ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Guitar Intros...

Maybe only exceeded by this (one of only two songs I like on this otherwise shit heap of an album)

When I was in the Air Force, attending Language School in Monterey, this song got me 4 straight Saturdays of mowing and weedeating, because a highly inebriated Clown got back to the dorm/barracks at about 3:00 am on a Sunday morning, and put this song on his kickass stereo, backed by a 350 watts per channel amplifier, pusching what were then, state of the art Cerwin Vega speakers (with 15 inch woofers) , and turning it up to 11...

I thought the "on duty" staff sergeant was going to have a goddamn stroke, when he showed up at my door, about 2 mintues later. I woke up the entire wing, all three floors. LOL

Last edited:
The song suffered from overexposure, but it's hard to beat "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" for a riff that grabs your attention right off the bat. As do several other Stones songs, such as "Brown Sugar." And when I hear Elliott Randall's opening riff on Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years," I know good things are bound to follow. Another intro that grabs me is the immortal Steve Cropper's intro in Sam and Dave's "Soul Man."

Someone above listed Thunderstruck and it is high on my list, it is also one of the best concert openers as well, the start to Donnington with hundreds of thousands jumping and Angus playing that intro into the setting sun is concert magic.

Metallica, AC/DC, Skynyrd, Megadeath, GNR, Zepplin, & Pink Floyd have too many to name.

Some of my favorite guitar intros to songs are:
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast & the Harlot
Slayer - Raining. Blood
Dragon Force - Through the Fire & Flames
Coheed & Cambria - Welcome Home
Blink182 - Dammit & What’s My Age Again
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit & Come as You Are
Lustra - Scotty Doesn’t Know
SR-71 - Right Now
My Chemical Romance - I’m not okay

Last edited:
The irony here, is that the intro, while great, is child's play, compared to the rest of track. You could easily make the case, that Lee was levels better than ANY guitar player that has been mentioned in this thread. Genuinely supernatural ability on his instrument, and I highly doubt that even 10 percent of people that are under 50 have ever even heard of him. that second break doesn't even seem real.

Last edited:
^^^Anyone who loves 60's, 70's classic rock, and then 80's country rock for example, knows of Lee. He's a great one, unique style, maybe not as "rock diverse" as others.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Love me some Rush. Probably the best 3 man band ever. Peart one of the best drummers ever. Geddy a killer bass player and Lifeson's shreddin'. They were called "nerd rock" back in my day. Guess I was a nerd then.

Triumph was pretty good too. But Rush is my all time favorite.

Killing Floor -- American Flag

Mike Bloomfield had 2 things going for him. The prettiest tone around and nobody outside of jazz played with the time the way that he did. On the beat. Behind the beat. Ahead of the beat. Staccato. Legato. He had it all.

Dust My Broom -- Elmore James

Everybody's first blues lick.

Do the Do -- Howlin Wolf

My favorite Clapton. Snaky.

Train Kept a Rollin' -- The Yardbirds

What trains were invented for.

T-Bone Shuffle -- T-Bone Walker

Often imitated, never equaled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT