ADVERTISEMENT

Good leadership requires soul-searching introspection. Does Cal possess this?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I'm not sure Calipari has ever gone through a stage in his Kentucky career where he's truly done some self-assessment, not the type that comes from humility.

We know that in the lives of Lincoln, Washington, Churchill, and even people like the Apostle Paul and Augustine, there was a serious time of introspection and get-wrenching humility that stemmed from honest introspection, and ultimately led to purposeful change.

It's an absolute necessity for good leadership.

Has Calipari ever had that moment while he's been here?

I'm not sure Calipari has ever gone through a stage in his Kentucky career where he's truly done some self-assessment, not the type that comes from humility.

We know that in the lives of Lincoln, Washington, Churchill, and even people like the Apostle Paul and Augustine, there was a serious time of introspection and get-wrenching humility that stemmed from honest introspection, and ultimately led to purposeful change.

Yes. He is all about servent leadership.

He teaches that constantly to the players.

UK is very fortunate to have such a coach.

Stevie Wonder can see it too. But Stevie is not willfully blind.

I think this is the real disconnect.

Cal sees it as he is doing his job and is doing a great job, because his job is molding these kids into good men.

He is focusing on preparing them for life, which he does a very good job of.

Of course, most fans disagree with Cal about what his job is. They think it’s all about X’s and O’s and winning.

So I guess it depends on what you believe his job is.

I believe he was hired to win ball games and lead us to titles. If he can’t do that, he isn’t doing his job.

I commend him for helping these kids become better human beings, but he was hired to win games, not change lives. If he can do both, that’s great. He should be able to. But the focus has to be on being a basketball coach. That is his job.

That may have been true maybe 11-13 years ago. Cal used to be a leader, both on and off the court.

He still leads in someways, but his leadership on the court is very very much in question

Your last line is ironic as heck. Can you not see the diminishing returns?

That may have been true maybe 11-13 years ago. Cal used to be a leader, both on and off the court.

He still leads in someways, but his leadership on the court is very very much in question

Your last line is ironic as heck. Can you not see the diminishing returns?

Other poster isn't a UK fan. I truly believe all these accounts are trolls messing with UK fans. No intelligent UK fan could be happy with state if our program.

Hell, if you put a gun to john caliparis head he would admit the same. He can't admit it in the open but he knows he hasn't do e a good job the past 3 years especially.

This thread reminds me of one of his RIDICULOUS comebacks that he used to say when things were rolling, but not much anymore: " I remember being wrong once, I think it was in 1980 something".

His arrogance knows NO BOUNDS!!! It was tolerable when we were winning big, but now it just shows how narcissistic he is.

So, to answer your question, NO, I do NOT believe Cal can show ANY "introspection" on ANYTHING he does as a coach.

SAD

I think you know the answer is NO!!

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

E6wVtrF.png

I think this is the real disconnect.

Cal sees it as he is doing his job and is doing a great job, because his job is molding these kids into good men.

He is focusing on preparing them for life, which he does a very good job of.

Of course, most fans disagree with Cal about what his job is. They think it’s all about X’s and O’s and winning.

So I guess it depends on what you believe his job is.

I believe he was hired to win ball games and lead us to titles. If he can’t do that, he isn’t doing his job.

I commend him for helping these kids become better human beings, but he was hired to win games, not change lives. If he can do both, that’s great. He should be able to. But the focus has to be on being a basketball coach. That is his job.
I agree actually.

Cal is all about players first. He says it and he lives it.

I would prefer he be program first.

But he is not. He is doing exactly what he says he will do.

He’s never lied to fans. He is what he says he is.

And he is great at what he does. And he is confident in his own skin.

If UK wants different they should hire different.

I’m ready for a program first coach even if he is not as good as Cal.

It’s not my decision though.

So I will pull for Cal as hard as I can.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I agree actually.

Cal is all about players first. He says it and he lives it.

I would prefer he be program first.

But he is not. He is doing exactly what he says he will do.

He’s never lied to fans. He is what he says he is.

And he is great at what he does. And he is confident in his own skin.

If UK wants different they should hire different.

I’m ready for a program first coach even if he is not as good as Cal.

It’s not my decision though.

So I will pull for Cal as hard as I can.
I am right there with you.

But I can understand why other posters complain.

I just can’t waste my time doing it when it does absolutely no good.

Other poster isn't a UK fan. I truly believe all these accounts are trolls messing with UK fans. No intelligent UK fan could be happy with state if our program.

Hell, if you put a gun to john caliparis head he would admit the same. He can't admit it in the open but he knows he hasn't do e a good job the past 3 years especially.

100%. Look at the name? Join date? Post History? There’s several of them. There are even some on HoB. It’s strange.

I believe he actually wants out of this job at this point. So analyzing it from the angle of the OP doesn't work.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Off topic I know, but when have we had a president that fit that "necessity for good leadership?" And why don't we elect one like that??

He is a narcissist.

He is incapable of self-reflection that would be critical of him being wrong in what he has done with the program.

You can win big time and recruit good kids and students that graduate and win. You can help them have the opportunity to be successful in life.

You can have them win basketball games and make deep runs in the NCAA tournament. That is job one.

Signed,
Adolph, Joe B., Rick, and Tubby

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT