ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

Getting stronger. Maybe because I’m back using pre workout that I’m moving more weight. Who knows?

At my gym, you get 2 points for every check-in and 5 points for every class you take. Zooming close to collecting enough for a full month of nutrition training… which I know to be my kryptonite. If I get on a real plan, I should be on track for beach summer and my 55th birthday in September. (Goal: -75lbs, muscley, no meds)

using half chocolate, half vanilla protein powder and powdered peanut butter in my morning kale/blueberry smoothie. Pretty good.

Wife lifted with me today. Pretty strong chick.

75lbs in 5 months? That's a lot for you, bubba. No way it's possible without sacrificing that new strength and your goal to be muscley. If you lose amount, in that short period of time, that you're gonna have that skinny fat look. Trust me, I've been there. IMO, go get a body fat test done and use that as your goal. Be realistic.

Haven't stepped on a scale in 4 months because I didn't want to sabotage myself. Weight is definitely up but strength is through the roof. Injuries gone. Up 1 belt loop right now. That belt loop got pretty snug around XMas and back down comfy. I've been tempted AF to see where I'm at but held off. Anyway, 12-15% BF is the goal by 4th of July. Guessing that's 7-8% bf I need to loose. I'm told it'll be easy because of the reverse diet, increased metabolism, and additional muscle mass. WE. SHALL. SEE.

I'm trying to stop weighing myself, too. It seems that I'm going to be 175 pounds of something no matter what.

I can just control that composition of the 175 pounds.

Reactions: roguemocha
The last run of posts is exactly why I now have a home gym set up. Sometimes I miss hanging with people and shooting the shit but at this stage of life, I’m far happier at home. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I did a 24 minute EMOM yesterday and while I felt pretty good doing it, evidently it kicked my ass because I’m dead today. Give it a shot if you have a handicap bar in your bathroom:

Minute 1 - 135#x10 back squats
Minute 2 - 45#x10 KB swings
Minute 3 - :30 elbow plank

I did this yesterday. Easy peasy, with 2 slight adjustments.

1) 95 X 10 on the squats
2) 25 X 10 on the KB swings.

Not trying to be a hero. 😁

But Pretzel, I will do this with the weight you described in a couple weeks.

Reactions: pretzel__logic
75lbs in 5 months? That's a lot for you, bubba. No way it's possible without sacrificing that new strength and your goal to be muscley. If you lose amount, in that short period of time, that you're gonna have that skinny fat look. Trust me, I've been there. IMO, go get a body fat test done and use that as your goal. Be realistic.

Haven't stepped on a scale in 4 months because I didn't want to sabotage myself. Weight is definitely up but strength is through the roof. Injuries gone. Up 1 belt loop right now. That belt loop got pretty snug around XMas and back down comfy. I've been tempted AF to see where I'm at but held off. Anyway, 12-15% BF is the goal by 4th of July. Guessing that's 7-8% bf I need to loose. I'm told it'll be easy because of the reverse diet, increased metabolism, and additional muscle mass. WE. SHALL. SEE.
No 75 from where I started 2 years ago… #305 🫠. So, 28 more lbs in 5 months.

I have plateaued with weight/fat loss. Need to go hardcore on diet.

I lifted for the first time in 30 years with my son at UK orientation in the Elwood Hotel in Lexington - May 2022. My fears of soreness and injury averted.

Last edited:
I fight the sweet tooth monster myself. My wife buys the Breyers CarbSmart as well and it is generally the type of ice cream I eat. However, I still indulge in other sweets that sabotage my trying to eat better habits. Still fighting that one.
The move for me is to just stop eating any sweets because it's like crack to me. If I avoid them for a few weeks I lose the craving, but the moment I have chocolate or something the floodgates open. Same for fried food.

I'm trying to stop weighing myself, too. It seems that I'm going to be 175 pounds of something no matter what.

I can just control that composition of the 175 pounds.
You can, but it just takes a lot of work and dedication to diet and lifting 90% of the time. You've got to increase your calories / protein intake significantly and lift heavy 3-4x per week. On off days, do mobility, recovery and keep eating habits unchanged.

I was 185 for a decade+, but didn't put an emphasis on whole foods. Upped the diet and scaled back lifting from 6 to 4x per week, put on 15 pounds in 4 months, stronger on compound lifts. Body has gotten used to the increased caloric intake and I'm sitting at 195 now.

As @anthonys735 noted, our trainer friend says the cut will be easy, but I'm not so sure? I've gotten used to this meal plan and cutting 5-700 calories per day and increasing cardio, while maintaining muscle mass, strength and energy level seems easier said than done. Sure those will dip a little, but keeping them near bulk levels is the goal.

Just don’t stop making that bolognese, @Kooky Kats. 🤤
That’s the problem. I can’t stop making good food. It’s my not-so secret shame.

Saturday menu:

Guanciale Linguini Carbonara
Caesar Salad
Basque Cheesecake (this destroys Juniors NYC)

I have to cut the shit. But my 10yo son loves to help me cook and his pallet is bonkers. So I can’t keep feeding him beat-ass grilled chicken breasts and broccoli. Just eat less, I reckon.

However, on the bright note, I’ve toned down the drinking to a trickle…one night/week (giant tidal shift in my debauchery). Covid whiskey bar, working from home murdered my metabolism. I was drinking way too much.

No more need for chugging kombucha for trying to restore gut biome destruction from high proof whiskey.

And I’m not stopping at 230 goal, just gonna take my time for another 2 years and see what I can do.
Hit 230lbs (5'9") January last year (most ever for me) so I started watching what I eat and hit 200lbs by August. But as football season and the holidays rolled around, I got back up to 215lbs by the end of the year. Currently trying to get it back down and weighed 209lbs yesterday morning. Aiming for 190lbs and then hold.

Anyone else have to get fighting mad before working out or they don’t perform their best?

I like to find a video about modern men being weak then blast some Wage War lately and I’ve hitting PRs

What’s your method for those that get mad? Go into the void

I can just think of a few things/people and that does the trick for me lol. Used to be pre workout but quit that since heart attack. It’s actually just part of the routine mostly now but the right music can be plenty.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
In an effort to erase some fury:

85 x 15 DB Bench
:30 rest
205 x 15 Flat Bench
1:00 rest
85 x 15 DB Bench
215 x 10 Flat Bench
85 x 15 DB Bench
225 x 8 Flat Bench
85 x 15 DB Bench
225 x 8 Flat Bench

55 x 15 x 4 DB fly

90 x 12 x 4 pullover

BFR Cuff tricep killers.

Didn't really work and I was definitely not well rested.

^ this.

Zero rest. All fury this morning…

was greeted by two asshats camped out all over my arms eq… with all the weights reracked like amateurs. Pissed me off even harder.

Did a completely new arms routine and slaughtered myself.

Did the full stack on skull crusher machine x12 to finish.

Can’t move.

Now sitting in BMW dealer awaiting my loaner as they effed up my vert top last service. My attitude is baaad.

I’ve got a big workout planned for when get home. I’m pretty mad today and gonna compound that with some videos

We are going to see Geoffrey Asmus at Comedy Off Broadway tonight with Palmer's before. I plan to eat and drink like a pig tonight and get strict tomorrow since my schedule is now much more free,

Reactions: CSC81
In an effort to erase some fury:

85 x 15 DB Bench
205 x 15 Flat Bench
85 x 15 DB Bench
215 x 10 Flat Bench
85 x 15 DB Bench
225 x 8 Flat Bench
85 x 15 DB Bench
225 x 8 Flat Bench

55 x 15 x 4 DB fly

90 x 12 x 4 pullover

BFR Cuff tricep killers.

Didn't really work and I was definitely not well rested.
Your limited rest is nuts to me. Not nuts in a "you shouldn't do that" way. Nuts in "how the f do you do that?" way.

I’ve done rest/pause sets with great results before but not my fav. I have a buddy that swears by them. He’s lifted for 20 years

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Have done the peloton now 14 weeks in a row (there was a week in the middle when I went on a family vacation that I don’t count). In the last month I had food poisoning, a stomach virus last week, and am currently insanely congested with allergies. What this has done is it’s resulted in me currently being 6 feet tall and 161 lbs (as of yesterday). I tried to “take advantage” of my bouts of severe vomiting to really eat clean coming out of them and my currently complete lack of taste currently to really eat healthy. On Sundays my kids have been taking swim lessons in an indoor heated lap pool (30 mins for each of them) so I’ve been getting laps in while they do that. My people don’t swim so I look like I’m drowning when I swim and I’m awful at it so it’s actually an incredible workout for me. Overall I feel like I’m probably in the best shape I’ve been in in 5 years and with my shirt off I feel I’ve reached a point where people would go “I bet that guy used to be pretty fit in his 20s” which is all I’m going for. In general I just feel better and more energetic. Honestly I’m shocked how much this thread has inspired me. You guys are pretty damn impressive in here, way to represent the older guys. Hopefully I can start incorporating more wight training soon.

Was feeling good today and relatively easily repped out a set of #505x12 Deads on the trap bar, I’m not even trying to lift heavy really just felt good.

Moving #6060 in 35 seconds is pretty cool. Most non gym goers probably haven’t lifted #6000 this year if you don’t count body weight.

Easy to see why once people quit physical activity, their body composition changes quickly.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Started my cut Feb 4th. Down to 180 flat. Started at around 195. Goal is 170 to 160. Then gonna start lifting.
Way to work! 👏🏼, love the mindset. I am curious why you’ve decided to wait to start lifting.

I have no idea your background but for most people it would be good to start earlier. If you’re just getting comfortable moving around again, your approach makes total sense depending on how long it takes to she’s the weight.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Way to work! 👏🏼, love the mindset. I am curious why you’ve decided to wait to start lifting.

I have no idea your background but for most people it would be good to start earlier. If you’re just getting comfortable moving around again, your approach makes total sense depending on how long it takes to she’s the weight.
Would like to get small and see how I look then start recomp if necessary. Which im sure I’ll need too.

I’m under 30 and 5’9”-5’10”. No crash diet or restricting (other than coke). Just eating less and tracking my calories on a phone app.

Would like to get small and see how I look then start recomp if necessary. Which im sure I’ll need too.

I’m under 30 and 5’9”-5’10”. No crash diet or restricting (other than coke). Just eating less and tracking my calories on a phone app.
Brother no man wants to be “small”, pick up weights right now and start building lean, succulent mass

That’s correct! With adjustable DBs you can do squats, Bulgarians, Deads etc for legs and of course we all know how to hit uppers.

Seriously, learn to love the awfulness of leg days! They will increase your gains of all kinds more than any other muscle group but will be AWFUL, especially at first.

Keep us informed brother! We’re here to help!

- Back lifting more my usual weight and man, I had gotten used to not having the aches of heavy weights, lord am I hurting all over but feels good, just forgot about it lol.

Lifting today and then bjj and yoga for a couple days to start the week only.

Pair of adjustable dumbbells and weights is all you need to get started. You can start adding in a kettlebell, barbell, and cage as you go.. I workout at home
Could just start with a body weight routine and/or suspension trainer. Love my TRX.

Lifting will also speed up the process of hitting your goal weight.

Pair of adjustable dumbbells and weights is all you need to get started. You can start adding in a kettlebell, barbell, and cage as you go.. I workout at home
Bowflex 1090’s are the absolute best “fitness investment” investment I’ve ever made. Adjustable dumbbells that go from 10 to 90 pounds in 2.5 lb increments. I use micro plates (0.25 lb increments) attached to my hands with shoe strings to make the weight increase even smaller for pressing movements.

There’s nothing I can’t do with them for my goals, as I’m not looking to go super heavy anyway. And even then, I chain the two dumbbells together to rep out some ugly rep single-arm rows (currently at 145 on those for working sets; slowly but surely looking to get to that 180 lb).

I always loved the stories of those Soviet era bodybuilders literally using anything they could find to get in a lift. Standing around in a mud pit lifting, pushing, and pulling bricks, cinder blocks, buckets filled with who knows what, metal rods attached to iron scraps, etc.

Last edited:
I always loved the stories of those Soviet era bodybuilders literally using anything they could find to get in a lift. Standing around in a mud pit lifting, pushing, and pulling bricks, cinder blocks, buckets filled with who knows what, metal rods attached to iron scraps, etc.

I live in a super rocky area, I’ve gone out and found 3 or 4 different size rocks and pressed them, carried overhead, squatted, etc

If there’s a will, there’s a way

Like I don’t have a squat rack so I just do zercher squats. Absolutely brutal on the core and quads

It's weird. I've lost 15 pounds, but I can't tell any difference, other than clothes being baggy on me. My family notices, though. Guess just a weird brain thing.

Zerchers are great for you posture too and tbh I can’t help but judge people with bad posture.

I feel like, damn man, you’re so tired and lazy you can’t even hold yourself up straight…

And yes @RunninRichie you may always have that head game my man.

I’ve put on #70 on muscle since high school/college and I still see myself as a “slight-framed” which is ridiculous but it’s in my still my head, I’m always #130-140 dude. It takes me aback anytime someone mentions my “size”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT