ADVERTISEMENT

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

What's your favorite Mad Max movie?

• Mad Max (1979)

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Mad Max 2, aka The Road Warrior (1982)

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008

I usually don't see movies on their opening weekends, but I'm taking my brother's kids and want to see it with a crowd. I don't doubt that I'm gonna like it (I've never seen a George Miller movie that I dislike), but some of the effects most definitely look sub-par compared with the (highly dangerous) practical effects that the other films in the series employ.

Anybody else seeing it?

And what's your favorite entry in the series?

I go back and forth on my favorite. Right now it's The Road Warrior, since I saw it at Cinemark in Richmond recently.

Looking forward to this. I thought Fury Road was THE best cinema experience I've ever had. It could've been in subtitles and it would've been great. Furiosa has a lot to live up to but I'll be there for it because of George Miller.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
The new Mad Max was nice popcorn flick, but story and screen play were kind of.. non existent. And that's fine and all for one film. But not sure I need to see a sequel. Then again, Anna Taylor Joy signed on..

The next movie I'm going to see in theaters for sure is the new horror movie "In a Violent Nature".. and not long after, probably going to see "Longlegs"

Last edited:
Reactions: hmt5000
The new Mad Max was nice popcorn flick, but story and screen play were kind of.. non existent. And that's fine and all for one film. But not sure I need to see a sequel. Then again, Anna Taylor Joy signed on..

The next movie I'm going to see in theaters for sure is the new horror movie "In a Violent Nature".. and not long after, probably going to see "Longlegs"
Same. It looks good and I'll see it but I'm afraid its going to be all spectacle and no actual story other than ripping off the old movies.

You don't see movies like that for story or screenplay. Sure it's nice when it all lines up but not many movies do. This was an over the top action flick. One of the rare movies where the action, score, and direction trumped story and screenplay. Add the color palett in there and it's one beautiful action movie.

Same. It looks good and I'll see it but I'm afraid its going to be all spectacle and no actual story other than ripping off the old movies.
Isn't most movies ripping off old movie or remakes? My daughter and I went and watched the Planet of the Apes movie the other night which is obviously from the old ones. During the previews they showed trailers for a new Twister movie, Beetlejuice movie, Mad Max Furioso and The Crow.

I usually don't see movies on their opening weekends, but I'm taking my brother's kids and want to see it with a crowd. I don't doubt that I'm gonna like it (I've never seen a George Miller movie that I dislike), but some of the effects most definitely look sub-par compared with the (highly dangerous) practical effects that the other films in the series employ.

Anybody else seeing it?

And what's your favorite entry in the series?

I go back and forth on my favorite. Right now it's The Road Warrior, since I saw it at Cinemark in Richmond recently.
How was it?

Isn't most movies ripping off old movie or remakes? My daughter and I went and watched the Planet of the Apes movie the other night which is obviously from the old ones. During the previews they showed trailers for a new Twister movie, Beetlejuice movie, Mad Max Furioso and The Crow.
The bad ones.... Yes.

Debating going to see this in XD tonight. You have no idea how pumped I am for something to even sniff the Fury Road IMAX experience. If this even delivers an inkling of that then it's worth the price of admission.

Good movie but no way near as good as Fury Road. There's a pacing problem in this movie and Dementus didn't live up to his name. Great action and color palatte but it just didn't hit like Fury Road did. I had a problem understanding Immortan Joe in this movie. I don't know if it was the theater I was in, the XD version, or whatever else, but Tom Hardy's Bane was more clear than here. It was a decent setup I reckon for Furiosa, but everything else fell a bit flat IMO. I had very high standards for this one. Maybe they were too high and I may have a change of heart upon a second viewing, but that won't be until it's released for streaming/blueray. I didn't need it that way for Fury Road. It was worth repeated cinema viewing. Not this one. We found what's agitating Dad.

Reactions: hmt5000 and J_Dee
Good movie but no way near as good as Fury Road. There's a pacing problem in this movie and Dementus didn't live up to his name. Great action and color palatte but it just didn't hit like Fury Road did. I had a problem understanding Immortan Joe in this movie. I don't know if it was the theater I was in, the XD version, or whatever else, but Tom Hardy's Bane was more clear than here. It was a decent setup I reckon for Furiosa, but everything else fell a bit flat IMO. I had very high standards for this one. Maybe they were too high and I may have a change of heart upon a second viewing, but that won't be until it's released for streaming/blueray. I didn't need it that way for Fury Road. It was worth repeated cinema viewing. Not this one. We found what's agitating Dad.
Hearing this a bunch. I think I'll wait til it comes out online.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
Hearing this a bunch. I think I'll wait til it comes out online.
It's still worth an IMAX viewing just don't go in expecting it to be on par with Fury Road. That's going to be the problem with this movie that it has such HUGE shoes to fill. I don't care what anyone says but Fury Road was a unicorn, man. We'll never see another action movie like that again. Just my opinion on the matter.

Reactions: J_Dee and hmt5000
What?! They tried to cash in on a movie from 2017 and it didnt work?

If its not A24 or some other indie studio, I'll pass.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
I skipped on it on Saturday because my nieces wanted me to wait until their friend could go with 'em. I reckon we'll be seeing it Tuesday.

I didn't figure that it would be a record-breaker at the box office, but I'm still surprised that it's bombing as hard as it is. :/

I'll catch it on Max or something down the road. Nothing will top Fury Road and the story behind the story of trying to get that one made. The trailer also didn't look great but I'm sure it's still a fun movie.

Reactions: J_Dee
Box office isn't looking good for movie theaters. Furiosa only did $26million over the weekend which is the lowest Memorial weekend take in over 25 years. Not a whole lot of other potential blockbusters on deck either. I'd hate to see their financials this year.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: J_Dee
I didn't know until just now that George Miller had released a black-and-white version of Fury Road. I would've loved to have seen that on a theater screen. He's apparently releasing a black-and-white version of Furiosa to theaters as well. If I really, really like the color version of Furiosa (I'm seeing it in just a few hours from now), I'll definitely go see the B&W version if it plays at a decent theater that's within a reasonable driving distance (which ain't likely, but I can hope). :uzi:

Box office isn't looking good for movie theaters. Furiosa only did $26million over the weekend which is the lowest Memorial weekend take in over 25 years. Not a whole lot of other potential blockbusters on deck either. I'd hate to see their financials this year.

I read that the Casper the Friendly Ghost movie (released waaaay back in 1995) had a bigger opening than Furiosa:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckdd10p0pj5o

Anya Taylor-Joy hadn't even been born when Casper landed in theaters. :/

I read that the Casper the Friendly Ghost movie (released waaaay back in 1995) had a bigger opening than Furiosa:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckdd10p0pj5o

Anya Taylor-Joy hadn't even been born when Casper landed in theaters. :/
Yea. I saw an entertainment website and the numbers they showed looked horrible for the theaters. I'd assume their rent is going up too just like everything right now. 2017 had 4 billion dollar movies and a few others that were close. We might get one this year and not really much more.

Streaming wars look to have killed the movie theater.

Yea. I saw an entertainment website and the numbers they showed looked horrible for the theaters. I'd assume their rent is going up too just like everything right now. 2017 had 4 billion dollar movies and a few others that were close. We might get one this year and not really much more.

Streaming wars look to have killed the movie theater.
The streams have been around for a bit now. Just two years ago Top Gun Maverick was killing it at the box office. I think it has more to do with the prices of everything that has a lot of people pinching pennies. It cost me almost $18 for just the ticket to see Furiosa. That's insane.

To be honest with you, the thought of watching any movie at the theaters over Memorial Day weekend holds no appeal to me. After COVID, people seem hellbent on getting out of the house and enjoying life. Movies might take a hit, especially one that basically just looks like a complete remake of a movie that only came out a few years ago.

I'll see it when it streams but lol nope at wasting a holiday weekend in a damn theater.

Edit -- Added Furiosa to the poll.

Very minor spoilers:

I love Furiosa, so much that I'm going to see it again tomorrow. Recency bias be damned, as of right now it's my favorite of the five films in the series.

It does move at an overall slower pace than Fury Road, because there's a bit more plot (the movie covers a span of about 15 years), but everything still flies by at a pretty breakneck speed once it all gets rolling, and Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth totally sell their characters (the final confrontation between Furiosa and Dementus doesn't disappoint).

Good movie. And will be better in theaters than in your home.

Definitely. It was made to be watched with the biggest, loudest setup available. Some friends saw it at a theater that has speakers in the seats and both said that it blew them away.

If I've got one nitpick...

...it's that there's a ton of CG effects and they don't always look totally convincing (like parts of the War Rig fight). Which isn't a big deal because it isn't at all bad enough to take me out of it.

I hope the upcoming black-and-white ("black-and-chrome" as George Miller calls it) version gets released in theaters, ideally shown as a double-feature with the already-released black-and-chrome version of Fury Road.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT