren County so I keep up with a lot of the teams in the district and region just as far as their records go.

1A Pikeville over Beechwood
2A Christian Academy-Louisville over Mayfield
3A Boyle County over Louisville Central
4A Johnson Central over Franklin-Simpson
5A Covington Catholic over South Warren
6A Louisville Male over Scott County

Early predictions that rarely come to fruition lol.

1A
Campbellsville (11-1) @ Beechwood (10-2)
Raceland (11-2) @ Pikeville (10-2)

2A
Mayfield (13-0) @ Walton-Verona (11-2)
Christian Academy-Louisville (13-0) @ Somerset (11-2)

3A
LaRue County (8-5) @ Central (11-2)
Boyle County (13-0) @ Corbin (12-1)

4A
Franklin-Simpson (12-1) @ Taylor County (12-1)
Knox Central (10-3) @ Johnson Central (12-1)

5A
South Warren (13-0) @ South Oldham (12-1)
Covington Catholic (13-0) @ Pulaski County (11-2)

6A
Trinity (7-6) @ Male (12-1)
Madison Central (10-3) @ Scott County (10-3)

My guess is:
Beechwood in 1A
CAL in 2A
Central in 3A
Johnson Central in 4A
Cov Cath in 5A
Trinity in 6A

For those watching Cov Cath, a few names to look out for :

Michael Mayer - 6-5 235 lb Junior TE/LB
Committed to Notre Dame
- Don't know how it would be possible but would love to figure out how to get this kid to flip. I coached he and his brother AJ (Frosh QB @ Miami OH who led Cov Cath to state championship last year). Couldn't ask for a better kid or family. Absolute freak athlete for his size. Could really play anywhere and do equally well. Reminds me of Sam Hubbard (Moeller, Ohio St and Bengals) in a lot of ways.

Jack Coldiron- 6-4 205 lb Senior WR/ S
Committed to Miami (OH)
- Long lean and fast. Great hands. Another great kid.

Casey McGinness- 5-9 185lb Senior RB/ S
Believe he may be committed but unsure.
- IMO, this is the best player on the best team in the state. They would not be where they are this year without him. With all due respect to Wandale Robinson, I think this kid is his equal. It's only because N Ky doesn't get strong press coverage throughout the rest of the state that you don't hear about him more. Will leave as the schools all time leading rusher. That feat was accomplished through most of the past two undefeated years when they had running clocks placed on almost everyone. Would love to see what he could do in a similar role as Robinson on UK's team next year.

Lucas Jones - 6-4 270 lb Junior OT
Uncommitted.
- Son of former U.K. Lineman Barry Jones. Lucas was injured earlier this year but is back. Has tremendous footwork, agility and speed. An absolute mauler. Also- great kid and extremely coachable. I expect he will be at the top of recruiting lists heading into next year. UK needs to jump on this kid.

Caleb Jacob- 6-2 195 lb Soph QB
Uncommitted
- Nephew of Coach Eddie Eviston. Caleb took over for outgoing AJ Mayer and didn't miss a beat, leading them to a (thus far) undefeated season. I do not have his stats but knowing who is coaching him and his measurables, I'd wager this kid will be one of the states top 2-3 QB's by the time he is a Senior

Eviston has it rolling there- it also doesn't hurt that Highlands has been down the past several years from where they normally perform. Wouldn't surprise me to see multiple state championships out of Park Hills.

Reactions: GGplaya
Anyone see that mud bowl Pulaski won last night over Southwestern? Both teams so muddy you couldn't tell them apart once the play started other than Southwestern's orange helmets.

Was there in person. No rooting interest in the game, just like to watch high school playoff football. They had a sign on the Pulaski side that said, "We must protect the Maroon Lagoon." Lagoon was being kind...haha. It was a great game even though the field conditions were less than ideal. Oddly enough, Somerset and LCA were playing at Somerset that night which is about a mile away. On the way out I passed by that field and it was immaculate compared to Pulaski Co. Both are grass and were polar opposites in terms of condition. Cov. Cath. would do well to practice in the mud all week.

Unusual for Trinity to be the underdogs and written off earlier in the season. Young team that suffered major injuries. Got healthier and matured. Could not win a game. 1-6 at one point. Never dropped the rope. Their coaches have done a great job keeping them together moving some players around and putting in some new plays that fit them. They are on a roll with the underdog chip on their shoulder. Improving by leaps and bounds. Great story.

Unusual for Trinity to be the underdogs and written off earlier in the season. Young team that suffered major injuries. Got healthier and matured. Could not win a game. 1-6 at one point. Never dropped the rope. Their coaches have done a great job keeping them together moving some players around and putting in some new plays that fit them. They are on a roll with the underdog chip on their shoulder. Improving by leaps and bounds. Great story.
Go Rocks!

Not really. Beatty is an a**. He has some good assistants under him and he talks a good game and gets all the credit but most close to the program would be happy to see him move on. I love a hard a** coach but Beatty treats his players and opposing coaches like dirt. There are several kids on this team with no heart and that are not team players and all about themselves. I’m still rooting for them but having been around the program for three years now I can honestly say this team doesn’t have a chance of bringing home another one. Hope they prove me wrong in spite of the short comings. I think it’s Male’s year.

Last edited:
My FInals predictions...

1A - Beechwood beats Pikeville

2A - Mayfield beats CA-Louisville

3A - Boyle County beats Central

4A - Franklin-Simpson beats Johnson Central

5A - Covington Catholic beats South Warren

6A - Male beats Scott County

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT