ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

I said B because a pro could clean up mistakes on a drive and get me closer to the pin on approach shots. The distance of the drive and 3 woods is appealing, but a pro being able to get a shot 170 and in and getting it to stop on the green with a short iron versus my short iron is no contest.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Depending on hole, if an errant driver like myself, could just tee off with a safe shot using 7-iron, knowing the pro can still get you close when 200-250 away.

Anyone who doesn't say C thinks more highly of your game than you probably should. Pro's will shave several strokes over average golfers with short game alone.
Disagree.....If I hit a bomb it might go 250. Probably usually in the 220-240 range. If you don't think a pro hitting it probably 100 yards closer to the green is a bigger help than chipping, I don't know what to tell to you.

I miss a ton of greens, and therefore I am chipping a lot. Really one of my strengths. Sure, a pro will chip it and putt it to a gimme, but I am not hitting it out of bounds or in the water chipping or putting. LOL

Reactions: fatguy87
Disagree.....If I hit a bomb it might go 250. Probably usually in the 220-240 range. If you don't think a pro hitting it probably 100 yards closer to the green is a bigger help than chipping, I don't know what to tell to you.

I miss a ton of greens, and therefore I am chipping a lot. Really one of my strengths. Sure, a pro will chip it and putt it to a gimme, but I am not hitting it out of bounds or in the water chipping or putting. LOL
Have you ever watched a pro hit it into the woods, another fairway, fairway bunker or the deep rough? Are you going to save par from the places they do?

Sounds like some of you guys need to just work on that driver and hit the tour since your short game is on par, no pun intended, with the pro's. 😂

A or C is the only choice. I am sort of in your camp, about the same length as you. Especially from the back tees, it wouldn't matter what a pro did for me on or near the green, on a long par four, I might still be 80 yards out after two shots, unless the pro is phenomenal, going to make a lot of bogeys from there. OTOH, if the pro is on or real close to a par five green in two, I like my chances to make no worse than a 5, will get it up and down for a birdie at least some of the time as well.

Reactions: Catman100
Have you ever watched a pro hit it into the woods, another fairway, fairway bunker or the deep rough? Are you going to save par from the places they do?
Bro swing by the Kentucky Open in a few months. Those fellas don't hit it in the woods very often. Definitely not as much as I do.

Give me a 125-150 yard smooth swing from a fairway over a 200 yard swing out of my shoes 4 iron any day of the week.

Sounds like some of you guys need to just work on that driver and hit the tour since your short game is on par, no pun intended, with the pro's. 😂
Sounds like some of you need to work on short game so you can then join the tour since your long game is so consistent.

If you can’t figure out that penalty strokes can kill a score, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Putting and chipping, but especially putting is the easiest part of the game. Putting isn’t mechanics or flexibility or strength or form, it’s simply practice and confidence and feel.

Is my short game as good as a pro’s ? Hell no. But my irons are more worse (but manageable, and would be even better if didn’t have to use long irons so often), and my driver and woods simply suck. And don’t you think I’ve tried to fix them? I’ve taken lessons. That’s the hardest part of the game. But I can’t make my body not do an outside-in swing path. Slice, pull-hook, slice, pull-hook.

I just think it’s simple-minded to think what may apply to you (that your short game needs work, and it’s easy to improve your swing), applies to everyone.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Putting and chipping, but especially putting is the easiest part of the game. Putting isn’t mechanics or flexibility or strength or form, it’s simply practice and confidence and feel.

Putting and chipping yips, especially putting, have ruined careers of many pro's....even those who went from winning a major to not being able to make a 3 footer.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Putting and chipping yips, especially putting, have ruined careers of many pro's....even those who went from winning a major to not being able to make a 3 footer.
It’s so easy to learn that I have 2 friends who are not on the tour now because of it. These guys can stripe the ball anytime they want but get them on a green and it turns into an ish fest for guys at that level yet on my best day I cannot execute even close to the level of short game those guys can. Give me just 1/2 of their short game ability and I am likely a scratch player.

I always laugh at these hypotheticals. You have to make 2 not shitty golf swings to get near the green in 2. Then the precision comes into play.
I played in a tournament years ago, shot around 80 in the hardest way possible, hit it all over the place, and had to get it up and down all day long. After the round, one of the guys in my foursome pulled me aside and gave me some solid advice: "You need to work on your long game to get it to the point where your short game matters". Over time, I found that to be very true, in my case at least.

It should be noted, the majority of courses I play, and probably you, are not greens anywhere near pro players play on. Save a few exclusive courses, most of the greens will be friendlier to any approach shot they see on tour. Most of these guys can go pin seeking when I would be hitting a long iron. You won't see shots run away from flag off the green.

And an in ability to hit a drive in bounds prevents players from even becoming a pro.

Putting and chipping are vitally important. Especially to pro's, ALL of who can consistently be in or near the fairway and then on or near the green.

But for some (not all) of us who are FAR from being as good as a pro, the biggest difference in us and a pro are those first 2 shots. I'm an 18 handicap, have a friend that played in college and is a 3-4 handicap. And he will tell you that my short game is better than his. That is how bad my long game is.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
It should be noted, the majority of courses I play, and probably you, are not greens anywhere near pro players play on. Save a few exclusive courses, most of the greens will be friendlier to any approach shot they see on tour. Most of these guys can go pin seeking when I would be hitting a long iron. You won't see shots run away from flag off the green.
That is an interesting point you make. I know for me personally, I play better on nicer courses even when they are considered more difficult (bigger slope/rating), with some exceptions. I think because since I am "a picker" rather than "a ball compressor" I do better with some grass under my ball from fairway & rough. Also as a good chipper and putter, good greens are more predictable. But I think some people play better on the easier yet worse condition courses.

Back to letting a pro hit, stat no pro has ever averaged 10 feet or better from75-100 yards. Does that change your thinking?

Cleaning out the closet, I ran across an old Cobra 5-wood that I bought used, back in the NINETIES.

I thought it was long gone, but it got me through a lot of rounds at Meadowbrook, when I was taking the game up again, and anything over 130 yards was hopeless for me with an iron from the tee.

I think, with this old friend in my bag, this might be the year I break 87. LOL (at Canewood, NOT Meadowbrook)

Reactions: ukalum01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT