ADVERTISEMENT

Feinstein Responds to Bozich

Joneslab

Senior
Sep 22, 2005
Louisville
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - John Feinstein is one of the best and most prolific sports authors of the last 30 years. He's spent more time on the New York Times best-seller list than most college basketball coaches have in the Associated Press Top 25.

Two years ago Feinstein was named the winner of the Curt Gowdy Award by the Naismith Basketball of Fame. He's terrific.

Feinstein is also one of 65 voters in the AP college basketball poll. In fact, he is the only voter currently voting Virginia first and Kentucky second.

On Tuesday, I wrote about how Kentucky is not Virginia (the link) - and Virginia is not Kentucky. Both teams are 19-0. That is where the similarities end.

I mentioned five factors:

1. The times each program has been called everybody's Super Bowl; 2. The number of McDonald's all-Americans on each team; 3. The NBA Draft picks each school has produced the last four seasons; 4. Famous recruiting tussles between the teams and 5. How many times each team has scored 80 or more this season.

Somebody sent a link to the story to Feinstein, a guy I respect immensely and have known for more than three decades.

John sent me an e-mail with comments about the story on Wednesday morning. He said I could share it at WDRB.com.

Here is his response:

"Hey, Rick - Someone just sent me your Kentucky-UVa column. I'm honestly not sure why anyone in Kentucky CARES that I've voted UVA #1 the last three weeks, except I guess that it's me and I'm evil incarnate.

I'm guessing if the kid in Indy (Zach Osterman of the Indy Star) had voted UVA #1 this week instead of me it would have barely been noticed. I gotta say your five points are pretty much EXACTLY why I've voted for UVA!

1. Everybody's Super Bowl. If that's the criteria, then Duke has to be #1 every week since 1992 regardless of record...

2. McDonald's All Americans. Really? Who cares? I admire teams that win without McD AA's, who are often determined by who they sign with -- as in Kentucky, Duke, UNC. JOEY BEARD was a McDonald's All American. Joe Smith was not. There are a hundred like examples...

3. NBA draft picks? How in the world is that relevant to THIS season? And, again I love teams that win with great college players. No one did that better than (former Indiana coach Bob) Knight. How many future NBA All-Stars played for U-Conn last year? But they WON...

4. Recruiting battles? (UK coach John) Calipari recruits one-and-dones who are passing through Kentucky not going to school there. I feel the same way, BTW, about the one-and-dones at Duke (Feinstein is a Duke grad). Please don't tell me that Kyrie Irving is a "Duke alumnus." Most of Bennett's players will stay 3 or 4 years and graduate. I prefer his style but both apparently work....

5. Scoring 80 points or more? Bennett's style is 100 percent opposite that. It may not be pretty--Kentucky this year ain't exactly pretty either--but it works and HAS worked for years."

One thing more. John wasn't finished. He is not happy that that UTEP-Kentucky game might not be played next season, 50 years after Texas Western's landmark victory over Adolph Rupp and the Wildcats in the 1966 NCAA title game that was played in College Park, Md.

Texas Western was the first NCAA champ to start five African-Americans, defeating a Kentucky program that had yet to integrate. He added this:

"Far more relevant is Kentucky's refusal to play UTEP on the 50th anniversary of the most important college game ever played. Kentucky people always yammer about how Rupp was unfairly cast as a racist, villain. Fine, let's play the game and let the story be told from BOTH sides. THAT matters, not my stupid vote in the AP poll…"

It's interesting that almost all his arguments about the team are sort of outside the framework of looking at them as basketball teams and more about personal preference.

Makes you wonder if he's voting based on his preconceived notions of what is "admirable," or whether he's voting in an attempt to try and compare the two teams.

Certainly sounds subjective.

And in some ways idiotic. Duke definitely has to fend off "the other team's Super Bowl," but that doesn't mean that Kentucky is immune to it. Kentucky gets that treatment just as much. And anybody who doesn't think pros and McDonald's All-Americans are essential is an idiot. One can come up with anecdotal evidence to support the opposite viewpoint, but "Who cares?" as a response to how many pros a team has is about as bad as it gets.

Awww, here we go....

(insert eating popcorn GIF here)
This post was edited on 1/28 1:13 PM by OldEvilleCat

To Feinstein UK is the Evil Empire with Darth Vader and Virginia and Duke are the Rebellion with Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

I LOVE being Darth Vader!!!

He is such a pompous jerk!!

In some ways I'm glad there are John Feinsteins in the college basketball world.

Every team needs a chip on its shoulder. This is why losses can be good, and sometimes essential.

If this team works through the season without a loss, the Feinsteins of the world are going to be Cal's only ammunition against the lazy play that sometimes accompany hellish winning streaks.

This post was edited on 1/28 1:18 PM by Joneslab

I so want UK to play UVA. Geez how ignorant a guy can make money these days. (I don't want UK to play UVA due to this guy.) Just want all doubt removed. Uh, ah, what if....that will be the story a year from now if UK doesn't steam roll UVA unless another team does it first or a couple teams. (Which is not unlikely.)

Thats all a cop out, why did he even address it if it is so irrelevant? He is human he has a agenda plain and simple, if his stupid vote means nothing he should have nit even commented.

I forgot to even address the UTEP game, why would we get in that its all so the buzzards can pick again thats a no brainer made for tv hype.

Originally posted by jrm693:
Thats all a cop out, why did he even address it if it is so irrelevant? He is human he has a agenda plain and simple, if his stupid vote means nothing he should have nit even commented.
He might not be irrelevant but he's coming close these days.
This post was edited on 1/28 11:33 AM by Smashcat

Feinstein is right about one thing, his vote doesn't matter. Let them tee it up in March and see how relevant his vote is.

We have offered to play UTEP (Texas-Western) at home in Rupp. There is no refusal to play on our part. Just that we can't play a road/neutral game and lose revenue.

I guess we should star being proactive regarding our scheduling. Maybe we should run to the press first and say UTEP is backing out and refusing to schedule the game. The truth is there was never an agreement to play, both sides looked into it and apparently neither felt comfortable enough with the other sides proposals.

Several things are noteworthy about this exchange. Not sure if JF knows this but Bozich is hardly a UK apologist, which it almost comes across like that given RB's column. JF is right that a couple of RB's points are very irrelevant to the debate about who is #1. However, it's obvious that JF's antipathy for UK shines like a beacon in a storm when he gives his reasons for his voting, but even more so when he talks about the UTEP game.

Why does it matter one iota to him whether that game is played? His only reason for wanting it is so that the media can dig up all the Rupp and race stuff. Then he says that we can use the game to clear all of that up. Give me a break. There has been 50 yrs of discussion about all of that. One meaningless game is not going to settle anything. Finally, UK doesn't benefit in any way from playing UTEP. Only UTEP and the media do.

Originally posted by gossie21:
We have offered to play UTEP (Texas-Western) at home in Rupp. There is no refusal to play on our part. Just that we can't play a road/neutral game and lose revenue.

I guess we should star being proactive regarding our scheduling. Maybe we should run to the press first and say UTEP is backing out and refusing to schedule the game. The truth is there was never an agreement to play, both sides looked into it and apparently neither felt comfortable enough with the other sides proposals.
Feinstein has been a UK detractor for decades. If he wasn't unhappy about UTEP he'd be complaining about something else related to UK.

I don't want John Feinstein voting for UK. It will show he has some intelligence and he doesn't. This man has hated UK since 1978 (at least) He has an agenda and there is no need fighting him Let him stew in his hatred.

He hates Adolph Rupp for some reason but Uncle Adolph had a very wise way to handle his type. Coach Rupp said don't get into a fight with a reporter who buys ink by the barrel. With the internet and multiple blogs we don't have to get into fights with the likes of John Feinstein. He is what he is.

so reading that it tells me he will never vote for UK until Virginia loses.

and it has nothing to do with whether he thinks Virginia is a better basketball team

Originally posted by Smashcat:
Originally posted by gossie21:

Feinstein has been a UK detractor for decades. If he wasn't unhappy about UTEP he'd be complaining about something else related to UK.
No doubt. Feinstein covered the 1978 Duke team as a student reporter, and losing to UK in the final broke his heart.

I'm just thinking about the UTEP and the IU scheduling issues. I have no problem with the way UK has gone about scheduling. I am glad we don't play IU anymore because their fans are the vilest group around. I just hate the intellectual dishonesty from the media who claim that we are the ones always standing in the way of scheduling. We offered IU a spot on our schedule, same with UTEP. Both schools declined our offer.

LOL

ROTF LMAO LOL

I just about split a gut laughing at John Foolstein's remarks to Bozo. Talk about the blind leading the blind!

Frankly, I could care less about who Fartstein votes for in a meaningless mid-season poll and what reasons he dreams up to justify his absurd fantasies. This whole unanimous vote thing was cooked-up and is being touted by a website that proudly proclaims "Facts are optional". Both parties kind of deserve each other as far as that goes.
'
Of far greater importance, Feiney might like to recall that Duke was part of the Final Four that were defeated by Texas Western in 1966--an ALL-WHITE DUKE team by the way. That was the way things were in the south in 1966, don't let him tell your otherwise. To hold up the moral and societal values of 2015 and bind and stone the men and women of fifty years ago in both Durham and Lexington with them doesn't speak to anything other than ignorance...ignorance of history and ignorance of our country's checkered experience in human rights altogether.

With just a little bit of maneuvering it could be Puke vs UT El Paso next year, with a home-and-home for the next 30 years if they want. After all, Duke is a part of this historic racial equality landmark in America, and no one wants to hold their feet to the fire. Where's the outrage over that grievance, Johnny? How could we not celebrate TWU's ascendency over a racially segregated Puke University and its band of white boys on the same weekend Kentucky fell?

If it's Kentucky's burden on this anniversary to play a pointless game against an uncompetitive and unranked team, then surely as a bastion of honor and integrity pUKe must assume some moral conviction here too. I'm sure a big-shot like Feiney could make that happen just by staring down that idiot Tim Floyd (whose only claim to fame to date is taking the world champion Chicago Bulls into the tank, where they have resided for twenty years) and barking like a St Bernard at him. One thing is for sure: Duke would feel right at home in a former airplane hanger of a gym in West Texas because they play in a similar crap-cradle in Durham.

All JF does whenever he opens his mouth about Kentucky is prove further what an irrational and venomous turd he is...a Fiein-turd to borrow Phyllis in Birmingham's term.
It's fair game to lambast Kentucky for the one-and-done players but not rail against the NBA cherry-picking the college game bare? It's cool not to check the facts and know that UK basketball maintains a B average or has kids returning for degrees? It's kosher to downplay the many young men UK has prepared for a life in their chosen profession on the hardwood while failing to mention that a Duke law degree will get you only a job as a radio host for the hundred thousand bucks it cost for you to get it?Just tell me, Dookie, who is preparing young men of elite physical or mental talent more thoroughly and successfully for their lives? UK or Duke? That's gonna' be a tough sell comparing multi-millions in NBA money to the sixty-thousand dollar a year servitude and bondage of junior level law clerks.

I absolutely cannot WAIT for K to retire so small-peckered "men of Duke" like Feinstein can explain why their program goes back to the just slightly above-average team they have been historically. They will NOT sustain what K has built because they will be too bound to a Duke grad (none of whom have accomplished SQUAT) as their coach. Nor is the will to sustain present on that campus. Look at all those Asian kids and East Coast scions in Cameron and tell me one tenth of those students will give a rat's patootie about roundball ten years from now. I am going to be laughing my ass off as we collect 10,11,12,13,14 and 15 with your miserable, fat butt parked in the upper arena seats, Johnny.

These are the things that Fein-fool and Bozo need to be wasting bandwidth on, not promoting fallacies or yapping about the self-serving polls and votes of hateful scribes whose lies can't stand the light of day.

This post was edited on 1/28 12:36 PM by Samwise Ganjee

People really pay attention to how individual people vote in the polls
roll.r191677.gif
? Hell, I don't even care about the poll itself. Sparks conversation I guess.

GBB!!!

Last I saw we had our schedule for next year almost figured out and have told UTEP we would play them the next year. Our haters are mad about it because they wanted to be able to write a negative article about us. If I was Cal I would agree to play them for a coupe of years to show it's no big deal to us and nobody really cares except for the UK haters.

I love how he brings up the 1966 game for no reason. Man I wish we would love lost to that all-white Duke team in the semifinals. But I guess he doesn't care about that fact.

Originally posted by UKErik:
People really pay attention to how individual people vote in the polls
roll.r191677.gif
? Hell, I don't even care about the poll itself. Sparks conversation I guess.

GBB!!!
I like the above comments. So true.

There will be a final poll taken after a team cuts down the nets in April. I want that team to be the Kentucky Wildcats. All of the polls taken during the season mean nothing. Last year Florida was getting the votes in the regular season but the trophy was taken home by another team.

Let's bring the trophy to Lexington and let John Feinstein vote, vote, vote.

""Far more relevant is Kentucky's refusal to play UTEP on
the 50th anniversary of the most important college game ever played.
Kentucky people always yammer about how Rupp was unfairly cast as a
racist, villain. Fine, let's play the game and let the story be told
from BOTH sides. THAT matters, not my stupid vote in the AP poll…"

How about let's let Duke play them since their team was just as white as ours in 1966?

I think this sumbitch should just be ignored, including his little paltry vote. Going on and on about it only gives him a platform to let his ish spew out of his mouth.

Originally posted by Joneslab:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - John Feinstein is one of the best and most prolific sports authors of the last 30 years. He's spent more time on the New York Times best-seller list than most college basketball coaches have in the Associated Press Top 25.

Two years ago Feinstein was named the winner of the Curt Gowdy Award by the Naismith Basketball of Fame. He's terrific.

Feinstein is also one of 65 voters in the AP college basketball poll. In fact, he is the only voter currently voting Virginia first and Kentucky second.

On Tuesday, I wrote about how Kentucky is not Virginia (the link) - and Virginia is not Kentucky. Both teams are 19-0. That is where the similarities end.

I mentioned five factors:

1. The times each program has been called everybody's Super Bowl; 2. The number of McDonald's all-Americans on each team; 3. The NBA Draft picks each school has produced the last four seasons; 4. Famous recruiting tussles between the teams and 5. How many times each team has scored 80 or more this season.

Somebody sent a link to the story to Feinstein, a guy I respect immensely and have known for more than three decades.

John sent me an e-mail with comments about the story on Wednesday morning. He said I could share it at WDRB.com.

Here is his response:

"Hey, Rick - Someone just sent me your Kentucky-UVa column. I'm honestly not sure why anyone in Kentucky CARES that I've voted UVA #1 the last three weeks, except I guess that it's me and I'm evil incarnate.

I'm guessing if the kid in Indy (Zach Osterman of the Indy Star) had voted UVA #1 this week instead of me it would have barely been noticed. I gotta say your five points are pretty much EXACTLY why I've voted for UVA!

1. Everybody's Super Bowl. If that's the criteria, then Duke has to be #1 every week since 1992 regardless of record...

2. McDonald's All Americans. Really? Who cares? I admire teams that win without McD AA's, who are often determined by who they sign with -- as in Kentucky, Duke, UNC. JOEY BEARD was a McDonald's All American. Joe Smith was not. There are a hundred like examples...

3. NBA draft picks? How in the world is that relevant to THIS season? And, again I love teams that win with great college players. No one did that better than (former Indiana coach Bob) Knight. How many future NBA All-Stars played for U-Conn last year? But they WON...

4. Recruiting battles? (UK coach John) Calipari recruits one-and-dones who are passing through Kentucky not going to school there. I feel the same way, BTW, about the one-and-dones at Duke (Feinstein is a Duke grad). Please don't tell me that Kyrie Irving is a "Duke alumnus." Most of Bennett's players will stay 3 or 4 years and graduate. I prefer his style but both apparently work....

5. Scoring 80 points or more? Bennett's style is 100 percent opposite that. It may not be pretty--Kentucky this year ain't exactly pretty either--but it works and HAS worked for years."

One thing more. John wasn't finished. He is not happy that that UTEP-Kentucky game might not be played next season, 50 years after Texas Western's landmark victory over Adolph Rupp and the Wildcats in the 1966 NCAA title game that was played in College Park, Md.

Texas Western was the first NCAA champ to start five African-Americans, defeating a Kentucky program that had yet to integrate. He added this:

"Far more relevant is Kentucky's refusal to play UTEP on the 50th anniversary of the most important college game ever played. Kentucky people always yammer about how Rupp was unfairly cast as a racist, villain. Fine, let's play the game and let the story be told from BOTH sides. THAT matters, not my stupid vote in the AP poll…"
laugh.r191677.gif
You could fill a gallon bucket with all that BS.

Feinstein hates UK and is a complete bitch about it. He always has been and always will be. Screw him.

I'm sure Bozich was just an innocent bystander poking the bear with the stick in all of this

Originally posted by BBUK:

I so want UK to play UVA. Geez how ignorant a guy can make money these days. (I don't want UK to play UVA due to this guy.) Just want all doubt removed. Uh, ah, what if....that will be the story a year from now if UK doesn't steam roll UVA unless another team does it first or a couple teams. (Which is not unlikely.)
Playing UVA now makes sense, might not make as much unless they prove otherwise in March. I expect they could have 3 or so losses come selection sunday.

I think it is pretty simple really. The reason to be the one, lone dissenting vote is to get attention. It gets people to talk about him. Doesn't really matter what he believes.

Actually, I felt he was being pretty honest on the things he dislikes about Kentucky. His perception is shared by some others too. It doesn't mean it is correct, but the perception that Kentucky is one-and-done University is certainly a common theme. He neglects to focus on all the returning veterans who come back year after year or those who even come back to attend more classes, or the grades that the players achieve, or that one of the reasons this team is doing well is because most of the players did return.

His view that the Texas Western game should be played next year is funny for such an "expert." Please find me that program today! It doesn't exist. Playing UTEP would be fine if you want a one sided contest but when I first read about the possibility of this game even taking place it sounded idiotic. But, no matter what you think, it has nothing to do with picking Virginia over Kentucky. Maybe what would be more fun is to get the original players to play a seniors game because that would be equally laughable (for those still with us and can stand on their feet).

Regarding picking Virginia, it is a decent debate. No one knows for sure how any contest outcome will be until the game is played. I think either Kentucky or Virginia may lose a game or two (more likely Virginia) rendering any of this debate moot. I also can see that he likes the underdog of a team with no big name recruits so to speak. Each year in the tourney there is a team that fits that description and it makes for a nice story for the first and rarely second week of the tourney and then they lose. I get it and if unbiased you do have to appreciate Virginia achieving what they have so far. I don't know that makes for a legitimate reason to vote them number one, but O.K. until they lose, he can do it. We did have two overtime games to their one, and we have looked so-so on offense in a couple games even though we won. He can use that as a rationalization I suppose. Interestingly, though, he didn't use that one possible legitimate argument, so there is little doubt his feelings as again he honestly shared them.

Originally posted by UKGrad93:

I think it is pretty simple really. The reason to be the one, lone dissenting vote is to get attention. It gets people to talk about him. Doesn't really matter what he believes.
1000% THIS^^^

He is a genius at the entertainment business and hides behind the journalism business. He knows how to ring the cash register.

He writes stories about people we love to hate...Bobby Knight ... boring accounts about golf pro whining about how tough their life is. CHACHING

The OAD or 2AD is here to stay. In 50 years people will call individuals such as this guy a dinosaur. That needs to be said first and foremost.

His rant is extremely typical of someone who simply can't entertain the idea of situations progressing to a tune unwanted by themselves. Feinstein is emblematic of the typical chap from the 50's. He prefers the "matter of course" way that in a perfect world, would be perfect.

It's also shows impertinence on his part to suggest these kids (whom he doesn't know) can't love their university. By his logic, no one who leaves college with anything less than a degree can feel good about their experience. It's axtually lunacy the way he reads.

College, no matter what form, is about bettering your future. I know there's lots of ways to say it, but it's a systematic method of obtaining more. RN Nurses leave college after more than 60 hours credited. Did they cheat the college experience? Petroleum engineers only obtain a bachelors of Scinece. Do they not experience their education as an engineer? It's very troubling to listen to a professional rant about how 18 yr olds are somehow extorting him from the experience he wants.

OAD's who use college as a means to achieve their goals in life should be admired. Far too many label them as black sheep. Some of these guys could have simply went to China and make money immediately. But they chose the college experience. It's actually good for the sport. The alternative is NOT to back to 4 year players. The alternative is they really don't play at all. That would be excellent for the college game!! Please.

What an irrelevant clown. Nice red herring at the end, by the way: "My opinion of basketball is unimportant, but what IS important is that some basketball rematch is played where we get to show how Kentucky's players are mostly African American now, but weren't in '66 and that UTEP sucks. This is important because [blah, blah]." Idiot. Don't be an utter troll and then act put-upon to defend your trolling. Strip his vote. He's voting UVA for obvious spite.

Feinstein will never see this but, my response to his little whiney bitch ass would be...

UK- 94
DOOK- 88

Suck It!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT