ADVERTISEMENT

Guard play will determine who wins the game against Kansas

Jul 23, 2002
Ulis, Briscoe & Murray vs. Mason, Graham & Selden will determine who wins the game on saturday. Mason will have his hands full with Ulis. I watched Morris from Iowa St get busy on him and I expect Tyler to do the same. Any thoughts on this.

I think just the opposite. If we don't have some people show up in front court it will be a long night.

Ah, I dunno. Perry Ellis struggles with athleticism, and because of it, Poythress had a field day on him last year. Poy was made to defend Ellis. Outside of Ellis, Kansas' frontcourt doesn't produce much of anything.
Briscoe will have to make sure that Selden doesn't go off, and Murray and Ulis have to do their thing. If they do, and if the team defends like it has the past couple of games, I'm confident that Kentucky can walk away with a win, but it will have to be under those circumstances.
No shootouts with Kansas, no open shots, have to rebound the ball well and play good defense.

I'll go one further and say that our guard play will determine the winner of pretty much every game for the rest of the season. If Ulis & Murray aren't clicking, I don't like our chances vs. just about anybody.

If you read the complaints from KU fans, their guards can't stay in front of anyone. If they can't stay in front of Ulis, Murray and Briscoe, we are going to drive to the rim and/or kick it out for an open 3. I'm beginning to believe KU is in a lot of trouble in this one. Really bad matchups for them.

I agree about Kansas guards not being able to stay in front of the other teams guards. Morris from Iowa St and the guards from Oklahoma were driving right pass them easy. Right now the only frontcourt player on Kansas who is consistent is Perry Ellis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT