ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

The missus and I hit it up Trader Joe's over the weekend for meal prep. So far, it has been fantastic for two DINKs who are sort of over spending all day on Saturday air frying protein and divvying it up into tupperware. I'm particularly excited about jicama wrap tacos.

Getting meal prep ideas from Trader Joe's is more difficult than other stores, it seems. Anyone got a good resource for ideas for healthy eating from Trader Joe's. The youtubers / bloggers posting about TJs are way too earthy crunchy for my blood. In this house, Dr. Chris Kolb is bad word.

Try one of the LLMs that’s trained on real time data. You can pretty easily prompt it to do meal planning within parameters. I’m curious if you could limit it to Trader Joe’s.

Try one of the LLMs that’s trained on real time data. You can pretty easily prompt it to do meal planning within parameters. I’m curious if you could limit it to Trader Joe’s.
I tried it with ChatGPT and it wouldn't push the protein past 115 grams per day. Pretty annoying, tbh, but a win for humanity.

First real beach day in forever it seems. Almost went and did the boat/pool day pump but remembered I’m hanging with my gal pal and her husband and kids so stuck to the program and just hit Hammies today, was a tough call though.

Plus, the reals know having trunks for legs is way more impressive than uppers.

Well my wife ran the food budget for the last couple of months. Showeee... eating healthy is great *AND* expensive as shit.
It’s ridiculous that eating healthy is double the cost of eating shit. For the life of me I don’t get why food isn’t more subsidized. It’s how we live and don’t get every ailment ever.

My best advice is when Publix has BOGO chicken breast grab them all and freeze them, that’s what I do.

Last time I got 4 sets of 6 chicken breast for $34. That’s less than $2 for a meals worth of protein. Hell most women aren’t even eating a full breast so hers could be two meals.

Between that and mowing down eggs for bfast, that’s 3 really cheap yet boring meals for like $10 a day at most not counting sides.

@WayneDougan what about us SINKs? The only advantage DINKs have is two incomes for one rent/mortgage, otherwise if I date or marry a gal that makes less than I she’s dragging me down bro.

By chance are you a DINk and can afford it?
TINK, actually. I've been getting the Norton Commons money that used to go Minnick's way.

Healthy food can be both historically cheap and also expensive when compared to more unhealthy modern fare, crumb bum.

Last edited:
Reactions: roguemocha
Historically speaking and adjusted for inflation, food (incl healthy food) is ridiculously cheap. You think you were getting any fresh vegetables in the winter in Boston in 1924?
We’re also safer than ever but if you asked my grandmother she believes everyone in any major city gets shot daily. Every time I go to Chicago she begs me not to go 😂

I've seen two instances now where people take Creatine as more of a "daily supplement", than what I've been used to seeing growing up, in that it's something you cycle on and off of, and something you need to be a little careful in how and when you take it (And maybe I was always wrong in that assessment).

I know several here have praised it, and even in publications, I see how safe it is, how studied it is, etc. I've never been against taking it, but I've never gotten into it because, honestly, it seemed like work: making sure you cycle it, making sure you actually workout when using it, etc.

So to the experts here, what do I need to know? Can Creatine be used as a "daily" intake? I'm in my 30's, I know that i'm never going to be a body builder with 8% body fat.. but I would love to start to reap the benefits of a creatine supplement. Nothing too crazy. I try to lift 3-4 days a week, PPL setup.

Reactions: anthonys735
Creatine is the most studied OTC supplement next to whey. It’s as safe as safe can get. Naturally found in beef, chicken, pork, fish and any other animal protein, to varying degrees.

It’s been linked several times in here, perfectly fine to take daily and has shown to have as much or more cognitive benefits as muscular/skeletal.

Thorne is my preferred brand but it’s an amino, just about any brand will do. No need to cycle but you do you.

It’s honestly a no brainer, you’re not going to have kidney damage or anything. Simplify your life and just dump 5g in your coffee or pre or oj or protein shake and done for the day. Absolutely no reason to cycle. Most regular gym going women are taking it, hell I know a few on TRT and it’s not because they want to get jacked, they can’t put on weight, they’re too skinny.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
And thats exactly what I'm looking for. A type of once a day supplement that I don't have to think about. I never thought I had "earned" using creatine and cycling.. and figured I would end up screwing it up.. but in my late 30s, kind of feel like I need something else to take.

But If I can do it once a day, that would be preferred.. and preferably in capsule form if at all possible.

Anything I should know, anything tips, things not to do? I know I can Google this (and I still plan to), but I always like getting some good back and forth here.

You can for sure do caps but they’re usually big and you take like 5 of them but that rant bother me, I take like double digit supps in one swallow in the mornings. Just preference whether caps or powder, same same.

For us it really isn’t going to matter what time you take it really, just preferably same time every day.

I like micronized monohydrate.

Reactions: UK-chulo
You can for sure do caps but they’re usually big and you take like 5 of them but that rant bother me, I take like double digit supps in one swallow in the mornings. Just preference whether caps or powder, same same.

For us it really isn’t going to matter what time you take it really, just preferably same time every day.

I like micronized monohydrate.

Yeah I don't mind taking pills, even the big ones.. I find that infinitely easier than trying to find a clean shaker and make what I imagine isn't a great tasting drink, and then cleaning the shaker bottle.

Micronuzed monohydrate.. got it. And 5gs a day is a good start? And reason to go lower in the beginning?

They use to have you with a loading phase where you took more to start but unnecessary now. Just start straight off at 5dg/day and you’re good to go. They have no flavor most of the time either way.

They use to have you with a loading phase where you took more to start but unnecessary now. Just start straight off at 5dg/day and you’re good to go. They have no flavor most of the time either way.

Sweet.

Yeah I remember all that. Loading phase, deloading phase, maintenance in between. Had to really watch your water intake (that one might still be true?). I remember wanting to try it, but i knew myself, and I knew I would slip up. And I had already heard that if you take creatine and slack on your lifting for a few weeks, you just get fat haha.

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
No, that’s steroids now that make you fat without workouts lol. Very prevalent in KW gyms. Worked out there for years having zero idea 50%+ was geared up lol. I was like how are these tanned up 60+ year old fishermen so gd wrecked? Lol

Seeing your video I’m going to assume you already drink plenty of water, per usual, ideally a gallon or so a day if you can. But I’d drink that on creatine or not.

Reactions: thabigbluenation
Yeah I don't mind taking pills, even the big ones.. I find that infinitely easier than trying to find a clean shaker and make what I imagine isn't a great tasting drink, and then cleaning the shaker bottle.

Micronuzed monohydrate.. got it. And 5gs a day is a good start? And reason to go lower in the beginning?
If it isn’t micronized it won’t dissolve in cold liquids. Like Rogue said dissolving in a hot drink will work. Also believe there are gummies on the market as well.

Anyone got a whey powder recommendation? I usually just get El Cheapo off Amazon but I'm downing multiple scoops of this stuff per day so I guess I might as well upgrade a bit -- if that matters. Does it?

Anyone got a whey powder recommendation? I usually just get El Cheapo off Amazon but I'm downing multiple scoops of this stuff per day so I guess I might as well upgrade a bit -- if that matters. Does it?
Not really, I mean sure there are better quality types but again, imo, for what we’re doing in here it’s not going to make a much of a difference at all.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Most have 25-30g per serving, so what you want to look for is cholesterol. Cheaper ones usually use fillers and thus ratchet up that nutrient as well as artificial sweeteners. I’d stay away from the tubs you can get at Kroger, Wal-Mart, etc as they predominantly fall into this category.

Using Naked Whey now. It’s more pricey than average whey supplements but right away could tell they don’t put any extry in it, as it’s a pretty plain, unsweet chocolate.

Dymatize ISO-100 and Optimum Nutrition Hydro Whey are both solid choices and also lighter on the wallet.

In the spirit of this thread, I will hop on the barbell bench and shred my shoulder in attempt to translate the difference/conversion between the two.

Wish me luck!
Today I tried

Last set barbell bench press : 3 x 235. Couldn’t go bananas because wife was spotting me.

Felt like I was doing it in a windstorm. My form was pitiful and I was wiggling all over the place on the bench wasting energy. I think if I get used to the movement and cut down my flailing, I can increase the weight in relatively short order because when I got in a good slot of movement, I could push pretty good with my chest.

Right shoulder is effed.🤕

We’re also safer than ever but if you asked my grandmother she believes everyone in any major city gets shot daily. Every time I go to Chicago she begs me not to go 😂
That’s incorrect. We were much safer about 10 years ago.

I really like RedCon1. Mentioned them before. They do a lot of bundle and stack deals. I've been rotatating between the Rocket Bomb Cake Pop, Waffles and Syrup and their Cookies and Cream.. All very solid flavors. Their protein bars are great in a pinch, as are some of their protein brownies and muffins.. although with any edible protein snacks, they aren't as effective as powder form.

This is what I meant to post the other day haha. Guy today at the gym had the only 45's 50's and 55's by his bench (40's up to the 150s only have 1 set).. Granted it was a dead day at the gym, but still. You basically erase an entire 15-20lb range for people while they just sit on the floor for 20 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: anthonys735
Today I tried

Last set barbell bench press : 3 x 235. Couldn’t go bananas because wife was spotting me.

Felt like I was doing it in a windstorm. My form was pitiful and I was wiggling all over the place on the bench wasting energy. I think if I get used to the movement and cut down my flailing, I can increase the weight in relatively short order because when I got in a good slot of movement, I could push pretty good with my chest.

Right shoulder is effed.🤕
I'd really suggest chilling on it for AWHILE. Great way to get injured. Without a pro you should probably focus on something like half that weight. Get your 10-15 reps on and save those shoulders. Better yet, stick to dumbbells.

Like I said, I've been doing it under tight supervision for several years now.

I can second the naked whey, but it doesn't taste great. I've been trying to eliminate a bunch of extra stuff and some of those powders are loaded with junk. Really been trying to hit protien without a shake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT