ADVERTISEMENT

How much would it take for you ???

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
Let's say you are satisfied with your team and your minutes, but realize you stand a very good chance of significantly increasing your NIL$ income by entering the portal. What amount of annual income would lead you to transfer ?? It seems to me that this is the question that many players are faced with ...

None of these athletes know anything about being an adult or bills so they really don't need much.

If I was a sought after transfer and the market allowed for it I'd say 100k. Again, not being a normal person or student I'd just base that on 100k sounding like a ton of money, which it is, especially when you have room and board and meals and most utilities already paid for.

If it’s ME and I’m playing at UK, there’s no amount of money to make me leave. That’s the reason we need more KY boys who grew up loving the Cats! I know we can’t have a starting 5 of just KY boys but having 3-4 on the team each year could help our depth since they would be least likely to transfer.

If it’s ME and I’m playing at UK, there’s no amount of money to make me leave. That’s the reason we need more KY boys who grew up loving the Cats! I know we can’t have a starting 5 of just KY boys but having 3-4 on the team each year could help our depth since they would be least likely to transfer.
I understand your sentiment, as I've been a fan over almost 65 years, but significant money can be enticing. Having said that, I was surprised to see C.J. Fredrick transfer. I assumed he would finish up here.

I understand your sentiment, as I've been a fan over almost 65 years, but significant money can be enticing. Having said that, I was surprised to see C.J. Fredrick transfer. I assumed he would finish up here.

My thoughts are, the money will be gone most likely within 10 years. Earning a degree, playing at UK and possibly winning a championship at UK are all things that have no price tag and something that lasts a life time. Maybe kids are different now tho. Maybe they don’t grow up living and breathing UK basketball like we did.

I understand why some kids transfer. I can’t say I even blame them in some cases. I just think the yearly turnover would be much less with a couple KY boys that didn’t think they were 1-2 and done.

Yep. Ware is another one that was shocking to me.
I guess it boils down to simply returning home to finish out in front of family and friends. Actually, given their prospects for playing time, it makes some sense for both of them. Fredrick is from Cincinnati and Ware is from Camden, NJ, which is just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia and only five (5) miles away (easily less than 15 minutes by Interstate).

I guess it boils down to simply returning home to finish out in front of family and friends. Actually, given their prospects for playing time, it makes some sense for both of them. Fredrick is from Cincinnati and Ware is from Camden, NJ, which is just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia and only five (5) miles away (easily less than 15 minutes by Interstate).
Yep. NJ is right beside Philly. I worked up there for T Mobile for awhile. Was in Maple Shade, NJ for a couple months. Didn’t care much for it, though, tbh.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
$100k would definitely sell me on a
"Playing for the University of Kentucky has always been a dream of mine...[filler paragraph]...[filler paragraph]...I would like to thank my teammates *include something about being brothers*, coaching staff, and most importantly, BBN. I have decided to enter the transfer portal to make that money finish out my college career." post.

None of these athletes know anything about being an adult or bills so they really don't need much.

If I was a sought after transfer and the market allowed for it I'd say 100k. Again, not being a normal person or student I'd just base that on 100k sounding like a ton of money, which it is, especially when you have room and board and meals and most utilities already paid for.
Don't forget the best healthcare.

Let's say you are satisfied with your team and your minutes, but realize you stand a very good chance of significantly increasing your NIL$ income by entering the portal. What amount of annual income would lead you to transfer ?? It seems to me that this is the question that many players are faced with ...
Let’s ask Dickinson.
If I made the same and everything else was the same I might transfer. It might be nice to play without hearing yelling the entire game. Plus the new client list at the new school!

I heard it reported UK players averaged just north of $100,000 with several obviously making considerably more. If that's not enough then some guys will likely have a rude awakening post basketball career.

I heard it reported UK players averaged just north of $100,000 with several obviously making considerably more. If that's not enough then some guys will likely have a rude awakening post basketball career.

How does the pay for NIL work w2 wise?

Are they getting 100k net or gross? Big difference.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

The opposite, really. The guys who know their future is limited that are more likely to cash in on getting as much as they can while they can. If I was in their place and I could get a 125k headstart vs a 100k headstart, I'm getting while it's good.

Reactions: Zissou87
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT