ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia

Until the 80s, Georgia was home to the most beautiful suburban homes in the country: 5 acres of North Georgia rolling piney wood, and a 1 story 1960s brick house. Then they began to build McMansions everywhere and squandered it.

You're not lying. The growth of the suburbs was/is insane. If you showed me pictures of where I grew up in the 80's, I'm not sure I would recognize it. Even areas like Hiram or up the 400 and 85 corridors that were sparse farmland are now getting packed in.

Co-worker of mine and his wife just recently returned from a 10-day trip to Georgia. They flew through Istanbul. Said it was a blast, awesome food and apparently there's quite the wine culture there too. Certainly off the beaten path. There's a couple of Georgian restaurants in the DC area. May have to give them a try.

Oh, he did say they're starting to do a lot of infrastructure work, including roads, but no issues on their highways that he encountered.

You're not lying. The growth of the suburbs was/is insane. If you showed me pictures of where I grew up in the 80's, I'm not sure I would recognize it. Even areas like Hiram or up the 400 and 85 corridors that were sparse farmland are now getting packed in.

Hiram/Dallas is *completely* out of control. Douglasville was over run years ago. It's all merging with Atlanta, they are plowing over all the trees and road construction/bridge building is constant. All the two-lanes they are changing into 4-lanes, everywhere.

The small town feel of West Georgia is gone. Many locals/natives are moving west into Winston, Carrollton, etc all the way to the Alabama line. It's not a "white flight" issue as many of the folks leaving are black folks born and raised here and hate all the "progress".

• Sad
Reactions: RunninRichie
^theres a song by MoFro & JJ called Florida that’s talking about all that. How the swamps and natural beauty is being paved over and putting up resorts and amusement parks and the old Florida is gone.

I can’t say anything as I just moved there in 2012.

^theres a song by MoFro & JJ called Florida that’s talking about all that. How the swamps and natural beauty is being paved over and putting up resorts and amusement parks and the old Florida is gone.

I can’t say anything as I just moved there in 2012.

South Alabama, South GA and North Florida are still somewhat a time capsule and still much open and slower places away from the bustle and sprawl. That's what I like about the region...especially the quick access to the Gulf.

Co-worker of mine and his wife just recently returned from a 10-day trip to Georgia. They flew through Istanbul. Said it was a blast, awesome food and apparently there's quite the wine culture there too. Certainly off the beaten path. There's a couple of Georgian restaurants in the DC area. May have to give them a try.

Oh, he did say they're starting to do a lot of infrastructure work, including roads, but no issues on their highways that he encountered.
Tried a Georgian restaurant while in Budapest and it was 🔥 🔥

Reactions: entropy13
I blame the Tbilisi Theological Seminary, but where he grew up in Georgia was a pretty insane place - whole villages would get drunk and fight one another all night.
That sounds amazing actually and now I am a fan.
Cattle Farmers
One of my friend’s family lives there(central Florida) and her uncle quit drinking bud light because well of course he did and switched to miller because they don’t support “gays and trans like BL.” So I sent him a pic of the miler lite Pride can and he said gd it and said he’d start drinking coors so I sent him a pic of the Coors Pride can and he just texted back F**K YOU!

😂 sorry bubba, there are no anti LGBTQRSLMNOP beers anymore. Told him he may need to start drinking Russian vodka since they are not gay friendly. He said he doesn’t drink commie water either.

Poor dude can’t have a drink without thinking about gays and commies, seems like he’s hiding something…

To further prove how stupid this thread is and complaint about it, greater metro Atlanta has 1.6 million more people than the state of Kentucky but these dullards can’t figure out why the traffic sucks…. 🤦‍♂️

Everybody’s having a good time in this thread but you, Rogue. It’s not that serious. Just goofin’ on a goofy state.

All I know about Georgia is that if you ever take a trip down to Cobb County, Georgia, you'd better read the signs, respect the law and order. You'll serve hard times. You'll be serving hard times.

FvEnHjpXoAEADW2.jpg:large

Was in Cumming/Forsyth Co a few weeks ago. It’s totally built up.

Reactions: catlanta33
They couldn't find his son's cocaine at the White Dacha, either.

They should have checked the Coldstream Dacha.

By that time Stalin's son had fallen into German hands and Stalin told the Germans if he surrendered they could keep him. German soldiers were doing meth and the pilots were taking Pervitin so who knows.

Not much has changed I guess.

To further prove how stupid this thread is and complaint about it, greater metro Atlanta has 1.6 million more people than the state of Kentucky but these dullards can’t figure out why the traffic sucks…. 🤦‍♂️

Thats why my brother and his family live in Dacula. He and his wife both work within a 15 minute drive of their house and rarely actually go into Atlanta. Plus there is a AAA baseball team close by so the kids are usually satisfied with that as opposed to going all the way down to the Braves stadium

Reactions: roguemocha
We had a vendor with a shop in Valdosta. A coworker and I visited a couple of times and once got treated to a tour of the VHS football stadium, Hall of Fame museum and weight/locker room facilities and a game. That's one hell of a high school facility. As for the drive in a box truck hauling some equipment from East TN to Valdosta, it's a long ass boring drive.

Reactions: roguemocha
Until the 80s, Georgia was home to the most beautiful suburban homes in the country: 5 acres of North Georgia rolling piney wood, and a 1 story 1960s brick house. Then they began to build McMansions everywhere and squandered it.
When going on spring break in late 60's, Atlanta was so small the Braves had just moved there. I think Cincy was still a bit bigger. Seemed nice & thought I'd want to move there. I-75 wasn't open yet in places. Started making business trips there in 90's & it wasn't good & then by the time I retired in 2012 it was awful. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT