ADVERTISEMENT

First impression of Pope

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
It's way too early to reach any conclusions but I think the early returns are very good. Have seen nothing that has set off alarms. Info from specific recruitments is limited until its imminent in a lot of cases so it leaves a lot to the imagination. We know NIL is a driving factor in all of this. Pope doesn't want it to be all about that or the deciding thing even if it's part of the process but it's definitely a part of it.

Having said that, when you look at the staff he assembled and the roster of players he is just starting to put together, I like the strategy. Locking up several tough older players, getting that defensive/mindset foundation, Oweh easy to get excited about. Chandler is really intriguing if he can shake off the rust. Two conference defensive players of the year. I just assume he is going to roll out some shooters. May be some guys we don't expect. Will it be a team that wins the SEC in year 1? Probably not my expectation. But in this NIL era, I like the moves he's made so far. Long way to go and it will say something about him how well he's able to fill out the back of that scholarship roster, or as far as he goes with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News