ADVERTISEMENT

Hatcher or Ware?

buckkiller

All-American
Nov 6, 2003
Takes on the roll Dupree had last year? Does Hatcher move to Dupree's spot and Ware go where Hatcher played alot last year. Or Ware go right into Duprees spot right out of the gate? Anyone have any insight how they have lined up 1st string defensive line and backers over spring and summer?

Hatcher was playing buds spot per spring practice reports. I think hatch will play more snaps than ware. Ware will be substituted for a cover guy in passing downs I believe.

Interesting I thought after his redshirt year he would come in and see alot of PT. I thought he was a great pass rusher and able to help stop the run.

How is Hatcher doing in that spot? Any word on his progress?

Takes on the roll Dupree had last year? Does Hatcher move to Dupree's spot and Ware go where Hatcher played alot last year. Or Ware go right into Duprees spot right out of the gate? Anyone have any insight how they have lined up 1st string defensive line and backers over spring and summer?

Hopefully quite a bit of both..we'll need to use what will be better overall depth & experience across the board on D to replace the loss

I just don't see it being a huge loss because our D was about as bad as they come last year, even in the pass rush department which should've been the strength of the entire team, yet was one of the weakest points on the whole team

I just think we'll be better because the talent/depth/experience will be better on the whole..it couldn't be much worse, there were some games where we didn't even force a single punt..there's just too much defensive coaching experience on that side of the ball for us to be that terrible..we'll make a big jump up this year because we *have* to and Stoops knows that..I just hope Eliot is able to execute that gameplan because he's the one that's going to spend a lot more time with the D players during the week than Stoops, and Eliot was never anything more than a position coach before he came here, so he definitely shouldn't get off the hook if the D doesn't show major improvement

I must admit that I have had some thoughts that Elliot might be just a Stoops shirttail man. I hope he can grow into the DC job. The good thing is that Stoops has proven to be a very good DC at other venues and can hopefully guide Elliot until he can stand alone.

Reactions: jnewc2
Interesting I thought after his redshirt year he would come in and see alot of PT. I thought he was a great pass rusher and able to help stop the run.

How is Hatcher doing in that spot? Any word on his progress?
2 outside spots in a 3/4. They will play at the same time but ware comes out when we go to nickle.

That could be fun to see them lined up on opposite sides of the line and meeting at the QB. Both were higher rated than Dupree coming out of high school. Hope they play with the same heart he had now that it is their time to shine. If they do, look out.

Reactions: buckkiller
I'm not sold on Hatcher at this level. I know he was committed to USC before he signed with UK. The kid has the tools, I just don't think he has the heart or the consistent motor that Dupree gave you. I've watched Hatcher since Freshman year in High School and have been around his former coaches, their comments told me all I needed to know about him. Hopefully he's matured and will bring it on a consistent basis.

I'm not sold on Hatcher at this level. I know he was committed to USC before he signed with UK. The kid has the tools, I just don't think he has the heart or the consistent motor that Dupree gave you. I've watched Hatcher since Freshman year in High School and have been around his former coaches, their comments told me all I needed to know about him. Hopefully he's matured and will bring it on a consistent basis.

Well, let's face it, if he played at Trinity in Louisville and ended up at UK he can't be too good. LOL

I'm not sure a lot of players have the heart or consistent motor Dupree gave us.

2 outside spots in a 3/4. They will play at the same time but ware comes out when we go to nickle.

That true, but many times those guys are completely different. One is usually a thicker type guy that would likely be a DE in a 4-3 and the other is usually more athletic and a little more slender. In our 3-4, our OLB are the best of the group, sometimes one slides to the DL as an end and we play 2 of the athletic guys, might do it a lot this year with the 3 top guys because they are our best 3 defenders heading into the season. That's the thing with the 3-4, gives you much more flexibility than the old 4-3 alone with being able to deal with all the spreads and receivers. One of those thinner OLB has even lined up in the nickle back position to get all 3 on the field.

Hatcher was making plays in a cast with a broken arm. If you ask me that takes a lot of heart. When a kid is a vastly superior athlete to his peers in high school they can take plays off or not go as hard and get by. That's the case for great athletes in basketball, football, and any sport at the HS level. I played with Michael Bush and he did the same but I doubt you'd question his heart or motor to play at this level. Stoops is a hard ass he wouldn't tolerate half effort and Hatcher would've never saw the field as a true freshman if he was loafing that's for sure

At 6' 4 275 a very much inproved Farington Huguenin will contribute at the D End position.

This looks like a sour grapes post to me. IMO if he had gone to UofL you and your cronies would be touting him as the second coming of the Messiah.

I am not sold that there is any WR on the Dirty Birdies team that can live up to Your first round pick WR Parker.

I do believe your Cards recruited Jason hard! Far as Bud's motor, few do!

Well, let's face it, if he played at Trinity in Louisville and ended up at UK he can't be too good. LOL

I'm not sure a lot of players have the heart or consistent motor Dupree gave us.
BUT...if he had gone to Otis and not UK he would be better than Dupree according to watson, PE and others that frequent here

This looks like a sour grapes post to me. IMO if he had gone to UofL you and your cronies would be touting him as the second coming of the Messiah.

I am not sold that there is any WR on the Dirty Birdies team that can live up to Your first round pick WR Parker.
No sour grapes here. The kid was treated with kid gloves at Trinity. Same goes for his friend Quick. I watched him for four years at Trinity and the last two at UK. I just don't think he has the talent or heart Bud had. JMO.

That true, but many times those guys are completely different. One is usually a thicker type guy that would likely be a DE in a 4-3 and the other is usually more athletic and a little more slender. In our 3-4, our OLB are the best of the group, sometimes one slides to the DL as an end and we play 2 of the athletic guys, might do it a lot this year with the 3 top guys because they are our best 3 defenders heading into the season. That's the thing with the 3-4, gives you much more flexibility than the old 4-3 alone with being able to deal with all the spreads and receivers. One of those thinner OLB has even lined up in the nickle back position to get all 3 on the field.
hatcher is more our every down guy. he will be counted on to cover in space and rush the passer equally just like bud last year. ware (turned down fsu for us) on the other hand is more of a true DE and will drop some in coverage but he will mostly be rushing the passer and playing the run. if we play a pass happy team that requires another "in space" defender, ware will come out and kobie walker would of come in until his injury this spring. not sure who we go to now. we may go smaller and play a true lb'er or a nickle back at that spot the first half of the season until kobie get back 100%. but when we play play uga this year i expect to hear the name jabari johnson a lot. he started to come on late last year as a run stopper and i would expect he and ware will play that olb'er spot a lot that uga game.

hatcher is more our every down guy. he will be counted on to cover in space and rush the passer equally just like bud last year. ware (turned down fsu for us) on the other hand is more of a true DE and will drop some in coverage but he will mostly be rushing the passer and playing the run. if we play a pass happy team that requires another "in space" defender, ware will come out and kobie walker would of come in until his injury this spring. not sure who we go to now. we may go smaller and play a true lb'er or a nickle back at that spot the first half of the season until kobie get back 100%. but when we play play uga this year i expect to hear the name jabari johnson a lot. he started to come on late last year as a run stopper and i would expect he and ware will play that olb'er spot a lot that uga game.

yes, Jabari is a beast and laid the wood last season. He will be good this season.

No sour grapes here. The kid was treated with kid gloves at Trinity. Same goes for his friend Quick. I watched him for four years at Trinity and the last two at UK. I just don't think he has the talent or heart Bud had. JMO.

Bud was listed as a tight end coming out of HS and was converted to DE. Bud had a lot of strength/weight to gain before he made an impact on the field. You can't compare a senior 1st rounder to a sophomore. Bud didnt really come into his own until he was a junior. Come back and talk to us about Hatcher after the season after he took Radcliff to the woodshed

Last edited:
Bud was listed as a tight end coming out of HS and was converted to DE. Bud had a lot of strength/weight to gain before he made an impact on the field. You can't compare a senior 1st rounder to a sophomore. Bud didnt really come into his own until he was a junior. Come back and talk to us about Hatcher after the season after he took Radcliff to the woodshed
Will do.

No particular player inherits Dupree's entire role. Dupree was the leader of last year's defense. Josh Forrest will be the leader of our 2015 defense. Our defense has been in a year on year transition from 4-3 to hybrid to ultimately more of a 3-4 look. This was smart because Coach knows it takes the right roster, so he has recruited for this transition. Dupree himself transitioned at Kentucky from a defensive end to an outside linebacker. Dupree's most important role was as Kentucky's sack leader, because he put pressure on quarterbacks that helped to cover up shortcomings in our secondary. Stoops is building our defense to put more pressure on quarterbacks, but pressure must come from multiple players. Once our defense becomes a competitive SEC defense, Stoops won't need 1 pass rusher as dominant as Dupree because he will have 4-5 effective SEC pass rushers. To get back to the question posed in the thread, Hatcher is a junior now and Stoops needs him to take a big step forward. Hatcher was a highly recruited player that Southern Cal wanted, so it is time for the performance to match the talent. But Ware, Henderson, Johnson, Walker, Bell, Huguenin also have to be effective. Maybe Kengera Daniel if he is ready. Good SEC defenses must have the quality depth as well as the star names.

Last edited:
Hatcher plays one end and Ware plays the other.

What am I missing?
Dupree seemed more of the hybrid DE and LB last year and figured Ware or Hatcher would take up that spot or toll defensively. I could See Kengra come in and play that part as the previous poster said. That being said Hatcher needs a big year and I think he produces.

Dupree seemed more of the hybrid DE and LB last year and figured Ware or Hatcher would take up that spot or toll defensively. I could See Kengra come in and play that part as the previous poster said. That being said Hatcher needs a big year and I think he produces.
I continue to think Hatcher is over rated. This is not sour grapes because he didn't go to UofL, I just don't think he has the passion to get it done on a consistent basis especially against SEC talent.

This is what's interesting to me about the coming season: Last year, Hatcher went out for the nickel package, but what happens now?

I could see various things. It all depends on player development since last season. Ware and Hatcher in for pass-rushing. Huguenin and Hatcher in for pass rushing. Or all three with the nose tackle subbed out for the nickel this year.

The last two seasons have been clear: Bud and Z will definitely be on the field for third down. This season brings new personnel and with them inevitable changes.

Reactions: RV2
This is what's interesting to me about the coming season: Last year, Hatcher went out for the nickel package, but what happens now?

I could see various things. It all depends on player development since last season. Ware and Hatcher in for pass-rushing. Huguenin and Hatcher in for pass rushing. Or all three with the nose tackle subbed out for the nickel this year.

The last two seasons have been clear: Bud and Z will definitely be on the field for third down. This season brings new personnel and with them inevitable changes.
That's what makes new seasons so exciting. There's always somebody that steps up. I just don't think Hatcher is that guy.

Hatcher plays one end and Ware plays the other.

What am I missing?
What you are missing is that Hatcher and Ware are both outside linebackers in the 3-4 defense. Based on the depth chart following spring drills, the 3 starting defensive linemen are seniors CJ Johnson, Melvin Lewis, and Farrington Hugenin.

I continue to think Hatcher is over rated. This is not sour grapes because he didn't go to UofL, I just don't think he has the passion to get it done on a consistent basis especially against SEC talent.
LOL! How transparent can you possibly be? Why would we be interested in what you think about our players? Let's see if you care to review your opinions with us on November 29.

Yep! Watson comes on here and tries to ram his agenda down our UK throats. He keeps yapping the same thing over and over like a damned parrot! Lol, OK! We get it! You detest Hatcher, so, there's no denying it.

I do understand what you're saying, because he hasn't completely lived up to his potential just yet (some on here forget that 4-star HS player doesn't mean 4-star college player) but at the same time he's still really young, and defensive linemen and linebackers don't really come into their own in the SEC until their JR & SR seasons many times.

I've talked to a guy that played w/ Hatcher at Trinity and he had said some of the same things you said about Hatcher's motor, but then again, this guy is a Louisville fan, so I take everything he says w/ a grain of salt (and like someone else said, at the HS level, those ultra-talented guys probably take some plays off because they can just rely on their talent and coast most of the time).

I think Hatcher's going to turn out to be a really good player overall once he's a senior..maybe we'll see him turn the corner this year, who knows..it's just too early to judge him and say he's a bust or overrated. It's kind of like the Micah Johnson deal..these ratings don't always equal automatic success & some guys develop a little slower (especially at a position like LB where it's REALLY hard to come in and be a consistent force as an underclassmen) LB is like the QB of the defense..it's a really hard position to play and not for the faint of heart, mentally or physically. In football development so much of it's about how hard you're willing to work. Everyone ripped Micah Johnson because the expectations were so high for him, and he didn't really come into his own until he was a senior..but by that time he was a really, really good inside LB at the college level. People's expectations just effect their judgment of players so many times.

It's still so early for Hatcher, it's hard for me to judge him just yet..I think we'll see him take a big step forward this year and become a pivotal player for the defense..but if he doesn't, he'll definitely be one of the more disappointing recruits in Stoops' tenure.

Stars don't always equal success. Football is a very mental game, and some guys just don't have that competitive edge. I'd say 7 or 8 out of 10 four-star guys live up to their billing, but who knows if Hatcher's going to be the one of those 7 or 8..it's still early and he's still developing. I do know that it'll help his development being around a defensive coach like Stoops and Buh.

Reactions: mwatson61
Guys this defense is kind of weird, they are running 2 jacks in the lineup, so both OLBs are hybrid types. So Ware and Hatcher both will start. When they go Nickel Ware will come out. However if he proves to be a better pass rusher (which some may think he could be) then he'll stay in.

UK fans pay no heed to Watsons evaluation of Hatcher. He and most of UofLs fans still have a big butt hurt because he spurned UofL for the Cats. If he had gone to UofL he would be the next football Messiah.

It remains to be seen if Hatcher will realize the considerable potential that he showed in high school at the peak of the college level in the SEC but what Watson or any other UofL fans thinks and spout off about him on the UK board is just butt hurt fluff.

Reactions: brianpoe
UK fans pay no heed to Watsons evaluation of Hatcher. He and most of UofLs fans still have a big butt hurt because he spurned UofL for the Cats. If he had gone to UofL he would be the next football Messiah.

It remains to be seen if Hatcher will realize the considerable potential that he showed in high school at the peak of the college level in the SEC but what Watson or any other UofL fans thinks and spout off about him on the UK board is just butt hurt fluff.
Not the case but think what you want. I'm just not a fan of Hatcher or Quick for that matter. The BS they got away with in high school was enough for me.

Not the case but think what you want. I'm just not a fan of Hatcher or Quick for that matter. The BS they got away with in high school was enough for me.

How many times you going to post this crap in one thread?

And with your last sentence...

"The BS they got away with in high school was enough for me"

Shows me all I need to know about your credibility. High School? Seriously?

How they were treated in high school? WTF?

Stop making yourself look dumb man.

LOL! How transparent can you possibly be? Why would we be interested in what you think about our players? Let's see if you care to review your opinions with us on November 29.

He won't last that long on this board. He's close to getting the ban hammer right now. You and I both know he would disappear anyways after we wax that azz this season.

He was one of the UofL fans involved in the mass banning of UofL fans that happened when they came over here with their BS after they won the Basketball NC. I agree he is a banning waiting to happen.

I hope however that the mods keep him around because his post are usually good for a few good laughs.

Guys this defense is kind of weird, they are running 2 jacks in the lineup, so both OLBs are hybrid types. So Ware and Hatcher both will start. When they go Nickel Ware will come out. However if he proves to be a better pass rusher (which some may think he could be) then he'll stay in.

Ware wouldn't necessarily come out. If on third down you have Johnson at one tackle spot and Elam(or whatever two defensive tackles inside) at the other then you could bring Ware and Hatcher both off the edge, with Forrest and Flanigan dropping back in coverage with the four defensive backs and our nickel in as well. Seems to me you would want your best outside rushers one on one with slower tackles rather than try Hatcher on one side with a slower pass rusher at the other.

Stoops did run some 3,4 at Zona and it looked like a 5 man line with the 2 olber only a yard off the line. It worked against Oregon well cause they didn't try to be fancy with it. They brought 5 or 6 every time just didn't give them time to do anything through the air.

I could see them doing something like that against msu, uga, and missouri... with uga being more of run blitz. But part of the benefit of the 3-4 is that you can bring 4 but change who and where they come from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT