ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt transferring from Rutgers

He is not good.
not by any stretch of the imagination

He struggles with almost every pass a higher level D1 qb would need to make and accuracy is almost nonexistent. As for running, he's a long strider with no moves so north south in open field he's great but if he's got to dance or juke to make people miss for yards, good night

not by any stretch of the imagination

He struggles with almost every pass a higher level D1 qb would need to make and accuracy is almost nonexistent. As for running, he's a long strider with no moves so north south in open field he's great but if he's got to dance or juke to make people miss for yards, good night
Sounds like a Gatewood clone.

Last edited:
If we had injuries to 1st & 2nd string QB (not outlandish, bad luck happens), would UK fans be more optimistic at Wimsatt going in, or Cutter Boley?

Seeing as how we brought in the UCLA kid, and now Gavin, I think we know how Hamdan and Stoops feel about our 2024 QB depth.

If we had injuries to 1st & 2nd string QB (not outlandish, bad luck happens), would UK fans be more optimistic at Wimsatt going in, or Cutter Boley?

Seeing as how we brought in the UCLA kid, and now Gavin, I think we know how Hamdan and Stoops feel about our 2024 QB depth.

so...whats the status? Did UK offer? Is it an NIL deal?

Reactions: MrHotDice

Maybe there are injuries we don't know about. Stoops keeps those close to the vest

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS

Numbers game, UK just had 3 QBs as W/O Shane Hamm had entered the portal. I'd prefer Schlee, bigger, better athlete, adequate passer, just hope this player isn't needed.

Does anyone know the reason why Allen didn't play at all last year at Georgia Southern?
I think Allen used up his one time free transfer pass and could not get a waiver to play so had to sit out a year. I think Allen is pretty solid. Does he have one or two years? Since he sat out last year hopefully two.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
I don’t know. He has some tools that could be refined with the right qb coach probably. Maybe not SEC level but has some potential in the few videos I’ve saw. Numbers don’t look great for sure.
He has the tools but he’s inconsistent. He was frustrating to watch because he would make a few nice throws and then miss wide open receivers or just make bad reads and throw into coverage. Maybe with a new QB coach and a few adjustments he can really reach his potential.

Reactions: bluecoon1
I don’t know. He has some tools that could be refined with the right qb coach probably. Maybe not SEC level but has some potential in the few videos I’ve saw. Numbers don’t look great for sure.
In the other thread I mentioned that they could use a redshirt year. See if he progresses. He could be the emergency QB and play in up to 4 games and could still come back next year. It’s really a no lose situation. A guy with starting D1 experience for insurance purposes!

Batman Dancing GIF

He has the tools but he’s inconsistent. He was frustrating to watch because he would make a few nice throws and then miss wide open receivers or just make bad reads and throw into coverage. Maybe with a new QB coach and a few adjustments he can really reach his potential.
Just on that spring video, he was mixed, but also didn’t get any help from his receivers. Saw several drops and a couple that would have been PI’s. One of those looked like it dropped in a pretty nice place but the receiver was held and it was just out of his reach. He overthrew on his long ball and on one of his TD attempts. I guess he’s ok if we get desperate. At least he has some high level experience.

I think Allen used up his one time free transfer pass and could not get a waiver to play so had to sit out a year. I think Allen is pretty solid. Does he have one or two years? Since he sat out last year hopefully two.
I agree, Allen is solid. When he was here before he was the only quarterback on the roster who was willing to throw over and down the middle. Saw him take a hit to the jaw completing a pass down the seam in the blue white scrimmage back in 21. Kid just needed to get stronger and he’s done it. I think he’s gonna be very important this fall, especially with the new guy running the ball so much.

I wish he would’ve stayed with us at RU as the back up. Not accurate enough to be a legitimate starting quarterback in the Big Ten, let alone the SEC. But he brings some good situational skills – – arm strength is huge, ability to run is top notch, plus he is a good guy/student and will never embarrass any school where he is a student. He won’t be your starter, but you should embrace his signing, especially as your native son.

And who knows, if his accuracy improves more than you expect under your staff, they will look like geniuses.

I think the bottom line is that Stoops and Coen backed off Wimsatt when he was in hs, so no reason to think Stoops and Hamdan would pursue him now. UK has Vandagriff, Boley, Saunders, Ward. Vandagriff has two seasons left. There is a potential pinch in 2024 if Vandagriff were to get hurt, but Stoops seems comfortable with Beau Allen whether or not that is final. They took a look at Schlee but there is no evidence Stoops actually offered Schlee a scholarship. Wimsatt doesn't have SEC arm talent and will end up at UL or at some other <SEC, <B10 school where he can realistically expect to make a run at starting.

Oops

• Haha
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I honestly can’t tell if posts like this are serious or not
Dead serious... look for a rebirth of the RPO and wildcat this year. Take it from someone that knows. MS thinks going back to the old ways will put his team back to 8-10 wins vs pro style and 6 or 7 wins. Maybe he's right. This old style of play helped the Swiss cheese defense.

Last edited:
Yeah but the fans love him, so what do scouts know?
If Bo Allen was so damn good why didn't he sniff pt at a sunbelt school? Why did he transfer the first time to a d2 school? Huge numbers I'm sure against middle school teams. Maybe I'm wrong and he's the next johnny unitus but I'm assuming I'll just let the coaches do their recruiting here.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If Bo Allen was so damn good why didn't he sniff pt at a sunbelt school? Why did he transfer the first time to a d2 school? Huge numbers I'm sure against middle school teams. Maybe I'm wrong and he's the next johnny unitus but I'm assuming I'll just let the coaches do their recruiting here.
Again, Allen was forced to RS at GA Southern by NCAA transfer rules at the time. Stop making negative BS up.

I have a gut feeling that Wimsatt isn't coming in to be a QB..... more likely a hybrid position where he might possibly take snaps in trick plays a la Bowden before he was forced into qb role. Just don't feel he is coming to be QB2

Reactions: The-Hack
Dead serious... look for a rebirth of the RPO and wildcat this year. Take it from someone that knows. MS thinks going back to the old ways will put his team back to 8-10 wins vs pro style and 6 or 7 wins. Maybe he's right. This old style of play helped the Swiss cheese defense.
No need for many WR's then nor them us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT