ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

The zipper method is one of those "great in theory, meh in practice" concepts. It makes the faulty assumption that a large group of people that are already being inconvenienced with a traffic delay and have followed the signage (merge left, merge right, lane ends, etc) are all going to give up the right of way of the lane they're already in to those that are perceived to be cutting line in an orderly fashion. It's just not realistic. We can't even get the McDonald's 2 lane drive thru merge down without honking/anger/etc... we definitely can't do it on an interstate.

The zipper method is one of those "great in theory, meh in practice" concepts. It makes the faulty assumption that a large group of people that are already being inconvenienced with a traffic delay and have followed the signage (merge left, merge right, lane ends, etc) are all going to give up the right of way of the lane they're already in to those that are perceived to be cutting line in an orderly fashion. It's just not realistic. We can't even get the McDonald's 2 lane drive thru merge down without honking/anger/etc... we definitely can't do it on an interstate.
Sounds like you suck at driving.

When we lose the "all about me/I'm more important than you" mentality, then things run in a more orderly fashion.

Way to be a dick and slow everyone down while increasing vehicle accidents and presumably deaths.

The problem is, that rude driver is right and you're wrong. That's not just an opinion. Research has shown that in heavy traffic, things go better when drivers in a lane that's ending drive to the end of that lane and then take turns, or zipper merge, with the drivers in the through lane. Traffic overall flows much more quickly and everyone gets where they're going sooner. Not only that, there are fewer accidents.

Just keep your ass real far right.

I fully agree it's the best way to merge in those scenarios in theory... but i have zero faith that anything more than a small percentage of the population are going to actually do it.

Sounds like you suck at reading.

Reactions: cole854
I do enjoy when semi trucks decide to end the zipper merge and just take both lanes. Heroes
I went around a semi in the emergency lane one time and he nearly went off the edge of the interstate trying to wreck me. I got around though.

Reactions: Mossip
- Kook’s right - do whatever TF you want … BUT make sure to give the wave and its all good.

- Yeah time definitely goes by faster with kids. Like I just thought my daughters school year started and today’s her last day. 🤷🏻‍♂️

- Always find it amusing when a band/celeb/broadcaster has a bit of an adversarial relationship with their own fanbase - Jim Rome, Jimmy Eat World, John Calipari.

- Sports podcasters - nobody GAF about your weekend or profession. Talk sports. That’s it.

- Sad how much comedies like Old School, Judd Apatow and Vacation movies ring true these days. 😂 Some of that shit is dead on for married dad.

- Ruby’s tomorrow- first time in the new Fountain Square location. As someone who doesn’t guzzle steak weekly, I’m excited. Daddy-daughter day Friday- probably the Zoo and some Skyline for lunch. Maybe swing by a toy store.

That sorority dance was an annual thing at Sigma Chi Derby Days back in the 90’s/early aughts. By multiple sororities (though ADPi’s indeed were usually some of the rowdiest).

IFC/Panhellenic have ruined college Greek life.

I went around a semi in the emergency lane one time and he nearly went off the edge of the interstate trying to wreck me. I got around though.

200w.gif

SHORTS
- Late, but that Sierra Leone/Mystic Dan headbob went from me winning $250 to a couple grand (WPS, Ex, Tri and two Daily Doubles). I will STILL be betting SL in 2 1/2 weeks.

- Sitting listening to a huge playlist of 80s songs, I came to the conclusion that the two that really always brings me back to childhood memories while they were being played:

"Every Time You Go" - Paul Young
"Valerie" - Steve Windwood

Songs that were just always playing at the perfect time for a pre-teen MattsCats.

- Speaking of memories where those songs would always seem to be played, worshiped this Saturday when our mom would take us out:

* K-Mart shopping (can still remember buying, arguably, the best baseball game ever: Baseball Stars). Was always able to con mom into some sort of toy/electronic.
* Lunch at Fred's pizza around noon
* Catching the early movie at Wheelersburg Cinema
* Hitting up the batting cages/putt-putt afterwards
* Finish the night off with the Skatelan and endless quarters in video games

You could switch out Fred's Pizza with 80's Pizza Hut and filling up the jukebox and Pac-Man.

- I swear every time I look up at a blue sky with clouds, I see one that looks like the state of Kentucky.

- Laff-A-Lympics is still one of the most underrated cartoon series of all-time. Scooby-Doobys for the win.

- Never really had a true dog as a pet earlier in life, but now with the new lass, I've fallen hard for the little one she has. Dude never leaves your ankles, is perfectly mannered and just looks at you like you are the most important person in their lives (it's true).

- Hate to wish summer away, but I am so ready for UK football and to see what Pope has up his sleeves. I just know the Big Blue Madness is going to be epic.

At the Polynesian pool and see a man wearing long sleeve hockey jersey. He proceeds to take it off. Only to have an Orlando Magic one on under it. That’s a first. Hopefully, that’s not Ron Mexico.

The Uber Eats total can be ridiculous. Then I think to myself is my time worth $20? To go pick it up and the wear and tear on my vehicle. Time is the most valuable commodity.

-Pope better be right in his thinking that a bidding war is not the answer for the top talent. I’m sick of it after the past five years and hope he’s right.

-Brady is heading to UK football camp in June. Should be a fun semester for him. Jealous!

-Goodwin was promised 300k from Florida if I remember correctly. I’d bet $ he got zero. NIL is typically agents pitting schools against each other to find the most desperate school/booster to match or beat an imaginary number in most cases.

Highways aren’t lines. People, along with you, are allowed to pass other cars at any point if there is a lane open.
Traffic moving, absolutely.

Traffic not moving, FALSE, DIAF and get pumped.

Zippering is fine, but the people in front of me will appreciate it if you zipper until your heart's content behind me.

Last edited:
If you and the people in front of you weren't idiots incapable of using all the open lanes available to their extent you wouldn't have to worry about people passing.

I bet if there's 2 sides to a buffet and people are just using 1 side you're waddling to the open side to get your food.

Ask your wife why she thinks it’s more efficient to get over a mile up the road from the construction blocking a lane than right before it. I’d love to hear that explanation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT