ADVERTISEMENT

Great Vandagriff interview/article

JHB4UK

All-American
May 29, 2001

The protein shake came after finishing some winter conditioning, wherein Vandagriff had something on his mind when he saw his training metrics tracked by Catapult. Or rather, Vandagriff had someone on his mind.

“What did Levis hit?” he asked the UK staff.

The protein shake came after finishing some winter conditioning, wherein Vandagriff had something on his mind when he saw his training metrics tracked by Catapult. Or rather, Vandagriff had someone on his mind.

“What did Levis hit?” he asked the UK staff.
The man won me over with these magic words . . .

I’m not just gonna stare at it and try to throw a 50-50 ball. I’m gonna try to get there and move the chains, not take any crazy hits,” he said. “If it’s 3rd down or I’m trying to get a touchdown, maybe try to get an extra yard or two, but just moving the chains is a big deal and whatever’s the best way to do that … it’s just playing the game, moving the ball, however that looks like.”

I think QB's and teams waste more down trying to force things out of the pocket when is not there. I have to think the positive success rate of staying in the pocket after your first two reads is so low. Love when guys check those and then when its not there take the heck off and make a play. Thats when defenses are at their most vulneable and good athletic QBs can make tons of plays to keep drives alive as he says. I hope this becomes reality this year and not just talk. I know he and others like to talk about the risk of injuries to runnin QBs but i think they risk is much higher standing vulnerable in a pocket rather than running where you can see whats coming at your and bracing for it or avoiding it by getting down or out of bounds.

I’m not just gonna stare at it and try to throw a 50-50 ball. I’m gonna try to get there and move the chains, not take any crazy hits,” he said. “If it’s 3rd down or I’m trying to get a touchdown, maybe try to get an extra yard or two, but just moving the chains is a big deal and whatever’s the best way to do that … it’s just playing the game, moving the ball, however that looks like.”

I think QB's and teams waste more down trying to force things out of the pocket when is not there. I have to think the positive success rate of staying in the pocket after your first two reads is so low. Love when guys check those and then when its not there take the heck off and make a play. Thats when defenses are at their most vulneable and good athletic QBs can make tons of plays to keep drives alive as he says. I hope this becomes reality this year and not just talk. I know he and others like to talk about the risk of injuries to runnin QBs but i think they risk is much higher standing vulnerable in a pocket rather than running where you can see whats coming at your and bracing for it or avoiding it by getting down or out of bounds.
Exactly…deep shots where your Wr isn’t behind the D…is not smart unless is third and long and that is the only one on one

I haven't seen Vandagriff play yet, but it isn't going to take a lot for there to be improvement. Leary left a lot of easy completions on the field throughout the season, and he missed a lot of wide open receivers.

Having a QB focused on moving the chains first and foremost is a recipe for success with our style of play. If you move the chains consistently, the down field shots will be there when you read the right coverage and dial those plays up.

Yeah unless you have a year like Cam Newton.....the NFL ain't drafting a QB with only 1 yr, 12 or 13 games starting CFB resume.

Vandagriff is pretty obvious in wanting to duplicate the Will Levis career plan, hope he has the same sucess

Saw a football magazine rank UK's qb room as 14th best in SEC. I guess we won't have to worry about overhype this year. I expect him to be better than that though. LOL.

Heading into the season as an untested QB I can see several returning starters ranked ahead of him and feel that is justified. But who is QB at AU, Carolina, Vandy, State or ATM? UF is returning a starter from a 5 win team, does he deserved to be ranked top 10? But I can see why the Bama QB, Dart at OM, Ewers at Texas, Beck at UGA and the Missouri QB would be ranked higher. Hard to rank first year starters and a little unfair.

Saw a football magazine rank UK's qb room as 14th best in SEC. I guess we won't have to worry about overhype this year. I expect him to be better than that though. LOL.
Magazines, bloggers, youtubers have to have something to write or talk about this time of year and most want you to believe they know things. In reality nobody knows much of anything right now, football seasons are always full of surprises and conveniently forgotten preseason predictions.

There are so many times a QB can play it safe and run for the first down himself. Lot of QB's reluctant to do that. Drives me crazy to see a bunch of open field and the QB still takes a chance passing the ball.

Those mags ALWAYS underrate UK. Just more bulletin board material. We need to get that chip back on our shoulders and keep it there.

Vandagriff & Beau Allen enter 2024 with precious few snaps while in backup rolls of SEC football. I don't have a problem with websites or magazines saying right now going into 2024 the UK QB room is one of the lowest ranked in the SEC. Pretty fair assessment.

It is up to Vandagriff and Hamden to come out and out perform expectations. Got to got to got to beat South Carolina week 2. Hard to see us losing to them again and the season turns out successful.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Vandagriff & Beau Allen enter 2024 with precious few snaps while in backup rolls of SEC football. I don't have a problem with websites or magazines saying right now going into 2024 the UK QB room is one of the lowest ranked in the SEC. Pretty fair assessment.

It is up to Vandagriff and Hamden to come out and out perform expectations. Got to got to got to beat South Carolina week 2. Hard to see us losing to them again and the season turns out successful.
Low...OK. 14th? Vandy, SCAR, UF, Arky, Auburn (until they buy another Cam), Ms ST... dang 10 or 11 would be nice. LOL.

Similarly, SDS who wrote that article, rated the SEC OC top 10 on their podcast and our new OC didn't make the cut.

Reactions: hmt5000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT