ADVERTISEMENT

How good is Kriisa on defense?

ukfan1622

Junior
Jan 15, 2021
I know there are a lot of folks here that watch a lot more film than myself so I was wondering. I know he can pass and shoot but guys that like to trash talk usually take defense seriously; defensive sieves get trash talked to them.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
I hope Coach MP put a lot emphasis on defense but haven't heard much from him about his defensive philosophy. Hopefully Kriisa and team will bring it on the defensive end. Some nights the outside shot will not go down. I hope this doesn't derail what they need to do on the defensive end to win the game.

I think what I am most excited about regarding Kriisa, other than his shooting, is the attitude he brings. We would hate him if he played against us, but the last few teams Cal has here lacked a dawg didn’t give a shit what the other team thought or did. Kriisa is that guy. Pairing him with Butler is going to be a major headache for opposing point guards.

I am basing off of 2nd hand information but read he is a bit of a defensive liability. Hopefully we have enough good defenders to off set any inadequacies he may have.
Yep, I've read this same thing. I believe the article I read was on KSR, so I'm sure many would dismiss that outright. But anyway, they referenced Kriisa's reputation- said he was known as a great facilitator and a great shooter/scorer (a clutch shooter) but on the negative side he was somewhat turnover-prone and also a bit of a defensive liability. But even weighing those negatives, he was still seen as a net positive. The other thought was that in Pope's style of offense, he would be ideal. Pope has apparently been trying to recruit Kriisa since he was still a kid, so it's clear Pope thinks very highly of him, despite any deficiencies. I think Kriisa is not exactly "Mormon material" if you know what I mean. Pope was trying to recruit him to BYU and their honor code likely kept that from happening.

Yep, I've read this same thing. I believe the article I read was on KSR, so I'm sure many would dismiss that outright. But anyway, they referenced Kriisa's reputation- said he was known as a great facilitator and a great shooter/scorer (a clutch shooter) but on the negative side he was somewhat turnover-prone and also a bit of a defensive liability. But even weighing those negatives, he was still seen as a net positive. The other thought was that in Pope's style of offense, he would be ideal. Pope has apparently been trying to recruit Kriisa since he was still a kid, so it's clear Pope thinks very highly of him, despite any deficiencies. I think Kriisa is not exactly "Mormon material" if you know what I mean. Pope was trying to recruit him to BYU and their honor code likely kept that from happening.
My nephew is an ordained minister and he's the most competitive person I know!

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat
My nephew is an ordained minister and he's the most competitive person I know!
Yeah, I'm a very competitive guy myself. I hope my comment about Kriisa not being "Mormon material" didn't come off as judgmental. I'm not Mormon material, either. My reasons are mostly related to Mormonism itself, not the moral code. And actually, though I was going into ministry while I was in college from 1990-95, I would have struggled keeping that Mormon code of conduct. I had a similar, unwritten, code of conduct myself, and still do, and I failed keeping it then and still struggle with some of that today. So, I don't look down on Kriisa at all. I just think that was likely part of the reason Pope never was able to sign him to BYU. I'm glad it has worked out now for them to get together and work together on this team. I'm expecting some good things from Kriisa. :D

He’s definitely a good passer. He’s definitely not a clutch player. Witness Arizona getting bounced as a 1 seed a couple of years ago as he played hero ball and laid brick after brick.

His history has shown that he will make some plays during the course of a game. But when it’s crunch time he won’t come through. Hopefully that changes at UK, but he wouldn’t be one I would count on to come through.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I don't think he starts either but I don't see him getting much less than 20 mpg(he averaged about 33 mpg last year for a weak WVU team).
Yeah, he'll play. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts. I would be surprised if he gets more than 25 minutes per game, though. Pope likes to play a lot of guys, just like Pitino did back in the 90s. The real question will be- who ends the game? I would bet it depends on whether we have a lead or need to catch up. Kriisa would be in if we need scoring. Others would be in if we need to hold a lead and defend.

I am basing off of 2nd hand information but read he is a bit of a defensive liability. Hopefully we have enough good defenders to off set any inadequacies he may have.
I’ve read similarly that Brea is not known for his defensive ability. Hopefully, both can step up and play adequate defense.

He was the second worst defensive PG in 2023-24 among the top 28 PGs in the portal:

First NameLast NameDRtg
FreddieDilione
96.9​
KadaryRichmond
98.6​
KylanBoswell
100.1​
LamontButler, Jr.
100.3​
TreDonaldson
100.5​
AJHoggard
101.1​
DeivonSmith
101.4​
MylesRice
101.6​
MilosUzan
102.6​
GarweyDual
102.8​
PoshAlexander
103​
Ja'KobiGillespie
103.3​
ChuckyHepburn
104.4​
TyreseHunter
104.5​
JordanSears
104.8​
AdenHolloway
105.4​
JavianMcCollum
105.4​
SeanPedulla
105.8​
ElijahHawkins
107.3​
MalikMack
107.4​
JavonSmall
107.5​
JPPegues
108​
TonyPerkins
109.6​
DJWagner
113.6​
JordanPope
114.7​
SkyyClark
114.8​
KerrKriisa
DugMcDaniel
116.4​

He was the second worst defensive PG in 2023-24 among the top 28 PGs in the portal:

First NameLast NameDRtg
FreddieDilione
96.9​
KadaryRichmond
98.6​
KylanBoswell
100.1​
LamontButler, Jr.
TreDonaldson
100.5​
AJHoggard
101.1​
DeivonSmith
101.4​
MylesRice
101.6​
MilosUzan
102.6​
GarweyDual
102.8​
PoshAlexander
103​
Ja'KobiGillespie
103.3​
ChuckyHepburn
104.4​
TyreseHunter
104.5​
JordanSears
104.8​
AdenHolloway
105.4​
JavianMcCollum
105.4​
SeanPedulla
105.8​
ElijahHawkins
107.3​
MalikMack
107.4​
JavonSmall
107.5​
JPPegues
108​
TonyPerkins
109.6​
DJWagner
113.6​
JordanPope
114.7​
SkyyClark
114.8​
KerrKriisa
DugMcDaniel
116.4​
The good news is Lamont Butler was #4.

so Butler is top 4 defensive and Kriisa is 27th. We know who will be in the game at the end from this right here. Lamont will be starting PG. Kerr will get tons of minutes. Playing against each other every day in practice will be key for Kerr getting better. He will get better or realize he will lose minutes.

Reactions: Eight_Banners
so Butler is top 4 defensive and Kriisa is 27th. We know who will be in the game at the end from this right here. Lamont will be starting PG. Kerr will get tons of minutes. Playing against each other every day in practice will be key for Kerr getting better. He will get better or realize he will lose minutes.
Those numbers are strictly portal players.....which is pretty much everyone at this point.

You mean even more of a defensive liability than our entire team was last season?
Statistically speaking, Kriisa's defense last year was worse than everyone on the UK roster in 2023-24, except for Walker Horn, Grant Darbyshire, and Joey Hart.

DJ Wagner was the fourth worst, his DRtg was 113.6. Kriisa's was 116.

I know there are a lot of folks here that watch a lot more film than myself so I was wondering. I know he can pass and shoot but guys that like to trash talk usually take defense seriously; defensive sieves get trash talked to them.
He isn't good defensively.

Good thing they didn't recruit him here for his defense!
heysexy.001.gif

Krissa was on a very bad WVU team last year. I doubt any of the guys on the floor had faith in the other and probably tried to do way to much on D. I wonder if Krissa had just as bad defense numbers at Zona.

If our guys buy into what CMP is selling and with the free spirt style on offense, we could see guys get better on defense.

I believe Butler and Oweh are our starting backcourt and the best defensive duo in the country

Hope not!

That would mean we missed on Lanier and Robinson, because I think Brea is starting for sure.

Would like to see:

Butler
Robinson/Lanier (either one)
Brea
Carr
Williams

Then we go:

Kriisa
Oweh/Perry/Noah
Chandler
Almonor (FDU Transfer on campus right now, averaged 16.5 PPG)
Garrison

Ridiculously deep team.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT