ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, we're back on the Moon...

transparent-mac-tonight-background-removed-in-photoshop-v0-jxz64f1ld5fb1.png

It's about time to colonize it. There needs to be a permanent base there. Would probably be much easier to have manned missions to other planets by starting them from the moon. There's already resources there to make fuel and to get water. I'm hoping I live to see man set foot on Mars.
Yes it is. And the US needs to put a permanent base there before the Chinese. The Moon needs to be the launch platform to take humans further into space. It's time to move humans beyond our little world...

Reactions: JDHoss and KyCatFan
Yes it is. And the US needs to put a permanent base there before the Chinese. The Moon needs to be the launch platform to take humans further into space. It's time to move humans beyond our little world...
I use to think it would be nice to live like 100 years from now to see the advancements mankind has made. Especially in space travel. Now I'm not even sure there will be a world worth living in by then. Probably headed for self destruction. End up a huge archaeological site for aliens to explore. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: *CatinIL*
Totally agree! A VERY pressing issue we should dump billions in right now is a phaking moon base… 🤦‍♂️. We can’t feed or house people, close our border or stop people from believing every election is the “most important ever” but we should for sure get a moonbase first…

Reactions: Joerules19
It's about time to colonize it. There needs to be a permanent base there. Would probably be much easier to have manned missions to other planets by starting them from the moon. There's already resources there to make fuel and to get water. I'm hoping I live to see man set foot on Mars.
I'll go. Would love measuring effects of drugs and alcohol on lunar subjects.

I use to think it would be nice live like 100 years from now to see the advancements mankind has made. Especially in space travel. Now I'm not even sure there will be a world worth living in by then. Probably headed for self destruction. End up a huge archaeological site for aliens to explore. 😂
It would be. Just image the technological advances humans will have made by then...but like you said, if we don't self destruct.

Reactions: KyCatFan
It was all part of a plot by the evil Space Jews, wasn't it, TB?
the jews would do anything to run the lords name in the dirt. if you dont believe genesis do you believe all the books that follow? Not asking you this in particular because i dont know your faith but to the christians ITT I ask them.

While Im a big fan of space, living on the Moon or Mars would be a miserable experience for the foreseeable future. We can barely survive on Antarctica.

It actually fell over when it landed, so not a real success at all. It was probably designed by some lazy Gen Z.

It would be. Just image the technological advances humans will have made by then...but like you said, if we don't self destruct.
Just look at some of the advances of around the last 100 to 120 years.

Mass produced automobiles.
Airplanes/jets
TV's
Electricity in most homes.
Cell phones
Computers
Space travel
Refrigerators in homes.
Solar power
A number of audio/video/data storage devices.
Microwaves
Internet
3d printers
Digital cameras
Satellites

All of that in a fairly short period of time historically. Imagine what else could be created/invented in the same amount of time.

Just look at some of the advances of around the last 100 to 120 years.

Mass produced automobiles.
Airplanes/jets
TV's
Electricity in most homes.
Cell phones
Computers
Space travel
Refrigerators in homes.
Solar power
A number of audio/video/data storage devices.
Microwaves
Internet
3d printers
Digital cameras
Satellites

All of that in a fairly short period of time historically. Imagine what else could be created/invented in the same amount of time.
And with today's/yesterday's technology. The next 100 years will be crazy IMO.

While Im a big fan of space, living on the Moon or Mars would be a miserable experience for the foreseeable future. We can barely survive on Antarctica.
It will be, but they will be the jumping off point for deeper space travel.

Other than the negative of distance from Earth, I'd rather have some gravity and be able to move around somewhat like normal than be floating around in a space station. That's where we are today still. Being in space for long periods of time can cause issues with your bones and muscles among other things.

Even only at 1/6 the gravity of Earth, it still has to be much better on the body on the Moon than in space. They could also use magnetic boots and wrist weights to increase the pull on your body to help maintain good health. Even wearing all of your gear in Antarctica, you can still die from exposure. As long as there are no catastrophic issues with your spacesuit or with the habitat, your odds might be better on the Moon than Antarctica.

Supposedly 670+ have went into space and only 3 have died in actual space. That's not counting the deaths from launch and reentry. The most dangerous part of space travel right now. It's only like a 2.8% fatality rate overall. That's not bad for something as dangerous as space travel. I read that around 1,000 people have died in Antarctica. Of course that goes back to the 1800's.

Mars would be an even bigger challenge, but the Moon would be a good practice run. It would definitely be nice to beat everyone else there again. The space race helped lead to many new innovations. Maybe that could happen again. Of course, there will always be major risks, but the rewards likely outweigh those risks.

Other than the negative of distance from Earth, I'd rather have some gravity and be able to move around somewhat like normal than be floating around in a space station. That's where we are today still. Being in space for long periods of time can cause issues with your bones and muscles among other things.

Even only at 1/6 the gravity of Earth, it still has to be much better on the body on the Moon than in space. They could also use magnetic boots and wrist weights to increase the pull on your body to help maintain good health. Even wearing all of your gear in Antarctica, you can still die from exposure. As long as there are no catastrophic issues with your spacesuit or with the habitat, your odds might be better on the Moon than Antarctica.

Supposedly 670+ have went into space and only 3 have died in actual space. That's not counting the deaths from launch and reentry. The most dangerous part of space travel right now. It's only like a 2.8% fatality rate overall. That's not bad for something as dangerous as space travel. I read that around 1,000 people have died in Antarctica. Of course that goes back to the 1800's.

Mars would be an even bigger challenge, but the Moon would be a good practice run. It would definitely be nice to beat everyone else there again. The space race helped lead to many new innovations. Maybe that could happen again. Of course, there will always be major risks, but the rewards likely outweigh those risks.
Interesting.

Humans are optimized for an earthly environment. I think the part that’s really more of an unknown is the psychological impact longterm. Brief tours are different than longterm life. Just the simple things like going outside, wearing space suit, shielding from radiation, etc. Day to day life will be a constant grind with 100% dependence on technology to keep alive.

Interesting.

Humans are optimized for an earthly environment. I think the part that’s really more of an unknown is the psychological impact longterm. Brief tours are different than longterm life. Just the simple things like going outside, wearing space suit, shielding from radiation, etc. Day to day life will be a constant grind with 100% dependence on technology to keep alive.
Just think of what it's like to serve on a submarine. The crew can spend up to 4 months underwater I believe. They can survive that, they can handle space I would imagine (at least the mental aspects of it). Besides, from the moon, it's only like 3 days to get home. Serve about 4 to 6 months there and rotate out. As long as there are a number of people with you so you don't feel isolated.

Mars would definitely be a challenge. I'm guessing you have to plan on being gone for close to 2 years if you do go. Probably 6+ months each way and the time on Mars. There's some newer propulsion technology that could shorten the trip to about 45 days each way. That would make things more feasible. Probably would need to come up with some kind of suspended animation system to conserve resources.

With all of the private space travel companies it will speed up advancements. Competition always leads to a leap forward in technology.

Just think of what it's like to serve on a submarine. The crew can spend up to 4 months underwater I believe. They can survive that, they can handle space I would imagine (at least the mental aspects of it). Besides, from the moon, it's only like 3 days to get home. Serve about 4 to 6 months there and rotate out. As long as there are a number of people with you so you don't feel isolated.

Mars would definitely be a challenge. I'm guessing you have to plan on being gone for close to 2 years if you do go. Probably 6+ months each way and the time on Mars. There's some newer propulsion technology that could shorten the trip to about 45 days each way. That would make things more feasible. Probably would need to come up with some kind of suspended animation system to conserve resources.

With all of the private space travel companies it will speed up advancements. Competition always leads to a leap forward in technology.

There's a difference between any excursion on earth and any excursion on space though. Worst case scenario on a submarine -- other than outright death, you can be rescued. If you get cancer, you can feasibly travel away from the submarine. This isn't the case when you have multi-month journeys just to get to a destination and that's even assuming you have the vehicles to actually leave.

Also, longer term, the goal is to not just visit Mars or the moon but live on mars on the moon. The longterm impact on health from gravity to air pressure to radiation are not fully understood. Then what happens with governance in these places? You have an isolated culture cut away from humanity. It's only a matter of time until there's a divergence from earth cultures / governance / ideals.

There's a difference between any excursion on earth and any excursion on space though. Worst case scenario on a submarine -- other than outright death, you can be rescued. If you get cancer, you can feasibly travel away from the submarine. This isn't the case when you have multi-month journeys just to get to a destination and that's even assuming you have the vehicles to actually leave.

Also, longer term, the goal is to not just visit Mars or the moon but live on mars on the moon. The longterm impact on health from gravity to air pressure to radiation are not fully understood. Then what happens with governance in these places? You have an isolated culture cut away from humanity. It's only a matter of time until there's a divergence from earth cultures / governance / ideals.

Good discussion

Being on a submarine is about as close as you can get to space travel while still on Earth. You're trapped in a big metal vehicle with the outside trying to kill you constantly. You're confined for potentially months. If something goes wrong, you likely will die. No one will be able to rescue you in time if something bad happens. If it's wartime, you can't even surface or you risk being destroyed.

That's why we start with the moon. Spend a few years there while studying the effects on people and collecting the Moon's resources. See how things go. If it goes well, you have a launching pad for man to go much further into space. You never know until you try.

People once thought you'd fall off the Earth when sailing to far. The explorers who did try went through major hardships with long term effects on the ocean (diseases, food shortages, storms, etc.). Those that took the chance ended up proving the Earth was round. They found other civilizations. They ended up helping make the world a lot smaller.

Now you're just a handful of hours from crossing the ocean in a plane. You can instantaneously send messages and talk to people around the world. Where would we be without explorers taking a risk to see what was out there. It's the next step of taking a risk and seeing what's out there beyond our own planet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT