ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

Ron -- summer is the easiest time to make healthy changes. You don't even really have to do much. Just decide to be outside more and everything else naturally falls in line -- or at least it does for me.

If I'm out with the wife, dog, (kids, etc) walking the neighborhood or puttering in the yard, eating off the grill most nights, and taking the time to enjoy the little things like reading book on Sunday afternoon or turning off my phone and watching a baseball game without interruption or whatever, I naturally start doing the right thing without a lot of conscious effort.

October through June is when fitness and health are hard. June through October are easy.

Anybody got any cool races, hikes, etc. planned now that weather has truly turned? The majority of us are passionate about lifting but there’s a lot more out there to get ya moving.

I’m hitting this trail first this season. Devil’s Bathtub

Also following Hanks post for more discussion. Any healthy or semi healthy grill recipes? Would really like to get better at fish on either of my grills and honing my hibachi skills on the flat top

Reactions: Hank Camacho
-Speaking of, should be down 5lbs and 3-3.5% in BF. Mirror test looks great. Back, but a little snug, to the original belt loop. Derby was a glut but strict AF for the next 6 weeks.

-For a dude like Line Ski, wild you're just now creatine. I was using that stuff in HS back in the 90s. Grats, with your base, you're gonna see some great gains.

-as long as it's meat and not covered in some super sugary or fatty sauce... everything off the grill should be pretty healthy. I like fish sous vide, baked, or on your flat top more than grilled in most cases(salmon probably the exception because of fat content). Ahi seared rare with some tamari and siracha has been pretty consistent.

It is crazy how ZERO alcohol makes everything easier that’s for sure, just life in general. You create way fewer little problems and very rarely big ones.

Just fyi, Ron and anyone, there is no good and easier time to slow down or quit drinking. There is a reason every month if not week, many make excuses for it every day. Just like smoking people always say this day or that day I’ll quit. If you want to just do it today.

It’s nothing more than will power.

My diet and routine is like a damn German train schedule these days. Obviously my drinking was different but I can’t imagine ever going back to a drink as happy as I am without it.

Tim Dillon was talking about how every American man is programmed as the other poster said to think that Vegas, booze and gambling are the COOLEST MOST FUN THINGS EVER. I actually don’t enjoy any of them besides a sports book on occasion.

That’s why there is a ridiculous amount of gambling addiction and alcoholism in this country. The drinking is actually decreasing but gambling is about to take a huuuuuuge jump.

Those 3 things they want you to think are cool are literally designed to extract money from people that shouldn’t be using it but do so to escape the doldrums they’ve built for themselves and feel trapped in.

I like the shows and pools in Vegas, sitting inside gambling in neon lights seems like torture to me.

-Cant believe lineskicat just got on creatine that is indeed wild. I’ve seen you from the video, unless you never work legs I can’t fathom your leg press max being #540. I did #1008 or so when I was around #225.

Leg press is basically a machine for dudes trying to show off leg power that can’t with squats and Deads if you ask me. It’s still useful but nothing should be built around leg press. It should be used around squats and Deads imo.

It is crazy how ZERO alcohol makes everything easier that’s for sure, just life in general. You create way fewer little problems and very rarely big ones.

Just fyi, Ron and anyone, there is no good and easier time to slow down or quit drinking. There is a reason every month if not week, many make excuses for it every day. Just like smoking people always say this day or that day I’ll quit. If you want to just do it today.

It’s nothing more than will power.

My diet and routine is like a damn German train schedule these days. Obviously my drinking was different but I can’t imagine ever going back to a drink as happy as I am without it.

Tim Dillon was talking about how every American man is programmed as the other poster said to think that Vegas, booze and gambling are the COOLEST MOST FUN THINGS EVER. I actually don’t enjoy any of them besides a sports book on occasion.

That’s why there is a ridiculous amount of gambling addiction and alcoholism in this country. The drinking is actually decreasing but gambling is about to take a huuuuuuge jump.

Those 3 things they want you to think are cool are literally designed to extract money from people that shouldn’t be using it but do so to escape the doldrums they’ve built for themselves and feel trapped in.

I like the shows and pools in Vegas, sitting inside gambling in neon lights seems like torture to me.

-Cant believe lineskicat just got on creatine that is indeed wild. I’ve seen you from the video, unless you never work legs I can’t fathom your leg press max being #540. I did #1008 or so when I was around #225.

Leg press is basically a machine for dudes trying to show off leg power that can’t with squats and Deads if you ask me. It’s still useful but nothing should be built around leg press. It should be used around squats and Deads imo.
Unless you are working around lower back issues, I agree.

Reactions: roguemocha
Took a physical for life insurance and got the results back. 6 feet 162 lbs, high HDL and low LDL, 118/72, everything either normal or low, not bad. Drinking still insane. Thursday had wine, Friday had martinis, wine, seltzers, blacked out. Last night had mint juleps, tequila, etc etc and got hammered. Slept like ass all 3 nights. Due to various massive life events taking place the last 3 years I ended up coping with the stress with heavy drinking. The last event wrapped up this week but the drinking didn’t 😂. Honestly can’t even imagine how I would feel if I was drinking less and actually sleeping on the weekends. I’m going to TRY but man summer is not the easiest time to slow that shit down especially with our insane social life.

Brother, up to day 14. One of best weekends in I cannot remember how long. Don't get me wrong, I will let loose whenever we do guys weekend again but I'm not having the sh*t in my house anymore. I feel SO MUCH better.

I'm not sure when I lost it a bit but I think it was during Covid and it got progressively worse. Definitely wasn't something I couldn't stop (clearly) but it was getting way too habitual. It was also self sabotage. I was working out and showing no results plus belly growing (it was also getting harder to get out of bed and force myself to gym).

I would estimate on just booze alone I was taking in 4000-5000 calories a week. That doesn't even count the sh*tty late night food decisions, grogginess in morning.

Just not worth it....

Last edited:
Yup! Popping out of bed at 4:30-6a with no alarm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed is just the bees knees.

No more, uggggghhhh I do not want to get up wtf is wrong with me…

But as the other dude said I’m not saying to quit for anyone, just talking my experience personally.

I WISH I could drink like a normal person, it’s very fun but these days I have a blast without it, even if it’s just me and the dogger.

Been seeing Gary Brecka called out A LOT lately. And it seems for good reason. We should probably reign in our info from him.

“82% of whey protein is converted into fats and sugar…” 😂

Uhhhh yeah sure it is. I’ve been eating like 80g of sugar and fat a day from whey for almost 20 years lol okay.

I don’t use whey nearly as much anymore because I get my protein from food mostly.

In fact, tracking my food lately I probably should stop using whey at all personally just because I’m over my protein goals by like 80g day right now. I’m just used to taking it but honestly don’t need it except to feel full.

Yup! Popping out of bed at 4:30-6a with no alarm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed is just the bees knees.

No more, uggggghhhh I do not want to get up wtf is wrong with me…

But as the other dude said I’m not saying to quit for anyone, just talking my experience personally.

I WISH I could drink like a normal person, it’s very fun but these days I have a blast without it, even if it’s just me and the dogger.
There is something great about waking up NOT hungover. You never really regret that, kind of like how you never regret going to the gym. I woke up Monday clear-minded and ready to go, and not once did I think "Man I wish I had those few beers Sunday night". Have to try and think of it that way.

Penance today for losing my composure was post morning deadlifts for ten sets then about 4.5 hours later I ran stairs.

144 up 144 down.
2 warmup sets of up and down once with break.
25 pushups in between.
Then 8 flights up and down straight through 5 times which took 13:57. About 600 cals, per HR monitor, in 14 minutes. 1000 for the whole deal which was about 30ish minutes.

The last two flights I had “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” on repeat.

Tired but feel great after, as the great Clayton Bigsby said, “if you hate in your heart let it out”, through stairs.

Played my first game of full court bball since October. Played at my kids school gym - last year was first year they had it and I played about 6 or 7 weeks - lots of guys who were pretty novice, out of shape guys, old guys, was great as I hadn’t played for 6 years. Apparently the word got out as this time it was all 20 something fit ballers. JFC I’m out of shape. I ate taco Tuesday with my kids about an hour before going which was a terrible idea. We won 4 straight games due to 2 really good players on my team while I hobbled up and down the floor being completely useless. Shot 2 for 4. Looked down after 45 minutes and saw my ACLs were still intact so called it a win and peaced out. Will see if I can get more rust off next week.

Played my first game of full court bball since October. Played at my kids school gym - last year was first year they had it and I played about 6 or 7 weeks - lots of guys who were pretty novice, out of shape guys, old guys, was great as I hadn’t played for 6 years. Apparently the word got out as this time it was all 20 something fit ballers. JFC I’m out of shape. I ate taco Tuesday with my kids about an hour before going which was a terrible idea. We won 4 straight games due to 2 really good players on my team while I hobbled up and down the floor being completely useless. Shot 2 for 4. Looked down after 45 minutes and saw my ACLs were still intact so called it a win and peaced out. Will see if I can get more rust off next week.
Indoor or outdoor? Outdoor ball is usually ass because double rims. But if you have a nice chain net on the goal it makes up for it. No better sound than a chain net swish.

-poaching fish* is the best cooking method I've found
Got a good YT tutorial rec? I've sous vide'd fish before but I can't recall poaching.

Poached salmon sounds fantastic this summer. Recs for a white fish? Cod doesn't sound right.

We make spring rolls with precooked shrimp and avocado a lot during the summer. A quick, no-cook light meal that hits the spot. A little something like this.

-Do you just heat them in a pan or air fry? Good idea for some summer evening quick hitters I can eat on the deck with my hands.

-I’ve spent about 80%+ of waking hours outside this year so far minus work but both jobs are open to the outdoors. That’s an amazing feeling for me as I loathe being inside on a couch besides post 6-7p.

Would love to find some hoops for cardio but been hitting that pretty well already, finally. Stairs are much more fun and a physical
Challenge to me than running or ANYTHING indoors. I still run my mile/mile+ regularly but stairs really get the job done.

Not many times you’ll need to run for more 20 minutes imo so the ability to do 15 minutes of stairs should be plenty of cardio to get out of/away from any situation.

-Assuming he meant inside court since he said gym, usually a court if outside. But chains were always a nice touch for sure unless someone caught a finger.

-Mashed out shoulders/traps this morning, added in some in between set Hammies since my Hammy day was cut short yesterday.

Cable crunches til I die in between other sets.

Abs starting to pop, SON!

I think canned tuna is probably one of the best foods you can eat, not only for muscle building, but just in general..

Cheap, long expiration date, can find it anywhere, convenient, functional, high in protein and almost nothing else in it that you don't want. Surw, fresh fish is always preferred, but hard to find all those things in one food item. Fresh fish ain't always cheap.

You might have to pay a little more for the sustainably caught one, or one that you trust more than the super generic "starkist" brand.. but you put some Frank's red hot on it.. maybe a little bit of mayo.. hard to best for muscle building food.

You’re not wrong with canned tuna but that’s got to be in a pinch for me these days or traveling or something. I keep a 4pack at the house but haven’t cracked them in 4 months.

I have Tupperware on Tupperware full of cooked protein and carbs which is better and super easy.

Oh and TOUCH MAYO and the disgusting horse that it rode in on. Not sure how anyone looks at mayo and says, “mmmm partially curdled fat, I should add that to my food…”

Plus it basically has ZERO health benefits so I basically don’t ingest anything that doesn’t have nutritional value but again, I’m a psycho.

You’re not wrong with canned tuna but that’s got to be in a pinch for me these days or traveling or something. I keep a 4pack at the house but haven’t cracked them in 4 months.

I have Tupperware on Tupperware full of cooked protein and carbs which is better and super easy.

Oh and TOUCH MAYO and the disgusting horse that it rode in on. Not sure how anyone looks at mayo and says, “mmmm partially curdled fat, I should add that to my food…”

Plus it basically has ZERO health benefits so I basically don’t ingest anything that doesn’t have nutritional value but again, I’m a psycho.

Haha, not a mayo fan I see.

It's best if you can live without it. But a little bit of it goes a LONG way in making some things taste better. A turkey club sandwich with OUT Mayo??

For me, I think you sometimes have to church some foods up make them edible. That vege platter trick I love.. it only works if I have some ranch or blue cheese. And yes that makes it less healthy, but im probably not eating raw veggies without at least a smidge of dip.

-We do ahi, the frozen filets. Just drop them in the sous vide at 53 degrees to let them thaw. 1-2 minutes per side. Boom. 50g of protein per 6oz.

-WS has a good baked white fish with parm crust recipe. Another option is fish tacos/fajitas and coat in taco seasoning.

-Don't forget shrimp and 40g of protein per 6oz. Extremely easy and versatile.

-Ton of talk about the benefits of a 10 minute walk post meal. Seems like an easy hack.

-Good thing about Bulgarians, your day is all up hill after that.

Ahi filets may be the easiest healthy protein to make. And not much more expensive than quality canned tuna or salmon. Get the skillet hot, coat with olive oil, sear 2 minutes each side, profit. Perfect medium rare every time.

Spicy mustard is my go-to condiment. No fat/sugars, extry low calorie. Pairs perfectly with ahi, salmon, chicken, ground sirloin. Also ideal for vegetables if you haven't become accustomed to eating raw.

Grill / smoker gets a serious run these next four months. Salmon is WAF on the smoker and with the Meater or Weber SmokeFire's built-in bluetooth probe, the guessing is removed from prep. Sweet potatoes and vegetables also taste better off the grill.

Got a good YT tutorial rec? I've sous vide'd fish before but I can't recall poaching.

Poached salmon sounds fantastic this summer. Recs for a white fish? Cod doesn't sound right.

We make spring rolls with precooked shrimp and avocado a lot during the summer. A quick, no-cook light meal that hits the spot. A little something like this.

Lagerstrom’s Basque Cheesecake recipe is bonkers. Obviously not healthy… but just make it once.

Canned fish (from Europe) is expensive but luxurious. Portuguese and Italian offerings are sometimes better than some fresh line-caught stuff at the local monger.

So, my two main lifting partners are both single (no kids)bald headed dudes. Some of you know both. Both jacked and lean af. We constantly send each other pictures of our boring ass chicken and broccoli dinners. The accountability factor is really nice. Plus, they both have decades more experience than I do. I'm just behind a different hardship. When you have 2 kids <8 in the house it takes REAL will power to be on a hard core cut. Always, snacks around. Pizza, Fast food, candy, PBJs, fried stuff, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, cheese sticks, chips, sauces. Constant. Hard to throw 2-4 chicken nuggests away when they don't get eaten. Hard to not grab a slice or two of Za when it's fresh.

Last night, I'm eating 10oz of chicken breast, green beans and a hard boiled egg for like the 100th time in the last 6 weeks. Next to me, my 8 year old is hammering a Raisens Canes 4 piece with a root beer. Inevitably I was able to get by with 1 single bite of a chicken finger and about 5 fries. Plan last night was to stuff my face with my food before door dash got there.n

They just don't have these temptations as in their face. Dad life is brutal for the strict dieting.

Last edited:
- hoping to get to grilling soon. Doing a good deal of work on the new house and the deck so we are only half setup.. I have a weber kettle grill from my duplex apartment days.. but I really want to upgrade. Either get a very nice propane weber.. or keep the Charcoal and go with a nice pellet smoker. I need something to be a little quicker and easier than a Charcoal kettle grill.

- the dad life makes all this 10x more difficult. My only time I can go to the gym is when my daughter goes to bed at 7pm. With a soon-to-be 1 year old.. there's just not a lot free time for anything really. I'll be glad if my health, diet and fitness can just "survive" these first few years hahaha.

Lagerstrom’s Basque Cheesecake recipe is bonkers. Obviously not healthy… but just make it once.

Canned fish (from Europe) is expensive but luxurious. Portuguese and Italian offerings are sometimes better than some fresh line-caught stuff at the local monger.
The ingredients you have immediately at your disposal in NY are tough to hang with.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
So, my two main lifting partners are both single (no kids)bald headed dudes. Some of you know both. Both jacked and lean af. We constantly send each other pictures of our boring ass chicken and broccoli dinners. The accountability factor is really nice. Plus, they both have decades more experience than I do. I'm just behind a different hardship. When you have 2 kids <8 in the house it takes REAL will power to be on a hard core cut. Always, snacks around. Pizza, Fast food, candy, PBJs, fried stuff, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, cheese sticks, chips, sauces. Constant. Hard to throw 2-4 chicken nuggests away when they don't get eaten. Hard to not grab a slice or two of Za when it's fresh.
Me: "Wife, please don't get so much junk food for our kids. I know you don't eat it because you have will power. But I can't stop."

Wife: Immediately goes to store and buys Nutella, Pringles, Ice Cream, etc.

Just got an email from Eight Sleep asking if I want to upgrade to the Pod 4 for an additional $250. It will delay me receiving the pod by a couple of weeks. I didn't even know a new pod cover was dropping and don't really have the time to research if the new one is actually that much different.

Does the hivemind of FITYERO have any insight on whether or not I should upgrade?

Reactions: anthonys735
Me: "Wife, please don't get so much junk food for our kids. I know you don't eat it because you have will power. But I can't stop."

Wife: Immediately goes to store and buys Nutella, Pringles, Ice Cream, etc.

We could, and maybe should, make a thread dedicated to women.

I'll never be upset having the food options I do in NY haha.
It’s really not fair. I do miss it.

Having a hard time narrowing what pulldown/row attachments to get for the garage gym. Seems like the MAG medium supinate grip is a fan favorite. Thinking a wide grip aluminum and a rotating straight bar for the time being.

Just got an email from Eight Sleep asking if I want to upgrade to the Pod 4 for an additional $250. It will delay me receiving the pod by a couple of weeks. I didn't even know a new pod cover was dropping and don't really have the time to research if the new one is actually that much different.

Does the hivemind of FITYERO have any insight on whether or not I should upgrade?

I happened to Google this just to see what it was. One of the indepth reviews, the guy said it was a real bitch to setup. And in the end, while it "felt" nice, he didn't feel any different or any improvement in sleep..

Probably doesn't help you. But in this regards, it seems the company is trying to move product. I'd say hold off. I have become increasingly skeptical of some of these guys. Always pushing something to make someone a quick millionaire. How many different new age beds companies do we have today? Are any of them really any different?

• Love
Reactions: Hank Camacho
It’s really not fair. I do miss it.

Having a hard time narrowing what pulldown/row attachments to get for the garage gym. Seems like the MAG medium supinate grip is a fan favorite. Thinking a wide grip aluminum and a rotating straight bar for the time being.

It's really not. Anything that any other region or state or even tiny mountain town has in America.. chances are someone moved from their to NYC and brought their food.

Like sure, the south has more BBQ places.. and probably the absolutely best of the best.. but plenty of BBQ places in NYC are people who came from these places.

Whatever you make, we eventually have almost just as good of a version.

New York may beat Kentucky in food but (other than model transplants in Manhattan) we smoke your asses when it comes to the ladies.

New York women are straight dogs

Are you talking about NYC or overall in the state? Cause normal girls in NYC (Manhattan and Brooklyn) are on point. I had a project in the Village and you couldn’t throw a dead cat without hitting a smoke show.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
New York State. The City is, in my experience, overrated but at least the women are relatively thin because they have to walk everywhere.

New York may beat Kentucky in food but (other than model transplants in Manhattan) we smoke your asses when it comes to the ladies.

New York women are straight dogs.

Probably because there's a lot of non-whites in NYC. Some of those NYC Latinas are ROUGH.

But our 8's, 9's and 10s are tip top. If you're a model in KY, you ain't staying there. If you're worth your weight in looks, you'll be in LA or NYC or somewhere similar.

And I saw nothing impressive, at all, about Lexington women. Aside from some coeds walking to a game at Rupp, I was unimpressed.

Are the women elsewhere? Louisville?

New York State. The City is, in my experience, overrated but at least the women are relatively thin because they have to walk everywhere.
When I was in college, SAE's brother, another guy and I drove up to Boston for a Red Sox game and then came back through NYC. Let me say this... the women in Boston were the ugliest women I've ever seen in the world. NYC was noticeably better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT