ADVERTISEMENT

GoFundme

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
This may ruffle a few feathers, but I'd like other's opinions. I constantly get requests for GoFundme accounts for people that are trying to send their kids over seas to study, or for their kid's honeymoon, or for travel sports. My personal thought is that I paid for my kids, you can pay for yours. We did fundraisers, but never just asked for donations. Make your kids go raise the money if you don't have it. I'm sure I sound like a curmudgeon, but I see too many people complaining about pan handlers on the street, but then pan handle online themselves.

This practice has gone way overboard. I’d NEVER consider donating to someone who was not experiencing a genuine emergency or tragedy. Kids don’t need that overseas trip or fancy honeymoon. Need to learn to live within your means and not beg others for help.

There is a level of narcissism with people who do that junk.

I get asked on a daily basis for money. People are flat out broke and want crap they can’t afford and have lost any self respect they had left by begging others for it. The one and only time I donated to a GoFundMe was for a family whose father was a decorated veteran and had terminal cancer and they wanted to take him on one last vacation. Goal was $10k. What do you know, they quickly got to $10k and all of the sudden they needed more money because they “underestimated” the cost of the trip. The second people get money they want more of it. What started out as a well intentioned deal turns into yet another money grab and it happens daily on that site.

I was going to give $100 to someone who's father recently died and they had no money for the funeral. Then I realized there was a better use for it so I gave it to the collective for NIL. A greater purpose was served.
I wonder if a player could do a gofundme Nil. Interesting.

Recently was solicited to contribute for an acquaintance kid to go to cheer camp in Hawaii. Uh no.
You travel ball mom and dads, you're on your own. You have made the choice to commit your kid to this endeavor. That's on you bub.

However, family loses it all in a fire, I'm sending cash.

Someone in the community needs help, I'm in.

Recently was solicited to contribute for an acquaintance kid to go to cheer camp in Hawaii. Uh no.
You travel ball mom and dads, you're on your own. You have made the choice to commit your kid to this endeavor. That's on you bub.

Agree with this 100%.

This.

Oh that is not what GoFundMe should be used for. It's for medical issues and family tragedies. The other option I'd allow is funding for a work project or product launch. Maybe a startup company is using GoFundMe to generate capital, or a film that's being released needs to raise more money. And usually with those, you get something in return for your donation.

If anyone ever put up a GFM for their kids sports or education costs I'd probably remove those people from my life. Chances are, that's not the only suspect thing they are doing.

This may ruffle a few feathers, but I'd like other's opinions. I constantly get requests for GoFundme accounts for people that are trying to send their kids over seas to study, or for their kid's honeymoon, or for travel sports. My personal thought is that I paid for my kids, you can pay for yours. We did fundraisers, but never just asked for donations. Make your kids go raise the money if you don't have it. I'm sure I sound like a curmudgeon, but I see too many people complaining about pan handlers on the street, but then pan handle online themselves.
One of our neighbors spent $5000 in a losing effort at the vet to save their dog's life. Then sent a GFP around the neighborhood, asking everyone to chip in. By the way, they live in a very nice house. Much nicer than mine.

I was like - 5 grand to pay your vet bill? Thank you very little, but no.

This all started when "running people" decided they couldn't put on an event without having "a cause" to do it for and started begging others to pitch in.

"Hey, I'm running a 10K this weekend and I'm raising money for X charity."

Then it extended to the ridiculous travel ball stuff where for some reason people thought we needed to figure out who the best seven-year old T-Ball team is in the nation.

"Hey, my 7-year old is going to Ordo this weekend for a T-Ball tournament we need to raise money for the trip."

Now you see filthy beggars at every street corner trying to score cash for fentanyl.

"Hey, I'm a wounded vet (lie) whose wife has cancer (lie) and kids need shoes (lie); can you help me out?

These people are all the same and my answer to all these losers is the same as well: GFY

One of our neighbors spent $5000 in a losing effort at the vet to save their dog's life. Then sent a GFP around the neighborhood, asking everyone to chip in. By the way, they live in a very nice house. Much nicer than mine.

I was like - 5 grand to pay your vet bill? Thank you very little, but no.
That’s mind blowing. Were they saying they didn’t have the money to cover it?

The cheer team at my daughters school must use more money than any HS organization in the world. Anytime another club, team or organization does a new fundraiser that makes money the next year the cheer team will do it. My daughters golf team came up with an idea that nobody else was doing and made about 2K off of it. The next year the cheerleaders started doing it too. The 2nd year they started earlier than the golf team to beat us out so the golf team just wound up just breaking even. I think they are now up to about 10-12 different fund raisers per year. I have yet to figure out why they need that much money.

Just like everything else, people have to ruin it for the ones who truly need it. Even in a tragedy, it would be my very last resort to ask others for help.

For me to donate personally, it has to be straight to the funeral home and not to a GoFundMe page. When I see panhandlers on the street, I don’t give them cash but have bought food, shoes, socks, clothes, etc. and dropped it off to them.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Oh that is not what GoFundMe should be used for. It's for medical issues and family tragedies. The other option I'd allow is funding for a work project or product launch. Maybe a startup company is using GoFundMe to generate capital, or a film that's being released needs to raise more money. And usually with those, you get something in return for your donation.

If anyone ever put up a GFM for their kids sports or education costs I'd probably remove those people from my life. Chances are, that's not the only suspect thing they are doing.
I've seen people asking for money to help start a business. Totally different than me buying into the business and being a part owner. Just setting up a GoFundme and asking others to give you money to start a business is bs.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I've seen people asking for money to help start a business. Totally different than me buying into the business and being a part owner. Just setting up a GoFundme and asking others to give you money to start a business is bs.

Usually the ones I've seen will offer SOMETHING in return, even if it's just some merch. But often, I will see a Kickstarter advertisement where you can get the product they are working on for a discount, if you buy in.

But I agree, I wouldn't put a cent into someone's GoFundMe business unless there was something in it for me.

Reactions: GeraldV
For me to donate personally, it has to be straight to the funeral home and not to a GoFundMe page. When I see panhandlers on the street, I don’t give them cash but have bought food, shoes, socks, clothes, etc. and dropped it off to them.

There are signs all over town telling you NOT to donate [EDIT: give cash] to panhandlers. All it does is cause trouble. Donate to Hope Center, Shepherd's House or something similar

Last edited:
I started a GoFundMe years ago because I didn't have insurance (started a new job, insurance came into effect a few weeks later) and ended up in the ER. Raised a whopping $50

There are signs all over town telling you NOT to donate to panhandlers. All it does is cause trouble. Donate to Hope Center, Shepherd's House or something similar

I couldn’t care less what signs are in town and considering you don’t even know what town I live in, you’re assuming you know. We know what they say when you assume?

I will donate, give, pay for whatever I please. You or any one else can kick rocks if you don’t like it.

Have a blessed day now, ya hear?

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
I still remember the guy who made one to fund cals buyout. He made out like a bandit with a few Gs.

I couldn’t care less what signs are in town and considering you don’t even know what town I live in, you’re assuming you know. We know what they say when you assume?

I will donate, give, pay for whatever I please. You or any one else can kick rocks if you don’t like it.

Have a blessed day now, ya hear?
You misunderstood, I meant "don't give them cash". Of course you can donate the items that you describe, and I have done the same. That is a nice thing to do. sorry my post was not clear.

You misunderstood, I meant "don't give them cash". Of course you can donate the items that you describe, and I have done the same. That is a nice thing to do. sorry my post was not clear.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I never give cash, not even to some family members. I will buy what they need if my budget allows me to but never give cash unless it was someone close to me that I knew the intention of it was.

Also sorry for coming off like a jerk, I have a soft spot for the needy and homeless. A lot of those people would give you the shirt off their back and help you before a wealthy person would.

Knew a guy from high school that did one when he was like 35 to go to Ireland and take a course in writing…I laughed so hard we’re not friends anymore.

Seriously, you think I’m donating money for your Ireland writing vacation? As if anything in Ireland will make you a better writer…

I’d never do it nor give to one, but I guess there’s no harm in putting it out there. Just don’t be an ahole and get all defensive when no one gives to it.

Unless you’re an employee, no one owes you money.

The amount of shameless beggars nowadays is crazy - I consider every single worker in every single store asking for tips now in the same vein. Completely out of control. That being said I will occasionally give panhandlers a dollar out of my car window as I feel sorry for them.

I don't receive them. But I wouldn't support anything like that unless it was a necessity (like their kid needs $ for leukemia treatments).

I went to

To each his own but that’s why they have exponentially multiplied. If we enforced a strict no panhandling ban we’d see drug use and homelessness decrease in my opinion.
Panhandling has exponentially multiplied by the Supreme Court said you can't ban panhandling. It is no longer a crime.

Panhandling has exponentially multiplied by the Supreme Court said you can't ban panhandling. It is no longer a crime.
I live 20 minutes from downtown and there’s a homeless camp near my house and bums begging on like 5 of the main corners.

The amount of shameless beggars nowadays is crazy - I consider every single worker in every single store asking for tips now in the same vein. Completely out of control. That being said I will occasionally give panhandlers a dollar out of my car window as I feel sorry for them.

My first thought after reading this was the tipping scheme taking place everywhere. Totally out of control and people continue to feel pressured to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT