ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite snow days

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
I was too young to remember '78. I was in my teens in January of '94 though. Everything was encased in ice, we were out of school for a month, and I watched The Shining for the first time.

https://www.facebook.com/ExploreKyWildlands/photos/a.301983334552565/635082607909301/

271166741_635082604575968_7614029273575037654_n.jpg

Reactions: luv2hit63
1977 was second to '78 in snow. 1977 was colder. 1994 should not be mentioned with these years. 1994 may have had individual areas where it was worse for a portion of the year.

Ice storm of 2009 was catastrophic.

Coyotes came in from Missouri and Illinois.

Last edited:
In 1978 I was in tech school at Chanute AFB in Illinois. We got just short of 2 feet of snowfall. But the wind was so strong it created drifts of up to 20 feet deep. We were made to stay in the dorm for 3 days. They brought in front loaders and dump trucks to clear the streets and dig out building entrances.

We partied our asses off those 3 days.

As I recollect, going south on I-75 from Cincy, it closed at the Florence Mall & was closed all the way to Knoxville ex maybe around Lex for several days. Hundreds of semis were parked in the Florence Mall lot for days. NKy DOT had enough road clearing equipment & there was enough traffic to keep 1-2 lanes open.

Also, in '77, our city hired backhoes to chip chunks of ice off the streets. It was 6-12" thick from the rain that was flowing down the streets till it got so cold so quick that the water froze in place. In '78, our basement garage doors had drifts up to the windows. I shoveled out one door & piled the snow in front of the other. I didn't get the 2nd door open till mid-March. I maneuvered our small 2nd car around the garage post & out the open door so that we had two vehicles.

I wasn't born until 1980, but my folks talk about 77 and 78 as being all-timers.

For me, it's either 1994 or 1998. I lived near Lexington. It feels like we got about 10-12 inches in 1998 and we didn't have school for at least a week. I was a junior. Spent a lot of time that week sledding with friends, cutting donuts in parking lots in my buddy's old 70s model Blazer, smoking a bunch of weed and having epic snowball fights. Good times.

Grew up near where the movie Ice Storm took place. Winter of 73. City paralyzed for 3 days. Lived on outskirts of town. pop walked a mile and a half to get supplies. Lived at bottom of where street flattened out. Acre lots. Sled took us 7 houses down and crossed into neighbors yard and looped around the backyard to finally slow down. To be a kid again.

Reactions: JDHoss
94 storm started with maybe 2" of ice, then the snow came.
And that compressed into a dry pack that would not stick.
Like hyproplaning on baby oil on a slipnslide.
The snow did make walking we easy because it was so high you couldn't fall down.

Last edited:
I remember both but I think 94 was worse because of the ice we got first. What also made it worse was the fact that quite a few meteorologists were calling for just an inch or two. The tech today has allowed weathermen to be far more accurate days in advance. Back then it what is now referred to as "nowcasting". Good times in 94. There was also a really big snow in 98 around March. Good sledding to be had then on what is now Heritage Hills golf course in Shepherdsville.

1977-78, sophomore in high school. The entire month of January our country schools were closed. Myself and two friends spent nearly every day hunting, trapping, sledding, target shooting, cooking pancakes.
One day we used a pair of water skis to ski on the snow.

Still have the metal peacock hand warmers. Some kids used plastic bread sacks over their converse shoes to keep their feet dry.
No internet, no cell phones, no microwaves. Favorite meal was Banquet sliced beef in gravy in a plastic bag. Just boil in water on the stove for 10 minutes, pour over bread, add some fries, oh I miss those days.

It's easy to take when it's only a few weeks out of the winter. Overall our fall has been uneventful and dry. Now it's January and people need to recall the survival ways of kerosene for emergency heat and food and drinks. Every thing else is extra when winter storms hit. I've done exactly what I would've done today if it was sunny.. gamble and watch NBA & EAT CHICKEN WINGS.

I remember both but I think 94 was worse because of the ice we got first. What also made it worse was the fact that quite a few meteorologists were calling for just an inch or two. The tech today has allowed weathermen to be far more accurate days in advance. Back then it what is now referred to as "nowcasting". Good times in 94. There was also a really big snow in 98 around March. Good sledding to be had then on what is now Heritage Hills golf course in Shepherdsville.
Two days prior they had a big snow and then the day before they call it off and was a dusting to 2 inches. I would still like to me a meteorologist. Only right 10% of the time but still collect a check.

94 is it for me. I was born in 78 so obviously dont remember it. The snow in 98 closed UK for the first time in 20+ years if IIRC. The ice storm was brutal in 2003 and 2009. So eerie hearing branches and tree snapping and waiting to hear what they land on in the distance.

Many years ago now, we had that last really huge snow. Our street joins traffic down a pretty steep hill so I made my wife promise to go the back way. Which she did, but I still got the call saying that she was stuck. The snow already on the street from the days before and snow freshly fallen created a little hill that the car wheels could gain no traction on. So, I showed up with a bag of litter, a snow shovel, and a broom. I looked so ridiculous she couldn't stop laughing. Thank heavens she didn't take a phone pic of me or I'd never live it down.

2003 was another big winter storm.

I will always remember this one for how much of an asshole I looked like to my parents.

I was living in southern Kentucky at the time. I was about 22. No home internet. No cell. No cable. We got cold rain. Nothing more.

One night, I got out the ole prepaid phone card and called my parents just to say hello. I had no idea what they were dealing with.

They informed me they got an ice storm and had been without power for three days and it was “nice of you to check on us” in a sarcastic tone.

They ended up being without electricity for 8 days. That Christmas, I got my first cell phone. Lol.

Was living in Louisville for Dental school in '77. Walked on the Frozen Ohio and my wife who was a nurse at Baptist East had to be picked up to get to the Hospital at our Apartment off Hikes Point for 10 days by the National Guard. The snow mounds created by parking lots being cleared lasted until March before they completely melted.

Was living in Louisville for Dental school in '77. Walked on the Frozen Ohio and my wife who was a nurse at Baptist East had to be picked up to get to the Hospital at our Apartment off Hikes Point for 10 days by the National Guard. The snow mounds created by parking lots being cleared lasted until March before they completely melted.
When Kentucky won the championship in 78, the following day we were playing basketball outside and it was warm, but there was a snow pile at least 6 to 8 ft high left over from winter.

1994 I was snowed in on campus at Pikeville College. They called off school for close to a week as I remember. We had the greatest time sledding on all those hills (that now contain buildings). In 1998, I was on campus at UK, living on Woodland Avenue. That was when we got like 12 inches in a day IIRC. Had a great time just drinking and goofing off for a couple days there as well. Great times.

As an adult, snow isn't so wonderful anymore.

I left the Mojave desert in January of 94 for 18 days leave before going to S Korea. Landed to the most snow I’d ever seen. Dad and the neighbor (his 4 wheel drive) somehow managed to pick me up even though most roads were closed. That was unreal driving through that

back in 94 I think we had like 2 feet of snow in Owensboro. Obviously out of school for a while. After the plows came through and made the big piles in front of everyone's yards my neighbor and I hollowed one out and made an igloo. You could even walk on top of it. However unlike the inuit people ours would probably not have been suitable for habitation for more than a few hours.

Remember this. Was a freshman at UK, trees were falling all over campus

I was a sophomore and lived on South Broadway right across from what was then Varsity Blue. We never lost power. So I spent 3 days playing video games (and my mom wonders why I failed out). Remember when we finally went back seeing a tree that had uprooted behind the B&E building and there was so much damn salt over the place that people were slipping around on that too. And random hunks of ice were falling on people walking to class.

Reactions: UKBrassowTipIN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT