ADVERTISEMENT

Final 2023 RSCI rankings

-Reed comes in at a very respectable 33rd.

-Also a name from the past, football, that is. Edgerrin James' son down at 68. I always liked Edgerrin. Guess Ill be paying somewhat attention to UC basketball this season.

-Another name and I can't believe he's down in the 80s, but Rayvon Griffith is a fantastic player. I have a hard time believing there are 79 players better than him. 35-40? Maybe. 79, no way.

I find it interesting that Collier is 1 after DJ punked him at McDonald’s, then DJ flew to Collier’s home area for a game the next night, Collier sat out, DJ punked Collier’s team with a last second 3.

Not kidding at all, that sequence would have been enough for me to drop him.

Kind of reminds me of when Lonzo Ball was picked ahead of Fox in the draft, like our eyes were deceiving us when Fox abused Ball in the Sweet 16. Can’t imagine where the Lakers might be if they had paid attention to what was right in front of them (or picked Tatum, for that matter).

I find it interesting that Collier is 1 after DJ punked him at McDonald’s, then DJ flew to Collier’s home area for a game the next night, Collier sat out, DJ punked Collier’s team with a last second 3.

Kind of reminds me of when Lonzo Ball was picked ahead of Fox in the draft, like our eyes were deceiving us when Fox abused Ball in the Sweet 16. Can’t imagine where the Lakers might be if they had paid attention to what was right in front of them (or picked Tatum, for that matter).
I am wondering the same thing.

How in the world can some of these services justify dropping Wagner after his performances on the big stages (like the McD’s Game and Iverson Game) this Spring?

I would say it’s the Kentucky effect, but Edwards and Bradshaw are ranked high.

Wagner and Bradshaw should be swapped, IMHO.

Bet Wagner has a stronger showing, at least in their one year of college, which is all I really care about.
Agreed I don’t get how anyone has Bradshaw ranked over Wagner when watching both of them through AAU and HS together . It’s been pretty clear who is the alpha on those teams yet Bradshaw jumped Wagner on every recruiting site.

Pretty weird but at least we have them both .

Last edited:
I am wondering the same thing.

How in the world can some of these services justify dropping Wagner after his performances on the big stages (like the McD’s Game and Iverson Game) this Spring?

I would say it’s the Kentucky effect, but Edwards and Bradshaw are ranked high.
To be fair guys Collier did drop 25, on uncharacteristically bad free throw shooting, and is a superior athlete to Wagner. Not saying I’d prefer him, but they’ll usually use size/athleticism a lot in these rankings for projection purposes.

Having 3 guys in the top 5-6 is huge for this program under Cal. While we fret over depth, role players, returners, etc. this program’s success under Cal is completely driven by NBA talent.

There are so many qualifiers to add and is not an indication of the current state of affairs but:

Calipari has 14 years here.
In years he has multiple guys drafted in the top 20- we have made the second weekend of the tournament every time. 8/8 years
In years he does not have multiple guys drafted in the top 20- he has never made the second weekend. 0/6 years.

I’m not saying the second weekend is a success but I think we can all agree not making it is a failure. Pretty clear recipe based on the above.

To be fair guys Collier did drop 25, on uncharacteristically bad free throw shooting, and is a superior athlete to Wagner. Not saying I’d prefer him, but they’ll usually use size/athleticism a lot in these rankings for projection purposes.

Having 3 guys in the top 5-6 is huge for this program under Cal. While we fret over depth, role players, returners, etc. this program’s success under Cal is completely driven by NBA talent.

There are so many qualifiers to add and is not an indication of the current state of affairs but:

Calipari has 14 years here.
In years he has multiple guys drafted in the top 20- we have made the second weekend of the tournament every time. 8/8 years
In years he does not have multiple guys drafted in the top 20- he has never made the second weekend. 0/6 years.

I’m not saying the second weekend is a success but I think we can all agree not making it is a failure. Pretty clear recipe based on the above.
Trouble is college basketball has changed since then with the portal and now those are the teams winning.

Reactions: bookerfan66

My understanding is these high school rankings are a predictor of future draft position or what the players will ultimately become as professional players.

So, in that sense the ranking order could prove to be correct eventually, even though Wagner might be a more impactful player as a college freshman than Collier or other higher ranked players.

But Collier is more of a physical specimen, which may play into the reason for higher ranking. Still, I’m with you. For next season I would certainly take Wagner based on what I’ve seen.

I hope Wagner comes in wanting to prove them wrong and to show that he is the chosen one. I think he is an Alpha that wants the ball for the last shot.

I think we should start hanging recruiting banners.
Which team ”won” in recruiting based on rankings from a recruiting service is easy to determine. And I agree with what I think is your position, namely that those kind of ‘titles” are largely unimportant and irrelevant. But what if folks with a lot of knowledge and credibility on the issue assessed the impact a recruiting class had on winning college games for their team? I would really be interested in seeing that ranking.

Anyone know if that kind of ranking has ever been done?

Collier was the leading scorer in the game with 25? I for sure wouldnt say Wagner punked him.

Reactions: Fancatstik
Agreed I don’t get how anyone has Bradshaw ranked over Wagner when watching both of them threw AAU and HS together . It’s been pretty clear who is the alpha on those teams yet Bradshaw jumped Wagner on every recruiting site.

Pretty weird but at least we have them both .
I'm certainly no expert and no idea who should be what but they also have to consider ceilings. It's possible they think Bradshaw could be better long term.

Idk for a while collier was all the west had. That guy imo is the best pg in the class. DJ had a great second half but collier start to finish was dominant for his side.

Might as well, y’all give other schools transfer portal and NIL banners.
I think it's totally groovy that you pick on UK fans who are frustrated with the program. I'm just glad that continue being that contrarian guy who argues with an underlying implication that the concerns of fans are misplaced, because that's what this message board really needs. Contrarians to point out how backwards UK fans are right now.

Keep fighting that good fight, sporto. Your motives for posting on this message board are totally pure and always have been, Leadbelly.

I don’t have a problem with Collier being ranked first, but really don’t see how Wagner was dropped that far. Collier and Wagner both played well, but Collier is number one while Wagner fell to 6.

Regardless, Wagner is better than Bradshaw, and should be top five at the very least.

At least that is my opinion.

I think it's totally groovy that you pick on UK fans who are frustrated with the program. I'm just glad that continue being that contrarian guy who argues with an underlying implication that the concerns of fans are misplaced, because that's what this message board really needs. Contrarians to point out how backwards UK fans are right now.

Keep fighting that good fight, sporto. Your motives for posting on this message board are totally pure and always have been, Leadbelly.
If you want to continuously attack the program with the same whiny crybaby BS everyday in peace, maybe do it on a UL or a UT board. You may get some blowback doing it every day in front of UK fans. Most UK fans are over yall making the exact same posts ad naseaum every single day. Then when someone tries to be the voice of reason y’all attack them weirdly accuse them of being some other person. Your schtick is lame and old.

If you want to continuously attack the program with the same whiny crybaby BS everyday in peace, maybe do it on a UL or a UT board. You may get some blowback doing it every day in front of UK fans. Most UK fans are over yall making the exact same posts ad naseaum every single day. Then when someone tries to be the voice of reason y’all attack them weirdly accuse them of being some other person. Your schtick is lame and old.
"Most UK" fans don't stand with you. Most UK fans are deeply concerned. If you don't see that, you're obviously not even around UK fans of any type.

Also, do you want John Calipari to be the Kentucky coach? Simple question that I've never seen you answer before.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
U6 with 2 of the top 33. They gonna make it to 10 wins? Some of the people on the U6 board are guaranteeing a tourney bid.

"Most UK" fans don't stand with you. Most UK fans are deeply concerned. If you don't see that, you're obviously not even around UK fans of any type.

Also, do you want John Calipari to be the Kentucky coach? Simple question that I've never seen you answer before.
If I had my choice I would rather have a different coach. I really just want him to fix the offense and stop being so stubborn. That said, crying about the same thing every day is lame and doesn’t help anything.

You have no idea who I’m around. All you do is post the same crybaby BS everyday then accuse any poster who disagrees with you of being some other poster. You’re Leadbelly you’re Frosty Tips, you’re a JMI employee, well you’re a habitual liar.

Simple question, why do you always lie and accuse everyone of being some other poster when they disagree with you?

Unless leadbelly is Marc maggard then that ain’t leadbelly who by the way was a tremendous music artist.

Unless leadbelly is Marc maggard then that ain’t leadbelly who by the way was a tremendous music artist.
When are y’all gonna get your lies straight? You can’t figure out your lie about NIL, and none of you can figure out your pathetic lie about who I am. LOL at these low quality human beings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT