ADVERTISEMENT

Flying into Lexington at 10:34 this morning...

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
....wife and son want to eat in an "iconic" restaurant (either for late breakfast or early lunch)....any ideas?

Mahalo for your suggestions!

AlohaCat

No iconic breakfast restaurants in Lex. Wild Eggs is close to the airport and very good and unique. Doodles downtown is a good local option.

This place is really cool, iconic, and the setting is beautiful.

http://www.windycornermarket.com

Agree, Windy Corner is awesome but maybe a little out of the way for you - on the east side of Lexington. But, I might suggest Winchell's on Southland Drive, another great place to eat and I like the atmosphere of a true Sports Bar and restaurant in a unique setting inside the building. Totally appropriate place for a family to eat and was started up by two guys from Lexington. Good food and workers are very friendly (good service).

Josie's on campus in Chevy chase is a great local breakfast place. For lunch Harry's is part of Malones and it's good and three locations in Hamburg, Tates Creek and Palomar, you can also order from Malones menu. Merrick Inn is excellent for dinner off of Tates Creek.

I am telling you, everytime someone asks where to eat in Lexington, Joe B's is brought up everytime. I go there each time I visit Lexington. Go there is you like/in the mood for pizza. Get the bread sticks.

Yes, Tally Ho's is still there but has moved, but right down the street on S Broadway I Believe. Love me some Ho Burgers and Cheese Fries, and Maolones is or Merrick Inn are great.

There is only one place....Tolly Ho....the son of original owner used to be on the Board.

I am not sure it's still operating though...been three years since I was in Lexington.

....wife and son want to eat in an "iconic" restaurant (either for late breakfast or early lunch)....any ideas?

Mahalo for your suggestions!

AlohaCat

Jack you're going to be in Lexington???? Darn it, I wish I knew this - would have loved to meet up with you and the lovely wife !!!

Stella's is fantastic, by the way. It's my top choice for weekend brunch. But, brunch is only available on Saturday and Sunday. I'd personally recommend Ramsey's if you want breakfast food anytime. Theirs is always available and it's an epic plate of food. It's also a local restaurant, and a successful one, so that fits the bill.

Jack you're going to be in Lexington???? Darn it, I wish I knew this - would have loved to meet up with you and the lovely wife !!!

Aloha Lady!!!

We're in eastern Kentucky visiting Mom right now....we plan on coming to Lexington (possibly on Tuesday) for the "required" visit to Kennedy Book Store.....we would love to meet up with you !!!

With Aloha

Jack aka Hicatfan aka AlohaCat

Stella's is fantastic, by the way. It's my top choice for weekend brunch. But, brunch is only available on Saturday and Sunday. I'd personally recommend Ramsey's if you want breakfast food anytime. Theirs is always available and it's an epic plate of food. It's also a local restaurant, and a successful one, so that fits the bill.

Mahalo Seth!!! We went to Stella's and it did not fail.....it was great!!! Hot Brown, Lamb burger and Lentil burger.....with a side of fried green tomatoes....

With Aloha

AlohaCat

Concur on the Winchell's rec, love their Hot Brown. I wasn't all that impressed with Ramsey's on my last visit to the homeland.

Concur on the Winchell's rec, love their Hot Brown. I wasn't all that impressed with Ramsey's on my last visit to the homeland.

We go to both. Depending upon what we're in the mood for.

Winchell's is a sports bar with enough TVs to be the set of a movie version of 1984, but the chef was trained by the Culinary Institute of America. (CIA) Great food considering that it is, in fact, a sports bar.

I've never been to Stella's (hadn't even heard of it) but their menu looks great. Will try it out.

Lexington Diner on the corner of Upper and Short downtown is very good.
Smashing Tomato for pizza
Sahara in Beaumont Center for middle eastern food
Local Taco
Blue Door Smokehouse on Walton Avenue across from the Jif plant is some of the best barbecue I've ever had
Stellas
County Club on Jefferson - get the pork belly if they have it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT