ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world is Davonte Robinson ranked so low?

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
According to Rivals he is 6-foot-1, 170-pounds, runs a 4.35 forty-yard dash, has offers from Kentucky, Louisville & Notre Dame, yet he's only rated as the 10th-best player in the state of Kentucky? (not to mention that he's getting strong interest from Ohio State & Florida State) I know I've read that he doesn't go to these camps in order to get stars like a lot of these other guys, but still..it's ridiculous that he isn't rated as one of the top-5 players in the state. For a corner he has ELITE size and speed, and he's getting big-time offers. I mean I know that once a guy commits to Kentucky the perception of him seems to drop, but come on, unless his measurables are just drastically inflated I don't see how he isn't rated a lot higher at this point. I think this kid is a hidden gem right now..one of the best commits that we have in this class. Feels like one of those players that the scouts are just missing on..unless that 6'1" and 4.35 forty are just competlely made up there is absolutely no way that there are 9 guys better than him in Kentucky. I would put him as the fourth-best player in the state right behind Kash Daniel at the very lowest. DB's that are over 6 foot tall that run a sub 4.4 forty yard dash don't exactly grow on trees.

He looks like that prototypical LSU/Alabama DB.. 6'1"- 6'2" rangy, athletic playmaker:

www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3136445/highlights/220613375

Last edited:
He stays a secret by not going to any of the camp series. Suits me fine b/c he is a great DB talent for sure.

Notre Dame got a whiff and they are all in. If he camped, he'd have the big boys coming...

Reactions: jnewc2
He stays a secret by not going to any of the camp series. Suits me fine b/c he is a great DB talent for sure.

Notre Dame got a whiff and they are all in. If he camped, he'd have the big boys coming...

I've read that, and that's the only thing I can think of at this point..once he adds a little muscle to that frame I could see him being lethal

I've been wondering the same thing for quite a while, Rivals needs to get over their phobia of ignoring recruits that don't go to their camps, probably money motivated like everything else these days probably.

I've been wondering the same thing for quite a while, Rivals needs to get over their phobia of ignoring recruits that don't go to their camps, probably money motivated like everything else these days probably.

That's what I'm thinking..I know they want guys to come to their camps or whatever, but it seems like they'd be more concerned with who the best players actually are and keeping their credibility instead of rewarding guys for going to all these camps and promoting themselves

Reactions: BlueRattie
the same way kg daniel was a 3*... its about the camps... it doesn't matter that daniel beat a 4* badly in a hs matchup... he just didn't camp enough to get that 4th star... but our coaches had him at the top of their board so after the signing class is on campus the rankings go away and its about who you are as a player in this system and how hard you work.

davonte has a world of ability. if he works hard and stays healthy he will probably play on sundays. i just hope that he adds a few more offers so that they bump him to a 5.7 at least. i mean come on... unrated with UK, nd, missouri, ul offers and osu showing interest... serious question, has osu ever recruited a kid that wasn't at least a 5.6 in the meyer era?

the same way kg daniel was a 3*... its about the camps... it doesn't matter that daniel beat a 4* badly in a hs matchup... he just didn't camp enough to get that 4th star... but our coaches had him at the top of their board so after the signing class is on campus the rankings go away and its about who you are as a player in this system and how hard you work.

davonte has a world of ability. if he works hard and stays healthy he will probably play on sundays. i just hope that he adds a few more offers so that they bump him to a 5.7 at least. i mean come on... unrated with UK, nd, missouri, ul offers and osu showing interest... serious question, has osu ever recruited a kid that wasn't at least a 5.6 in the meyer era?

I think he'll have a good chance to be a star in college..I know it sounds crazy to say that kind of stuff because it's so hard to project a guy from HS to college, but with those kind of measurables it would be hard for him not to come in and make an impact after maybe a redshirt year of adding some muscle..not to mention he looks like he has a knack for making plays

My question is how would Rivals rate and rank these thousands of kids if they didn't have these camps for side-to-side comparisons? The camps do seem to me to be the most efficient way of developing the "pecking order" of thousands of kids all across the country. If not camps what system would be a more accurate way?

1. Part of it, I'm sure, is the "reverse UK effect". A high school kid committing to UK early in the process while never seriously looking at other schools must mean that no one else wanted him, right? With our all to recent history of Joker "snatching" MAC talent away from Toledo and Ball State, we're going to have that stigma for a while--at least until we prove that we evaluate, develop, and coach up talent. That stigma, unfortunately, sticks to our recruits as well. This perception is changing, thanks to Stoops and company.
  2. Rivals makes a boatload of money off these camps. One way to "encourage" kids to go is to withhold stars from those that seldom attend their camps. A better, more accurate scouting service would put their credibility ahead of the camp numbers. Unfortunately, Rivals has found themselves in the gray area between scouting service and football camp provider. It is difficult to be both if you're trying to stay objective.
  3. On a related note, this makes me feel good about this kid. He has a full tool box, including some tools that even excellent high school athletes don't have (that size to speed ratio is insane). He could go camping like crazy to get his public profile buzzing, but why? He already has his school picked out. Who cares what other people think about him now? Seems like the kind of kid more interested in the respect of his teammates than the fawning attention of coaches he'll never even play for.

One reason why Elam was a 5 star on Scout and a 3 star on here. That's a huge difference there. I can understand being a 3/4 on different services, but a 3 vs 5? Come on man. Especially when a kid has the offer sheet he did.

One reason why Elam was a 5 star on Scout and a 3 star on here. That's a huge difference there. I can understand being a 3/4 on different services, but a 3 vs 5? Come on man. Especially when a kid has the offer sheet he did.

Yeah, and they never did back off their stance and admit it was wrong. Makes them look a little foolish to me.

Reminds me of when Rolling Stone gave Appetite for Destruction "2 stars", while writing that it was white trash music. Later, when it sold a zillion copies or so, they "revised" their ranking to 5 out of 5 stars. I understand that hindsight is 20 / 20, but I wonder how many of our three / two star guys are going to be "revised" after we turn this thing around. [eyeroll]

Agree! One of them has made a big time misstate .

We have a lot of guys in this class that have kept a low profile and while its hurt their ranking it's in all likelyhood bolstered our class in a big way. Many in Ohio believe that Gilliam is the best DB in a loaded Ohio class this year and better than West or Edwards.

Ja'quizz Cross has flown under the radar in a huge way. In terms of DT's that we've had commit under Stoops I think his film is the most impressive of them all and he refused to camp for UGA saying his commitment is solid. I have a feeling If he did camo the Dawgs would be all over him.

Zy'Aire Hughes apparently ran a laser timed 4.43 at UK last year and broke a backboard dunking in a high school game at 6'1" 200 lbs. I didn't know all of that until recently but it sounds like he has flown under the radar in a big way. He should easily be ranked above Wakefield if only for his build and athleticism.

There are others too it sounds like Rigg, Walder, Griffin, Rose, Daniel, Hoak, and Looney could all be borderline 4 star prospects

We have a lot of guys in this class that have kept a low profile and while its hurt their ranking it's in all likelyhood bolstered our class in a big way. Many in Ohio believe that Gilliam is the best DB in a loaded Ohio class this year and better than West or Edwards.

Ja'quizz Cross has flown under the radar in a huge way. In terms of DT's that we've had commit under Stoops I think his film is the most impressive of them all and he refused to camp for UGA saying his commitment is solid. I have a feeling If he did camo the Dawgs would be all over him.

Zy'Aire Hughes apparently ran a laser timed 4.43 at UK last year and broke a backboard dunking in a high school game at 6'1" 200 lbs. I didn't know all of that until recently but it sounds like he has flown under the radar in a big way. He should easily be ranked above Wakefield if only for his build and athleticism.

There are others too it sounds like Rigg, Walder, Griffin, Rose, Daniel, Hoak, and Looney could all be borderline 4 star prospects

Excellent points, thank you, I think most of the commits in this class are not rated as high as they should be.

According to Rivals he is 6-foot-1, 170-pounds, runs a 4.35 forty-yard dash, has offers from Kentucky, Louisville & Notre Dame, yet he's only rated as the 10th-best player in the state of Kentucky? (not to mention that he's getting strong interest from Ohio State & Florida State) I know I've read that he doesn't go to these camps in order to get stars like a lot of these other guys, but still..it's ridiculous that he isn't rated as one of the top-5 players in the state. For a corner he has ELITE size and speed, and he's getting big-time offers. I mean I know that once a guy commits to Kentucky the perception of him seems to drop, but come on, unless his measurables are just drastically inflated I don't see how he isn't rated a lot higher at this point. I think this kid is a hidden gem right now..one of the best commits that we have in this class. Feels like one of those players that the scouts are just missing on..unless that 6'1" and 4.35 forty are just competlely made up there is absolutely no way that there are 9 guys better than him in Kentucky. I would put him as the fourth-best player in the state right behind Kash Daniel at the very lowest. DB's that are over 6 foot tall that run a sub 4.4 forty yard dash don't exactly grow on trees.

He looks like that prototypical LSU/Alabama DB.. 6'1"- 6'2" rangy, athletic playmaker:

www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3136445/highlights/220613375

The reason for lack of star power is not attending the camps another is his hs coach isn't pushing his film. Now I am a firm believer you can't find football players at camps while they are wearing shorts, but for CB's there is something you can get a better idea of in a camp setting, how flexible they are in their hips and how quick they can turn and burn. Against HS kids the guys who are really good CBs aren't tested very often by opposing WR and QB combinations and that talent isn't quite as valuable, so they want to see that in person. Speed is essential at CB, but so is the ability to turn out of your backpedal without slowing down.

I am not real sure we are after Cross. UGA has 2 DL committed, going to try to take 4, 5 if the right 5 come on board. Rochester and Clark are committed, we leader for Carter, almost everyone but AU and UT fans feel we lead for Derrick Brown. Top 3 for Antwan Jackson and looking like we will get officials from Dexter Lawerence and Rashan Gary, not a real shot at either I don't think but if we take 5 it will be one of them. Staff thinks we get Carter and Brown

I am not real sure we are after Cross. UGA has 2 DL committed, going to try to take 4, 5 if the right 5 come on board. Rochester and Clark are committed, we leader for Carter, almost everyone but AU and UT fans feel we lead for Derrick Brown. Top 3 for Antwan Jackson and looking like we will get officials from Dexter Lawerence and Rashan Gary, not a real shot at either I don't think but if we take 5 it will be one of them. Staff thinks we get Carter and Brown

You're probably right but Richt did call his high school coach trying to get Cross to camp and they told him we're sorry but he's committed to UK and he's solid

You're probably right but Richt did call his high school coach trying to get Cross to camp and they told him we're sorry but he's committed to UK and he's solid

Ok then, but Right isn't the one that makes the calls on who gets defensive offers. As a parent, I wouldn't like my kid's coach making a the decision where my son camped or visited.

Hopefully that is what the coach was told to say and it was not him that made the decision.

Hopefully that is what the coach was told to say and it was not him that made the decision.

We had over 700 kids at our big camp this past week, over 300 rising sr, most didn't have offers. Some came trying to get an offer, some came just to spend tie with guys they have become friends with during the recruiting process. Many didn't even participate, just spent the day. But camps can't be invite only, they have to be open.

But unlike many schools, UGA doesn't put out a ton of offers, usually least in the SEC.

I make more typo's posting from my phone than I do from my computer

Last edited:
I talked to his mom yesterday and she said he's visiting Notre Dame, Florida St, and Alabama for his three visits. That he has offers from all three. She said he wanted to prove it on the field not at a camp. He didn't care about rankings.

I talked to his mom yesterday and she said he's visiting Notre Dame, Florida St, and Alabama for his three visits. That he has offers from all three. She said he wanted to prove it on the field not at a camp. He didn't care about rankings.

Thanks..I hope that's true..I think as long as we have a strong showing on the field this season we'll be able to keep all of these players (especially the Ky kids) because if we don't all of these teams will put on the full-court press once the season is over..it would take a lot to pry a Kentucky kid away from home, but I hope we erase all doubt by having a solid season with 7 or 8 wins and a win or two over a big time program

Reactions: woodson991
Good discussion on this thread. I really like Robinson and agree he's undervalued. ESPN is not showing him a lot of love on their recruiting site either. He's rated a 72 over there, which is a low 3-star, which in turn is ridiculous.

Reactions: woodson991
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT