ADVERTISEMENT

How bad is Iowa's offense?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I couldn't believe the stats against OSU. OSU scored 54 points and only had a 360 yards of offense. Iowa committed 6 TOs and only mustered 158 total yards when you know OSU was playing the end of their bench by midway through the 3rd. OSU had a 33-10 lead in the 3rd quarter with only one drive longer than 24 yards. Iowa's offense is historically bad, evidently. I mean, maybe only Miami had a worse showing on Saturday (8 TOs in a blowout loss to Duke) but this isn't Iowa's only game with a truly awful offensive performance.

Does Ferentz do the honorable thing and resign after a great career there at the end of this year? Surely, his son can't survive as OC any longer, right?

We do not want Ferentz to resign. We want him to either help his son find a job elsewhere or reassign him. An open Iowa job scares me. It’s one job a lot of us can see Stoops being attracted to and I could see them opening up the checkbook to get him there.

Reactions: EliteBlue
We do not want Ferentz to resign. We want him to either help his son find a job elsewhere or reassign him. An open Iowa job scares me. It’s one job a lot of us can see Stoops being attracted to and I could see them opening up the checkbook to get him there.

The plan has been for Ferentz to bring his son alone, grooming him for the job and stepping down and son get promoted to head coach. As bad as their offense is I just can see the plan working because I am pretty sure son is the OC.

I don't know if he would go or not, but Sexton gets him a raise. Not sure how many D1 coaches are at their Alma mater, Kirby, Vandy's coach, not sure of anyone else in SEC. Jury is still out on Vandy's, Kirby has done well, Scott Frost was a disaster.

No way he can justify handing the job to his son…to be honest his son fully deserve to be fired as OC. Unless it is the university of Ferenz …I can’t hardly fathom a scenario his son gets the head gig

The plan has been for Ferentz to bring his son alone, grooming him for the job and stepping down and son get promoted to head coach. As bad as their offense is I just can see the plan working because I am pretty sure son is the OC.

I don't know if he would go or not, but Sexton gets him a raise. Not sure how many D1 coaches are at their Alma mater, Kirby, Vandy's coach, not sure of anyone else in SEC. Jury is still out on Vandy's, Kirby has done well, Scott Frost was a disaster.
I love the game against SDSU where they had 7 points on a field goal and two safeties.

No way he can justify handing the job to his son…to be honest his son fully deserve to be fired as OC. Unless it is the university of Ferenz …I can’t hardly fathom a scenario his son gets the head gig

I can't either, but that was the plan, clearly that can't happen now or people get fired.

Reactions: K_TIME
Brian is Kirk’s son. When Brian was a student on scholarship, he and some other players found a loophole and lived in low income housing. Kirk was making 2 million at the time. Kirk basically said it wasn’t his problem.

Kirk might find Brian an NFL job to move onto, but he’s not going to fire his son. Kirk isn’t going to step down, he has a $36M buyout.

Agree that coaches don’t typically end up at their alma mater but Stoops is one I could see happening. He fits the Iowa culture. His family name is extremely respected by the university and 3 generations played there so it wasn’t just a Johnny come lately connection. He also recruits a lot of B10 territory anyways so even that wouldn’t have to change a ton. It’s the 1 place I could see him leaving for honestly…Maybe FSU bc it’s easier to challenge Clemson and compete for a title there but I don’t think his loyalty runs deep there…at Iowa it does

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT