ADVERTISEMENT

How Do we fix our team for rest of season?

ArtLaibsGhost

Junior
Dec 6, 2020
Any old coaches,or young ones for that matter ,on here please advise. Given the personnel and performance you have seen this year what would you do with this team at this point in season going forward. Finally can we leave Cal out of this. I'm not interested in what HE will do,I already know, I'm interested in if the guys on here capable of coaching the sport think we should do to improve

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
Just wait until Kansas passes UK up again in the all-time wins in a few weeks, followed by the pre-Elite Eight tourney bounce, followed by three or four guys who have no business entering the draft suddenly declaring for the draft.

Maybe Cal will unveil a shirt that reads: "Billy, Boogie, Jayden, Karter, Travis, Somto" and spin around to try to convince BBN that we're loaded for next year.

Just wait until Kansas passes UK up again in the all-time wins in a few weeks, followed by the pre-Elite Eight tourney bounce, followed by three or four guys who have no business entering the draft suddenly declaring for the draft.

Maybe Cal will unveil a shirt that reads: "Billy, Boogie, Jayden, Karter, Travis, Somto" and spin around to try to convince BBN that we're loaded for next year.

... wait for it (for sure).

And he will wait until after all of the off-season recruiting hype runs it’s course and everybody leaves next year to ask for sympathy again by saying “We’re just young” as the new team goes back to square one, learning how of play college BB.

Groundhog Day.

Start at the very top and work your way down from there.
Couldn't have said it any better
Defense starts at the top of the key and you work on back to the bigs in the lane. First and foremost DJ, Reed and Rob have got to do a better job of guarding the 3 and staying in front of their man.

Let someone else take over the coaching during the game, and let the clown juggle or do something that clowns do, during the game, especially the end of the half and regulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua
Cal needs to hire the experts here at Rafters they know so much more than he does.
This argument is sooooo 2017. It’s true that many on rafters could teach these players to box out when shots go up, or to fight over screens, or to get low on defense and stay in front of their man.

The difference is that none of us are paid to do this job.

WHAT’S CAL’S EXCUSE?

Win all the games.
Couldn't have said it any better
Defense starts at the top of the key and you work on back to the bigs in the lane. First and foremost DJ, Reed and Rob have got to do a better job of guarding the 3 and staying in front of their man.
I would be happy if they would just stay near their man.

I get the commitment to man defense but while defending out of bounds under the basket zone needs to be implemented.

Far too often UK gives up an uncontested layup or dunk in this scenario. Whether the root cause is not switching properly or checking guys coming off screens something needs to change.

Switching to zone out of bounds would at least limit the easy buckets. Granted teams might occasionally find a soft spot for mid range jumpers or threes but the percentages would be in our favor. Just by simply reducing opponents scoring opportunities in those situations UK would likely have one or two more wins.

It starts with getting rotations set with the best players. We need to get to a solid 8 man rotation using Reed/dilly/wagner/reeves/mitchell/theiro/ugo/Z. Bradshaw at 9 if needed and Edwards or burks at the 10 spot (9 or 10 isn’t playing unless needed for foul trouble).

A bigger must is have to start using multiple defensive sets and mixing things up during the course of the game. Stick with what is working best and if the opponent hits a rhythm of any kind with say 4 positive possession's in a row, change it up for a few possessions then come back to it again. Doesn’t matter if that’s man, zone, matchup zone, 1/3/1, etc, Just don’t stay in the same look all freaking game. Need to hit opponents with more traps on defense as well. Stop having guards sag off in paint to help stop drives, what burned shep against Florida.

Reed/dilly/reeves need to get 20 looks a game from deep. They were 9/20 against Florida. That should win you any game with decent defense and any help your teammates can add. Unfortunately teammates were 1-6.

Back to defense, most of our losses have come because 1 or 2 players on the opposing team had career nights. When that is happening, get the ball out of their hands and force their teammates to step up. Run traps, deny all over the floor. Shep should have been instructed to follow Clayton jr everywhere and do not look to help anywhere. If he goes to take a piss during the game you follow his ass to the locker room (that type of thing).

We have talent, just needs utilized properly and lineups/defense are really the only two things from keeping this team from reaching the heights I know they are capable of.

Face guard shooters, never help off them. Teams are gonna have to hit a fair number of 3s to beat us the way our offense scores most of the time. No more hedging, just stay on shooters and never leave them. That would take scouting which I’m not sure we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT